Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday Gossip: I Guess Nobody Saw It edition

Sorry about yesterday, guys!! The power went out early yesterday morning and it was all I could do to get dressed in the dark and head out to work... Ah. Winter.

Good news (I think) for me is that we're getting both Kadal and David. People are being 'meh' on them both, which could mean anything or nothing. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to try and see both but I'm thinking David (THANK GOD IT'S JUST THE TAMIL VERSION PLAYING) first. You know I love me some Vikram.

Now!


More on Vishwaroopam. I like the statement from the head of the Censor Board:

We are sensitive to issues. The groups objecting toVishwaroopam have the freedom not to view it. We will object to the language used by the lawyer representing the Tamil Nadu govt against the censor board.

And Salman Khan:

...its a movie dude, entertainment...

Apparently, fans from Chennai are driving way out to Sathyavedu on the AP border to catch the film.

Salman Khan will begin his trial for the 2002 hit and run incident.

A nice little editorial in the New York Times from Huma Yusuf.

Malik’s concerns for Khan’s safety were expressed days after cease-fire violations along the Line of Control in Kashmir almost jeopardized the recent d├ętente. By engaging Khan’s statements, Malik sought to grab moral high ground and take a parting shot at India just as bilateral tensions were easing: Cross-border trade and travel resumed this week.

At a time when many Pakistanis are hankering for improved ties and people-to-people contact with India, “savvy” P.R. seems like part of the problem.

If this is true that the makers of Rajdhani Express used Qutubuddin Ansari's image without permission, then he should be paid. It's only fair.

Neil Nitin Mukesh is going to be insufferable after these reviews. He's getting praised but the film is getting trashed. ARE WE OPPOSITE LAND?

Arshad Warsi talks about things.

Meet Lauren Gottlieb, who will be starring in ABCD.

Taking on a starring role in a foreign film was a totally new experience for Lauren, who has also appeared on FOX's flash-mob series Mobbed (including in the episode which featured Punchline's Steve Soboslai). "I've been making this transition from dance into acting; it was my first feature film [and] I was so excited," she said. "I was jumping into a completely different culture. I had to learn a different language, I had to dance a different style, it was all so foreign. The fun didn't start coming until I could understand what I was saying and know what I was doing!"

And making it two-for-two that I need to try and get a hold of for my series of Outsider in Bollywood - Eastender's Judi Shekoni.

Why do I feel so embarrassed every time Anupam Kher opens his mouth.

We need to compete with ourself and also the bigger question is how many original movies are we making? We are suffering from Tarantino disease," Kher said referring to the directors inspired by the American filmmaker.

I hate the Hollywood hard-on for originality. Isn't making something GOOD more important than making something "original." That can be just as much of a straightjacket as anything else.

For some reason, today, an actor so obsessed with his health advocating for a soda brand makes me kind of mad. Soda is really, really awful for you.

And Hrithik Roshan pops up to explain that he is not using body doubles for Krrish and that the newspaper had mistaken the stand-in, who will stand around while they figure out lighting and things, for a body double.

Ameesha Patel has found her true art form: clueless interviews.

"Comebacks are for the actresses who get married and have kids and then plan to come back. I never left this industry. I have always been here. My last film was Chatur Singh 2 Stars (2011). The film didn't do well; so maybe people didn't know about it," Ameesha told IANS.

AKA Everybody knew about it and made jokes about Chatur Singh No Stars but nobody actually saw it.

Priyanka Chopra just hates Ranveer Singh. Oh, boo hoo hoo. You're lucky he agreed to work with you, lady. He's a younger hero, you know…

He just seems too exuberant all the time," added the source.

Jackky Bhagnani thinks people care. How sweet.

The only words I need to hear are: backed by the controversial Gandu director Q.

Akshay, Karan, and Punit Malhotra. Why does this sound like a disaster? I would trust Punit Malhotra to direct his way out of a paper bag. I couldn't make it through 10 minutes of I Hate Bad Spelling before turning it off in disgust.

Student of the Year sequel. Aankhen sequel.

Finally, the only period film Saif Ali Khan should be starring in is one which takes place after plastic surgery was invented. I can't watch these period films with fake-looking people in them. Give me real faces, please.

Pretty song from Kai Po Che. Is it me or is Amit Trivedi channeling SEL here?

And another pretty song from Special 26.

I guess I'm in a sappy mood today. Maybe it's the snow and grey skies?

5 comments:

Moimeme said...

Hi FG! Glad you got your power back. The weather's not too bad, I hope.

Re Salman's accident case -- the trial has been ongoing for many years already. What they've now done is to re-add a more severe charge that was earlier dismissed for lack of evidence. The trial just continues from where it left off (albeit in a different court that considers the more serious charge). Don't expect it to end any time soon.

Stuart Martin said...

What "Hollywood hard-on for orignality"? Hollywood's been churning out sequels obsessively for ages now, most managing to avoid both any "straitjacket" of attempted originality and any semblance of being good.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/simple-infographic-shows-hollywood-is-giving-up-on-original-ideas/

redblackladybug said...

sorry, what's SEL?

odadune said...

On the Akki-KJo thing, I'm convinced they're just doing this to troll us. Or to troll Shahrukh, or maybe Priyanka.

Jess said...

I was on the fence about ABCD at first since I'm not a fan of dance movies a la Step Up. But I cant say no to the combo of Prabhudeva Kay Kay Menon and my favorite contestant from the only season of SYTYCD I've watched!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl