Saturday, April 27, 2013

Saturday Post! And some totally uncoincidental news!

Really, cats? You yell and yell for me to get up and once I do, you guys fall asleep in my bed.

Catssss! *shakes fist*

(But so cute. Ammirite?)

 
----

Dibakar Banerjee talks about the film industry:

So Bollywood and corporates are in sync, politicians too understand this and join hands. So, now there is the new elite of these three. So, from morning to night, you are consuming what they are feeding; you brush from a paste endorsed by a star, wear a baniyan endorsed by a star, sit in a car endorsed by a star, eat chocolate endorsed by star, read an entertainment section of the paper that talks nothing but Bollywood, get cement to repair your water tank, again endorsed by a star, talk on the phone endorsed by a star, see a movie made by a corporate house, and listen to a star canvassing for a political party.

This has created a new feudal set up. All the three are feeding off each other. And they have taken over the popular imagination of the people of the country.

Not that he's wrong but this explains why "Apna Bombay Talkies" sucks so badly. Dibakar Banerjee is a fine filmmaker but he's making films for people like him, not for wide audiences, and he's said as much in previous interviews. I really wonder at the decision to include him in this "celebration" of 100 years of Indian film.

If it had been me in charge, I would have tried to get at least one segment directed by somebody like Kaashinathuni Vishwanath. Manoj Kumar. Ramesh Sippy. Even Subhash Ghai, Rakesh Roshan, or Honey Irani. A lot of old timers have passed away in the last few years, it would have been interesting to have a mature voice contribute a segment as well, before their voices are lost forever. I mean what if Yash Chopra had chosen to do a short film in his own style instead of Jab Tak Hai Jaan?

Check out photos from a screening. Mostly included for Ranveer Singh doing what he does best. He looks like he smells all sweaty and is going to whip that ball at somebody inappropriate... like Anupama Chopra. RANVEEE~EEER! ILU!

----

And, as if to prove Dibakar's point... I had to laugh when I read this.

Interestingly, while Ranbir's onscreen name in the Abhinav Kashyap's film is Pepsi, in real life he also endorses the cola brand of the same name.

Actually, not to get all pedantic but that is neither interesting nor a coincidence. I'm sure.

----

Gippi!!!! I've totally rocked those moves... by myself at a party. Heh. Go, Gippi, go!

----

And a song teaser from Maryan.

No comments:

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl