Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wednesday Post: Golmaal, golmaal, everything's gonna be golmaal!

To mangle an old saying: If Dhoom 3 is filming and Abhishek Bachchan has a function to attend and leaves… does anybody notice?

Just kidding! What would Dhoom be without our A.C.P. Jai Dixit? The bad guy needs to be chased by somebody! Is anybody else anticipating the crazy camera angles Vicky will have to use to fit both Abhishek and Aamir into the same frame? *ba da boom*

Dhoom 3! I can't wait! And, you know, it's funny. After all the serious things I'd been thinking about, last night while I was walking home, I was thinking that it might be a good time to re-start my 100 Crore Club series. I left off with Golmaal 3, which I had re-watched but never wrote about. I absolutely would not mind watching that movie again. (I think this would make 5 times I'll have seen it?) Golmaal 3 is a slice of pure entertainment, served piping hot with a scoop of hilarity.

^^ This scene remains the most clever bit of work I've seen out of Bollywood in the last few years. Do you know how hard it is to do comedy like this? And the perfect use of sound effects? And the framing? Use of visual effects? Nobody gives out awards for this kind of work but I appreciate it.


----

Business of Cinema is really reach for stories if they are taking anything the American FTC does. Our system is so fucked up. Really, FTC? You are wasting your time with celebrities endorsing products on twitter? THAT is your major concern?

My favorite part of this was the survey at the end which asked readers if they agreed with the FTC rules that celebs tweeting about products should be applied to Bollywood stars:

HA!!! Looks like BoC readers aren't too concerned. And, really, if a celeb is a brand ambassador, does it really matter if they are endorsing something in an ad or on twitter?

(PS If you are American or have relatives who are living there, do pass this story along from the Boston Globe about corporate tax loopholes.)

----

Tamannaah talks Himmatwala.

Why is Bollywood so fascinated with South remakes?

We all love heroes in films and we all want the glorification to happen in every film. South films still continue to do that. They still make films depicting only heroism, but it’s not their fault… the audience likes to see such cinema. And I guess in Hindi films that trend has come back, where heroes are portrayed larger than life – and Hindi cinema lovers are also enjoying it.

You tell 'em, girl!

She also has some smart things to say about being a heroine in a hero-driven film. Like the old adage says - there are no small roles, only small actors.

----

Priyanka launched her item song guest appearance song "Babli Badmaash."

"I think the item girl tag is overdone. It is a guest appearance song I did for Ekta. By calling it that way it sounds a bit cheap. I am satisfied and happy the way the song has come out. I hope people like it," she said.

Okay, so… using the words "item girl" makes the song cheap and not the boob guns? Got it! You have to admire the shameless "pay attention to my words, not what I do" attitude of stars.

Some journo also got PC to air her sour grapes at the lack of National Awards for Barfi - a film which doesn't seem to be holding up so well in the public's memory. I think the plagiarism allegations (I SAID ALLEGATIONS) and Oscar flop have tarnished the gloss a bit.

----

Arshad Warsi and Riya Sen in one of those "adult" rom-coms.

----

Katrina is playing "herself" in Bombay Talkies.

----

Here's a trio of names that I wish would go away soon.

Salman Khan throws a sinking man a rope and gives Ashmit Patel some work in Mental.

Shekhar Suman is sparing no expense on re-launching (again) his son Adhyayan and is paying 1 crore for a single song sung by Sonu Niigaam in Heartless.

And Dino Morea discovers his true calling - gym rat. Hopefully from now on he'll be too busy spotting to take on acting jobs.

----

UTV Stars is launching a focused on the business side of show business.

----

Okay, the big thing right now is the Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani trailer about which all I'll say is this: Imran Khan had better thank God that Ranbir doesn't seem overly interested in cornering the market on quarter-life crisis romantic-comedies.

This is not a movie for me but it looks like it should be worth a watch if romantic-comedies are your thing. (I'm just not a fan of the genre. Holly, Bolly, whatever. I much prefer a nice spot of ultra-violence and some proletarian revenge on the upper classes, preferably with a hammer, Vikram in Kanthaswamy style.)

Now, we'll just have to suffer through the promotions, which appear to be going the REMEMBER WHEN THEY WERE DATING route.

----

And a DELIGHTFUL dance number from Mere Dad Ki Maruti! I can't wait until this movie pops up for rental on youtube.

No comments:

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl