Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thursday Post: L.O.V.E. birds?

Sad news first, Tamil film actress Sukumari has passed away.

Born in 1940 in then Travancore, Sukumari began her career at the age of 10 with a cameo in Tamil movie ‘Oru Iravu’ in 1951. In a career spanning more than five decades, she acted in over 2,500 films, including in Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Oriya and Bengali. A versatile actor, she shared the screen with big names, including Mamooty, Mohanlal, Rajinikanth and Kamal Haasan and also yesteryear stars MG Ramachandran, Sivaji Ganesan, Nageswara Rao and Prem Nazir.

My thoughts are with her family and friends on this sad day.


----

A primer on organized crime and Bollywood from the New York Times' India Ink.

Bollywood’s connection to the underworld can be traced back to a government regulation that made the film industry ineligible for bank credit, private equity and other legitimate commercial financing.

“As a result, films were financed by ad hoc collections of investors, many of whom were from the construction and trade industries, who charged interest rates as high as 60 to 100 percent,” said Jehil Thakkar, head of media and entertainment for KPMG.

Sanjay, for his part, is putting herogiri into practice and surrendering for his jail sentence like a man.

"I love my country, I love the citizens of my country and I love India."

----

Why on Earth is anybody asking Bollywood blowhards Rajeev Masand and Komal Nahta about their opinions of gay people in Bollywood?

More recently, Rishi Kapoor’s character in Student of the Yearlusting after Ronit Roy’s character, was used to provide laughs. Insensitive? Yes, says film critic and columnist Rajeev Masand.

Really, dude? Because I thought Rishi Kapoor's character in SOTY was a big step beyond comic relief. He was a person and there was an element of pathos to Rishi's portrayal. Maybe instead of lecturing audiences and telling them what they should think, it's more important to slowly normalize and humanize gay characters in films like SOTY.

If Vice-President Biden can cite Will & Grace as a milestone in his acceptance of gay people, it's not impossible that some kid and his mother watching Dostana can see Kirron Kher blessing John Abraham as her "daughter-in-law" and feel like maybe things will be okay for them, too.

----

Time for your TOIFA update! The Bollywood press is still ignoring all the controversy surrounding the awards in favor of listing the celebs who will be in attendance thanks to the generous funding of the B.C. taxpayers.

----

Yet MORE trouble for Toofan-Zanjeer

----

Sajid Khan continues to raise my expectations of a good time in Himmatwala.

"I don't know whether it will ring through with all the audience. But I am looking forward to a lot of applause and whistles from single screens," said Sajid, who seems to have understood the pulse of the audience. He says, "I have kept in mind that these days as a cinegoer, one doesn't see over-the-top entry of heroes like we used to see before. I remember as a kid, I used to get very disappointed when the hero's entry used to be average. For me, an entry must have an emotional connect to the story. That's what I have brought in my film."

And give better interviews than many a "serious" director.

The audience might take the movie to this club but critics haven’t particularly favored his past movies. Sajid vents out, “I think the critics have given up on me because somewhere I was the first person many many years ago, when everybody was kissing their a**es, I was kicking their a**ses. And before the release of my first film I went out to the world and told them not to read the reviews of Hey Babyy, whether they are 5 stars of 1 star. I don’t want positive or negative comments. That’s why you won’t see me on Facebook or Twitter. I do not believe in these social networking sites because most of the comments in them are doctored and manufactured."

----

Vishwaroopam completes 50 days! And I feel guilty now because I have been sitting on a MASSIVE interview with one of the actors in the film. I have about 40 minutes of audio left to transcribe but have been delaying on it… maybe this is the encouragement I need to finish.

----

Finally, Vidyut Jamwal continues to hold my attention by doing things like teaching self-defense techniques to girls. Now, somebody just needs to write the script for his next film in which he stars as the hunky gym teacher/self-defense instructor at a girls high school. A greedy politician will try to shut the school down and raze their neighborhood to put in a shopping mall BUT Vidyut and the girls take a stand and fight off the hired goondas the politico sends to harass them. THEN Vidyut will start a little romance with the underdog lady politician (who initially hates all men because her sister had acid thrown on her face by a creepy psycho stalker guy and then committed suicide because after that her fiancé wouldn't marry her) who takes over the greedy politician's seat.

THE END!

*bows*

----

This has nothing to do with anything but I stumbled across it while Googling things.

ENJOY!

3 comments:

Divya said...

Hey Filmi, You should totally write that script up. It sounds like so much fun. Chak de India but with so much more kickassery :)

Regarding portrayal of gay people in Indian Cinema, I could not quite sit through Dostana, the whole thing felt mocking and exploitative. This is just my opinion since I know you enjoyed the movie :).I dont know if you have seen the Tamil movie "Goa", it was a fun fluffy comedy but stood out for showing Tamil commercial cinema's first gay couple on screen. I thought it was a big step forward. Since I was out of the country at that time,I don't really know what the reaction to the movie was though. Hope it was positive.

Filmi Girl said...

@Divya :D Thanks! It would be a fun film, no?!

Yeah - I definitely understand where you're coming from re: Dostana because it's certainly not enlightened comedy. But I guess I'm looking at it kind of like Will & Grace. Sure, there were some terrible stereotypes trotted out but for any minority to be accepted I think it's important for them to visible in mass entertainment and not just serious films like My Brother Nikhil which only a few will see. That's why it's nice to have a character like Rishi Kapoor played in SOTY. There was comedy but empathy, too.

seriousaboutserials said...

Post-Dostana Indian television saw a sincerely created commercial love story depicting a gay couple through a soap called Maryaada. Moreover, the show actually had a happy ending for the couple.

Some eps featuring the couple from the aforementioned soap for those curious:
http://www.startv.in/episodes/karan-and-gaurav-break-their-relation-for-vidya/14035

http://www.startv.in/episodes/karan-doesnt-want-any-relationship-with-gaurav/15531

Now I'm just waiting for commercial Bollywood to catch-up to the small-screen - it can't be that hard to include a sweet side story in these modern youth rom-coms at least, surely!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl