Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter!

Please enjoy some Jesus Christ Superstar! (Even if you don't celebrate. ESPECIALLY if you don't celebrate.)

You know, it's funny. When I tell non-desi types that I love Indian movies, the first reaction I get is something along the lines of "Oh, I love/hate musicals." But Indian movies aren't really "musicals" the way we make them over here in the West.

Fun fact: I loathe most contemporary Broadway musicals and, by extension, most of the "musical" crap that airs on American television, too. With the exception of the High School Musical series, which is delightful.

My biggest problem with contemporary musicals is the music. To be quite frank, it really sucks. Hard. Tuneless, aimless, and sucky - which is why it's a niche genre for those who fetishize big vocal performances instead of being for everybody. *whistles some Rogers & Hart to herself*

Seriously, y'all. I heard a snippet of the new Breakfast at Tiffany's musical and wanted to poke my ear drums out. It doesn't even begin to touch the genius of Henry Mancini's score and Audrey Hepburn's sweet little voice...

Anyways, for all of Webber's faults, the fact remains that Jesus Christ Superstar is a fantastic rock opera. So now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to put on my white-fringed shirt and head over to my parents house for Easter dinner.

Back to regularly scheduled programming tomorrow! But!! The next two weekends, I'll be out of town. Las Vegas and New York. If you are there, feel free to drop me a line!

No comments:

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl