Monday, February 11, 2013

Monday Gossip: Fantasy Edition!

Sorry for the unexpected break - I may or may not have attended a family birthday party that went a little crazy on Saturday. Let's just say too much good food, drinks, and Soul Train lines were on hand. Related: How is this song still so good?

Anyways, I was getting a bit bored with the format of my blog, so I wanted to mix it up a bit… I was inspired by Get Filmy, and her concise gossip round-ups. But what really interests me is more of the sociological/industry side. So, in order to keep myself interested in what I'm writing, I'm setting my filters for material a bit tighter. We'll see how this shapes up. Stay tuned!


Here's a headline we can all get behind: BOLLYWOOD WINS!

Now, if only ABCD had been playing in 3D near me, it would be FILMI GIRL WINS!

I'm also glad to see that I wasn't the only one disappointed with Special 26 after all the hype - though I suspect I'm one of the few who wanted it more filmi. There were a few places where the film seemed poised to go into full fledged fantasy song sequences but didn't… which is too bad because the handling of the one song sequence in the film was superb. The subtle shift from wedding song to fantasy sequence and back was really well done. I wanted more!

Song-dance cockblock, thy name is Neeraj Pandey.

----

IMAX is looking at India and China! I don't know about you, but this has me PUMPED UP!

At its core is a partnership with Bollywood production company Yash Raj Films Studios to shoot Dhoom 3 in the Imax format, in an effort to build on the success of blockbusters Dhoom and Dhoom 2.

If Dhoom 3 played at the IMAX here, I would be in line for tickets like two weeks in advance. Hell, if I had the money, I would FLY TO INDIA to see Dhoom 3 in IMAX. (Are you listening, studios? It would be a great investment. Trust me.)

-----

When I read this news, I immediately flashed back to high school and the feeling of not wanting my favorite band to break big… Hindi films have not been overly kind to Mani Ratnam, why would Bala be different.

Add to that my serious disenchantment with Anurag Kashyap and I'm really hoping this deal falls through. I don't want his smug, self-important face associated with and taking credit for Bala's work.

-----

Priyanka Chopra press team has released a fluff piece about how she just can't sing for films because her music label won't allow it.

"Of course, I would like to sing for my films, but until my entire album comes out, I am going to refrain from doing so as my contract doesn't allow me to. I want to focus only on my album right now," says the actor, who, within the next few months, will also start working on the video of her second single from the album.

A) Does anybody other than hardcore Priyanka fans really care about her alleged music career (the song has made approximately zero impact on anything).

B) Can we stop rewarding actors for singing? It is really frustrating as a Bollywood industry watcher to see middling actors getting praised for carrying a tune while actual, really good singers are shoved to the back as "just" playback singers.

To me, it's endemic of a broader trend in certain global minded, Hindie segments of the industry, which are embarrassed about traditional Hindi filmmaking styles but don't quite want to give them up because people like them. So, they go through all these contortions - having actors sing their own songs (!) or using camp to insert song sequences.

Finally, C) I wish Priyanka didn't make it so hard for me to like her because in theory it would be nice to praise an actress for trying to extend her shelf life with different projects, like how Bipasha had her workout DVD. But "In my City" was just really, really bland. What is the point of releasing a pop album that has no entertainment value and no artistic statement behind it? Lord knows (nose) I'd rather see Piggy's plastic face and booty shorts in a pop video than in a period film.

It's just a real shame that somebody with Piggy's influence would squander the opportunity to make something special and WOW in favor of something safe and mediocre.

-----

It didn't take too long for the Blame Bollywood's Bikini Babes Brigade to be neutralized in the press. The latest masturbation fodder to be making the rounds of Bollywood Life and other rags is also a two-fer - Exotic AND a bikini babe!

Judi Shekoni joins the list of no-name Hollywood types who earn their 30 seconds of fame wearing a bikini in a low budget Hindi film. Now, let's all just forget she exists.

I don't agree with the Blame Bollywood Brigade but I am empathetic to their underlying frustration with the overt sexualization of women in films. I love item numbers as much (or more) than the next person but it would be nice to see more items like "Munni" that are about the tease, seduction, and (most importantly) DANCE instead of just a slim, fair girl in a bikini making dumb "sexy" faces at the camera.

----

Speaking of which… yes, Priyamani is doing an item for Chennai Express. This is a film I'm really nervous about. The promotions for it so far have all involved the worst sort of Southie stereotypes and lord knows SRK doesn't have the best record with being sensitive about that.

But a Priyamani item should be something to get excited about!

----

Lastly, yes, I've seen the Himmatwala remake song and... I'm not sure what to think yet. I feel like we can't really discuss it without seeing the film first. Is it supposed to be pastiche? Parody? Knowing Sajid Khan, I'm leaning more towards the former but... it's hard to know just yet.

1 comment:

odadune said...

I did like the fact that the Mujh Main Tu sequence had Priya with her fantasy Ajay to balance out fantasy Priya in Gore Muhkde Pe. My main impression of S26 overall was that this was a very buttoned-down, intellectual director trying to pay unironic, uncutesy tribute to some very lowbrow/unintellectual movie tropes, so I was charmed and cut the movie alot of slack. I am however not sure that all that lovingly-shot footage of Akki stalking about in his spiffy clothes quite makes up for not giving him enough to do as an actor.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl