Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tuesday Post: Shouldn't you be a spacenaut?

Ranbir Kapoor got asked about The Oscars at a recent press conference for Blackberry.

"If I talk about Barfi! if it didn’t make it to the Oscars doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good film. There are films from all over the world but only five are taken. Maybe this time we were not good enough, we will keep trying. I’m sure one day all five foreign films nominated in the Oscars will be from our film industry.”

Ah~ no comment. But I have to admit that my first thought about hearing that Life of Pi had won the Oscar for Ang Lee was, "Oh, great. Irrfan Khan, actor in two Oscar winning films, is going to be twice as pompous as Irrfan Khan, actor in one Oscar winning film."

"I am just trying to find entertainment, which is not regular definition of entertainment. It has to keep evolving and it should also reflect the society that we live in. I am constantly challenging the definition of entertainment."

-----


Debutant Kapil Sharma, director of the loathsome looking I Me aur Main talks about his influences - and I get to read the word 'spacenaut.'

You belong to a legion that boasts of a powerful spacenaut like Rakesh Sharma. What made you take the Bollywood plunge? My decision to be here is more for the love of movies than for the glamour and glitz. But if you cast back to the era of the 1990s, you would see that glamour and glitz existed then also, yet the storytelling and script came first. I belong to that era completely so those movies really got me into all this.

No comment.

-----

Salman Khan begins shooting for Mental!

-----

A rumor started somewhere (the offices of Mid-Day?) that Shekhar Kapur is directing a remake of Dirty Dancing.

------

Parineeti Chopra, Urmila, and Manish Malhotra at his UK runway show! I ♥ Parineeti. What a cutie!

(Photo from his Facebook page)

------

And Vancouver-ites, ticket info for the Copycat Awards!

----

Director Puri Jagannadh plays with puppies:

----

Kangs shows up with her father a hobo from a 1940s film Sunny Deol to a press conference for I Love New York - unfortunately NOT based on the much loved American reality series.

It's worth watching for Sunny's description of the film: "It's about two strangers who just meet up somewhere and, uh, things go wrong and eventually the wrongness about the whole thing turns into something which is beautiful."

And then Kangs gets the mic and Sunny makes the face of a 50 year old man forced to listen to the chattering of a 20-something women all day.

Look, I can't make this stuff up! (And PS I still love you, Kangana, sweetie.)

----

And Aftab Shivdasani clinging to relevance with 1920 Evil Returns:

I think he's probably going for "broodingly handsome rich guy" but the effect is more "man forced by wife to visit B&B". Well, I suppose there's still Masti Unchained or whatever.

4 comments:

Moimeme said...

OK - that reference to Rakesh Sharma in the I, Me, aur Main bit got to me. Do you know who Rakesh Sharma is? He's India's first astronaut, who went into space in a Soviet Union rocket (yes, that's how long ago it was -- there was still a Soviet Union.) Anyway, if I understood the article right, Kapil Sharma himself was part of the astronaut pool? Wow, I'm really curious what an astronaut turned director will come up with, though I agree the film's summary sounds rather banal.

Filmi Girl said...

Have you seen the trailer? Kapil Sharma should have gone to outer space instead. XD The film doesn't just look banal, it's looks positively regressive.

(And I wasn't mocking Rakesh Sharma or anything. I just like the sound of the word "spacenaut." I'm a huge supporter and fan of the sciences - and was an astronomy major for a hot second at university.)

Sal said...

Uh, FG? That Aftab film came out a while ago.

Filmi Girl said...

Did it? Shows how much attention I pay to Aftab... lol!!!! Where there is still Masti Whatever. XD

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl