Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday Post: The Very Helpful Edition.

A big happy birthday to SHASHI KAPOOR! He's 75 today!


----

The Hindustan Times gives a rundown of the next quarter's films.

The lineup this year, in the second quarter includes many more big-budget films of various genres, including Sanjay Gupta’s Shootout at Wadala, Zanjeer’s remake starring Priyanka Chopra and Ram Charan, Ayan Mukerji’s Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani starring ex-lovers Ranbir Kapoor andDeepika Padukone, Yamla Pagla Deewana 2, Emraan Hashmi and Vidya Balan’s Ghanchakkar and Kannan Iyer’s horror film Ek Thi Daayan, among many others.

Those aren't exactly setting my wallet on fire…

Here are some that I care about:

Commando with Vidyut Jamwal (April 12th)

Go Goa Gone directed by Raj & DK (May 10th)

Ranjhnaa with Dhanush and Sonam Kapoor (June 28th)

I'm not sure how many of the modern rom-coms et. al. I'll see. It depends on the cast and if there is a Tamil film playing that weekend. We'll be getting Settai for sure so I'm looking forward to that, too!

Arjun Kapoor's Trishul remake... I don't know about this one, either.

----

The National Film Awards! And… really? Firstpost has the winners.

The award for the best feature film was conferred to Paan Singh Tomar (Hindi) produced by UTV Software communications Ltd and directed by Tigmanshu Dhulia while Vicky Donor bagged the National Award for best film in wholesome entertainment of the year.

And with that I need look no further. Sometimes I wonder if people giving awards actually SEE the films or if they are just going on reputation. Paan Singh Tomar was so dull I couldn't get half-an-hour in. And Vicky Donor was okay but what exactly was wholesome about it? The ONLY thing worth singling out in Vicky Donor were the performances from the two lovely ladies playing Vicky's mum and grand mum.

----

In Hindi cinemas, the big winner this week was Jolly LLB; Hungama doesn't let Arshad Warsi bask in his success and decides to needle him on various items instead.

It would have been great to see the two of you come together again for Rajkumar Hirani's P.K.However that's not happening. Isn't it disappointing?

Yes, it is very fortunate but really, I didn't have dates. They started shooting last month but then I was committed to Desh Ishqiya around the same time. The film is being shot in Lucknow. Now if I would have given my 25-30 days to P.K. then Ishqiya would have moved to Summers. We couldn't have afforded that due to intense heat in Lucknow around that time period. Further delay would have pushed the film to later this year. That would have been unfair for Vishal (Bhardwaj) and Abhishek (Chaubey), makers of Desh Ishqiya.

I'll say it: CONGRATS ARSHAD! You earned it!

And I suspect Mere Dad Ki Maruti will earn a nice following through DVD and online rental. It seems like the kind of film that plays better on a television than a cinema screen.

----

TOIFA UPDATE!!! Apparently, the TOIFA has requested non-desi drivers and staff! Yes, that's right - NON-desi.

The businesses allege that they have been told by staff working for the organizers that they do not want drivers or guards of South Asian origin as they fear they would become “star-struck” and cause problems.

Did somebody not tell TOIFA the purpose of this boondoggle awards show?

Another businesswoman said she experienced similar remarks at a March 7 transportation meeting at the Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites in Vancouver. According to the woman, Times of India Film Award (TOIFA) staff said at the meeting that they did not want South Asians working as drivers for the Bollywood stars.

“I was really taken aback,” she said, adding she no longer wants anything to do with the company. “That was very racist.”

Oh. My. God. This drama keeps getting juicier and juicier!!!

I bet that Deol Family Concert Tour is looking pretty good right about now, eh, Premier Christy Clark?

(And IIFA in Peru?)

----

Troubles for the Bang Bang crew in Kashmir.

----

Bebo not yet finalized for Shuddhi… I hope she is cast. A return of the Bebo-Hrithik jodi is long overdue. The film to be shot in Rishikesh?

----

Jackky Bhagnani: Big Time Bollywood Hero and Magnanimous Person Of Superior Character.

A source close to Jackky informs, "Jackky is very helpful and has been like real friends to the guys. To make them outgoing, he almost turns to dadagiri. The actors, in turn are also very thankful to the actor for helping them for the push."

Heh. I have no desire to see Jackky's film but I have been enjoying the ridiculous on-set stories being "leaked" to the media. It gives you a real clue to the size of this kid's ego.

----

Imran Khan is building a rec room in his basement. Apparently this is news.

No word on instillation of bumper pool tables and the root beer bar.

----

LOL! I think I must have co-wrote this piece in spirit.

In fact a filmmaker, who couldn’t attend both the Spielberg events in Mumbai, says, “It was embarrassing to see the film fraternity line up like schoolboys for questions and photographs with Spielberg. Madhur Bhandarkar was seen nearly tripping over to get to stand next to ‘God’(read: Spielberg) at the interactive session with directors.

Ah~ a dig at the event AND at Bhandarkar. I'm satisfied.

----

Govinda's slapping case from 2008 makes a return.

----

Preity Zinta looking... "Real Housewifey" at WIFW. Can she even move her face anymore?

4 comments:

Moimeme said...

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I think you really need to write up the unfolding TOIFA scandal to date and send it to First Post. I'm pretty sure they'll publish it, and then the mainstream papers in India will be forced to pick up the story. If they don't, FP can claim a real, genuine scoop. :D

The TOIFA guys are obviously unaware that in any city with a large Punjabi population, almost the entire taxi cab business is controlled by "people of South Asian origin", who really coudn't care less about any of the stars. But then YRF thought dressing Shamita Shetty in bikini bras was justified because it represented "Canadian culture." :)

Moimeme said...

OMG -- now I've read that TOIFA article. How come you didn't pull the most inflammatory quote of all?

“In several meetings in December they said they don’t want any ‘brown people.’” one Vancouver company official told VancouverDesi.com.

I was going to say in my previous comment that they probably wanted the feeling of superiority they get by ordering around white people, but decided to be charitable.

You must write/send this to FP (I keep saying FP since they seem to be similar to the Huffington Post in terms of allowing freelancers to publish there). I even have the headline for you: Bollywood award show censured for being racist to Canadians.

Now all you have to do is write the article. :)

Moimeme said...

Oops, FP beat you to it.

http://www.firstpost.com/world/how-times-of-india-film-awards-influences-british-columbia-elections-665387.html

But note how they're reporting this as a positive story. You should weigh in with a commment.

Moimeme said...

OK, sorry to be spamming your comment section today, but I just submitted a comment myself. But maybe you still want to weigh in. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl