Friday, February 22, 2013

Friday Post: All we are saying....

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Hyderabad. The bombings yesterday were a horrific event. It's easy for us with comfortable lives to forget that others have to be aware of the threat of violence at any time. Not just in India but there is a lot of violence even in America, too.

I hope someday we will see peace.

My silly news seems even more silly now but…

-----

You guys know I love these - review of Kai Po Che from a Westerner who doesn't get it.

Increasingly Bollywood (which sells more tickets and makes more movies than Hollywood but produces much smaller revenues) is actually shopping for Western attention with cross-over films designed to entertain audiences not fully steeped in the Indian conventions of overproduced, melodramatic musical romance.

Except that Kai Po Che is NOT aiming at Western audiences but at Indian multiplex and NRI audiences.

This is what kills me about 99% of Western reviewers writing about Indian film - they act like the film should bend to their expectations of what film is instead of opening their minds to experience a different style of acting and filmmaking.

It's a poorly written review with no insight into the film but I thought that opening part was an interesting look inside the Western critical mindset.

----

Vivek Oberoi x Box Office Poison? Jayanta Bhai flopped and Zila Ghaziabad also seems headed that way.

After some harsh comments from distributors, we get this gem:

Meanwhile, an industry insider, who follows stars and their BO status, told us (on the condition of anonymity) that the real reason for the film's failure can be credited to the following reasons: shortage of screen space, extremely poor show timings, pathetic openings all over... to say the least. He signs off saying one just hopes that Vivek's forthcoming films (Zila Ghaziabad, Krrish 3 and Grand Masti) manage to hit gold on the silver screens; else 'Brand Vivek' will get transformed into 'Bland Vivek'!

Um… so the wisdom of the "insider" says that the film failed because people didn't go it? In other news, water is wet.

-----

Are we all keeping an eye on the next Jackky Bhagnani? Kumar Taurani's son Girish is getting Jackie Fernandez to do an item in his debut film.

And speaking of our Jackie, the Bollywood rags have been getting some milage out of the fact that Farah Khan has seemingly been playing godmother. Although, why Jackie would need fashion tips from Farah Khan…

I read a funny one yesterday that I can't find again but it essentially said something along the lines of, "If it was a guy, we would assume there was sexy-times happening." Basically insinuating that there were sexy-times happening.

---

Vijay x Asin? Okay, I'm on board.

----

I know some people think I'm too negative about a lot of things and I accept the critique. In some ways, it's a reaction against the aggressively positive promotion of mediocre product from the Bollywood media - which in large part is just another marketing wing of the Bollywood studios.

But I do love Bollywood films. I don't watch them constantly like I did a few years ago but I still loyally go to the theater every weekend. (Except this weekend because my car is broken. DAMN IT! I want to see Kai Po Che!!!)

And I will always stick up for the melodrama, songs, action, adventure, romance, political commentary, and violence of the most massy, most filmy films. These films - if you give yourself over to them - can take you out of yourself and petty troubles for time. It's a cheap hit of ecstasy, of prozac. An inoculation against the blahs. A chance to live larger-than-life for just a few hours.

So, reading that the self-congratulatory Golden Fucking Kela awards are bashing the delightful Khiladi 786 as "the worst" while giving away "saving grace of Bollywood" awards to mediocre films like Vicky Donor really rubs me the wrong way. There's nothing wrong with films like Vicky Donor but it's in not quantitatively "better" than a film like Khiladi 786, just aimed at the middle brow audiences.

The smug, classest tone of the Golden Kela just annoys me.

----

And on that note, enjoy the latest, extremely delightful music video from SHINee:

Bollywood, I can haz more dancing nao plz?

----

And the trailer for Johnny Tri Nguyen's latest film:

2 comments:

Mo Pitz said...

"And so a new director such as Abhishek Kapoor..."

"New"? ::sigh::

Filmi Girl said...

I know, right? And she's qualified to review this film how?

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl