Friday, March 1, 2013

Friday Post: When Rishi Kapoor and Ali Zafar have a charm off, everybody wins.

The Attacks of 26/11 comes out today and reactions have been heated.

Terror attacks, hatred and the state of Mumbai’s police are all tricky issues to deal with, but Varma doesn’t even pretend to take an in-depth look at these issues. He resorts to jingoistic and lazy film-making that is doing the victims of the Mumbai carnage a disservice. Skip this film and if you really want to know what happened in Mumbai that night, look for the Channel 4 documentary Terror in Mumbai. Now that’s how you tell a story.

And then there is I Me Aur Main

I Me Aur Main’s runtime of 108 minutes is probably the best thing about the film. But then, there’s also three gorgeous people wearing the best of clothes, Mini Mathur in a delightful and fairly impressive turn, and Zarina Wahab as the overindulgent, criminally naive but lovable mother.

----

Well, the less said about I Me Aur Main, the better but John Abraham talks about his next home production:

“Madras Cafe is a film that I choose to release completely in the North American market and not just for the Indian diaspora there. I feel it’s a film like ‘Amores Perros’ or any of the international films that release in North America and Europe on a wide scale. So I will plan a release with Paramount Pictures and make it big,” John said.

^^ This will be an interesting experiment.

----

Anurag Kashyap impresses the Guardian with his "fusion" cinema.

[B]ut for Indian cinema, [Gangs of Wasseypur] feels like a significant moment. The crossover between western and Indian film-making is like nuclear fusion or a long-unsolved maths problem: a conundrum that could unlock untold riches if anyone cracked it, which no-one ever does.

Sigh. Something just rubs me the wrong way when these white guys go around claiming Bollywood is "coming of age" and then give a bunch of reference points that make it clear that they think all Indian cinema is like 100 years worth of Partner.

Let alone taking all of Kashyap's talking points at face value just because he makes movies Western film nerds can understand. Kashyap can do what he wants and there is an audience for his work but I wish he'd stop with the Western press. I wish most filmi people would just STOP with the Western press.

----

Prabhudeva with Shahid and Sonakshi… let's get this movie started!

----

Munna Bhai Episode III: Return of the Circuit is not yet dead! Subhash Kapoor has been signed to direct it.

----

(source)

Because of his injury, Sonu Sood has to drop out of Zanjeer. Well, now I won't feel so bad for skipping it. I'll watch Sonu Sood read the phonebook but watching Priyanka Chopra do anything is torture.

----

If Rishi Kapoor is dancing, Filmi Girl is happy. I know some people are negative on this films but I'm really looking forward to Chashme Baddoor! Look how charming Ali and Rishi are! JUST LOOK!

----

I've been trying to pinpoint exactly what charms me about the remake of Chashme Baddoor but yet REALLY turns off in Nautanki Saala. Both have kind of goofy rom-comy promotions with a retro feel but Nautanki Saala just seems so TIRED.

I didn't link to it but there was a piece in one of the college papers where the girl writing essentially called Om Shanti Om a "classic." And I suppose that mentality is the sweet spot for this tired re-hash of "Dhak Dhak."

The real Rishi Kapoor is too campy, too uncool, too genuine, so you cover him in layers of irony and slice out any earnestness and here you go: a tired remix.

Rishi dancing in "Early Morning" feels about 100 times more young, fresh, and vital than anything I've seen so far from Nautanki Saala.

1 comment:

eliza bennet said...

"The real Rishi Kapoor is too campy, too uncool, too genuine,"

Well from the impression I got when he lashed out to the press that he is also a bully.





Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl