Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thursday Post: Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day!! You know what this means... articles about romance! And, no, I'm not talking about Shotgun Sinha marrying off Rani Mukerji.

Shahrukh and Kajol are still considered the most romantic "reel" couple in Bollywood. I have to admit that I've never gotten the appeal of DDLJ. No, that's not true. I understand the appeal of DDLJ but I don't personally find it appealing. What is romance? What is love? What is tricking the girl you're stalking into thinking you've had sex but then making a passionate speech about how Indian women value their chastity (implying that others don't?)

Times of India's Top Ten romantic scenes, which is really heavy on the SRK.

Business of Cinema's Top Five romances coming out this year.

And CNN-IBN's 30 most romantic Hindi film scenes, again REALLY heavy on the SRK.

----

("I'm like super edgy, yaar.")

I cannot take ANYBODY seriously who is teaching the films of Neil Nitin Mukesh as a film course on "edgy" Bollywood.

"Amongst younger actors he is the only one who has explored some exciting new age edgy cinema and also has sound knowledge of other aspects of film making thus making him a suitable choice to introduce the edgy cinema Bollywood chapter at the academy."

Says a "source." (Aka Neil Nitin Mukesh.)

I hope they include my favorite NNM film - Lafangey Parindey - in this course. (That is actually the one film I've enjoyed with him in it.) And don't forget Players and Jail.

Seriously, though, I have been unimpressed with Neil Nitin Mukesh since his debut in Johnny Gaddar, a film that was really all about Dharmendra being a fantastic actor for the few minutes he was on screen.

My real loathing for him, however, dates to the time I re-watched New York in like…2010? Maybe and realized that he ruined absolutely every scene he was in. I know he's getting praise for David and it is possible Bejoy Nambiar pulled a good performance out of him but I have a feeling that a "good" NNM performance is closer to a "good" Abhishek Bachchan performance than a performance that I would find good.

----

Okkadu is being remade with Arjun Kapoor in the lead… to be directed by Abbas-Mustan. Ugh. I have nothing further to say.

----

Minus the middling Randeep Hooda, the has the potential to be pretty darn good! Plus, you know I can't get enough of Jimmy Shergill just strutting around with a mouche.

-----

Finally, a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the ghost of Madhubala. The lovely lady with the lopsided smile would have bee 79 this year.

6 comments:

anishok said...

We've had this conversation on Twitter before, but again...DDLJ is NOT a stalker romance. Yes, he's a douchebag for tricking her into believing they've had sex, but he NEVER EVER stalks her. /DDLJ fangirl out.
Also, SRK/Kajol have KKHH, K3G, MNIK to their name. None of which are stalkery romances. :P /SRK fangirl out.

Filmi Girl said...

@anishok LOL!!!! Okay, okay... DDLJ is not a stalker romance but it is one of those "pushy" romances. I won't say eve teasing but he does go pretty douchey on Kajol for a while.

And thank you for not mentioning Devdas, which is neither a romance nor romantic (unless you count the Aish-Madhuri song as romantic.)

WizyonFilm said...

yazılarınızı wizyonfilm.blogspot.com olarak beğenerek takip ediyoruz. başarılarınızın devamını dileriz.

anishok said...

:D YAY! You know me, girl, I gotta defend him, when I can....
Why would I mention Devdas? No Kajol in that one :D Also, TOTALLY agree it's not romance, it's not romantic...just an exercise in douchiness by all the characters, except for Chandramukhi. Still one of my favorite movies, sadly.

(Laura) said...

Well, I for one will HAPPILY count the Aish-Madhuri song as romantic. ;)

I am a sucker for Kajol and SRK, but DDLJ doesn't do it for me. Give me KKHH, K3G or MNIK over DDLJ any day!

Stuart Martin said...

"Devdas, which is neither a romance nor romantic (unless you count the Aish-Madhuri song as romantic.)"

How could anyone NOT consider Dola Re romantic? As much I *HATED* Devdas, I was hoping those two would ditch the whiny drunk and run off together.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl