Saturday, January 5, 2013

Saturday Gossip: The TEAM URGIS FOREVER edition.

It's the weekend! What is everybody up to? I ended up watching Kurosawa's Drunken Angel last night on Hulu because I had heard that Kasagi Shizuko singing "Jungle Boogie" was fantastic (which it was) but the rest of the movie would have been better in the hands of Raj Kapoor (and with at least five more songs).

Or maybe I just don't have the patience for movies without songs any more...

Anyways, let's hit news!


* Dhanush's Bollywood debut set for June!

* Older actresses and younger actors in 2013!

The pair I'm looking forward to?

Madhuri Dixit (45) and Arshad Warsi (44)

Film: Dedh Ishqiya

Madhuri will replace Vidya Balan (who starred in the first part) in Abhishek Chaubey’s sequel to his 2010 hit, Ishqiya. Until a few days ago, Kangna Ranaut was also supposed to star in the Vishal Bhardwaj production, but she backed out citing date issues.

* Do Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola and Gangs of Wasseypur signal a renewed interest in the countryside or are they exploiting rural stereotypes for those of us overseas and in the big metros?

What inspired Bhardwaj to narrate rural stories?

"I love Indian folk music and villages. People from there are more interesting than the urban people. So, I really like to have those characters in my films. I grew up in a small town of Meerut (in Uttar Pradesh) and so mostly my movies reflect experiences of my childhood. While making movies I go back to my past and draw experiences from that," he was quoted as saying recently.

Here's another story about how Imran Khan's character is doing everybody a favor by returning to his village and dressing just like them, even though he has a fancy degree.

"See, living in a village like Mandola, one would stereotype them as typical village folks, but I have shown both my characters as well-educated individuals. Matru has studied law from a reputed university and though he has the option to take up a job in a big city, he chooses to return to his village. He dresses like the other villagers, speaks in Haryanvi and becomes one of them. He dares to take a stand against the oppressors rather than accepting it as a way of life."

So... apparently, this is most certainly NOT going to be the film for me. If there are two things I hate it's a) whimsy and b) magical rural characters who are just so much more "authentic" than us city folk. Also c) Imran Khan's "acting."

* No Entry Mein Entry is happening.

* Irrfan Khan takes his head out of his ass long enough to rant about Indian film awards.

“There are awards in other countries which are very important, and which change your position. Forget about any of that happening in our country!” he said.

* He's joined by Chetan Bhagat who talks about jokes.

In the current environment, a lot of people find the 'balaatkar' joke in 3 Idiots to be in extremely bad taste.

I would like to clarify that this scene was not in the book. I had not written it. Having said that, I will still defend that joke. Life is brutal and humour should be seen in the right context. A caricature on a terrorist in peaceful times may be funny but when a 26/11 happens, it is not funny any more. What happened in Delhi was bad, but we should not jump to generalisation. Good taste and bad are always in retrospect. Balaatkar and rape are used in different contexts. We often say, 'Oh I got raped in office today', meaning I had a bad day at work. But that does not seem so funny any more.

Who "often" says that? Certainly no woman nor anybody who respects them...

* Finally, a piece of bad news for anybody who (like me) enjoys a Bollywood shit show - the Nargis-Uday wedding isn't happening. (YET! I'm fully campaigning for Narday? Urgis?)

Song trailer for "Maria Pitache" from the Tamil version (aka the version worth watching because it won't have Neil "Pee Face" Nitin Mukesh in it) of David!

VIKRAM!!! Look at him go!

Song trailer for "Elay Keechan" from Mani Ratnam's Kadal - another film guaranteed to be better than the inevitable Hindi remake. Possibly because this doesn't star Abhishek Bachchan. (OH BOOM! Can you tell I'm over the sinus infection I've been fighting off the last couple of weeks? LOL!)

Prabudeva dancing about the joys of cricket!

3 comments:

Moimeme said...

Re Chetan Bhagat & the rape remark: First, as he says, that scene (along with practically all the other tasteless ones in the movie) was not in the book. It was one of many distasteful "jokes" in the movie that made me dislike it so much. But, there was exactly one other person on the net who also found it bad, and said so, and many arbiters of "quality" cinema argued violently with him and defended the joke. The same people are now expressing horror and outrage over not just the Delhi case, but the social attitudes that led to it (though no social attitudes can be blamed for individual monstrosities, IMO. Such extreme behavior cannot be linked to social attitudes, but individual mental warps.) However, in a discussion about how rape is used casually on Bollywood forums (as in "this film will rape that film") I saw people dismissing the usage, saying that it's a commonly accepted idiom, and citing the very example given by Bhagat, of people in offices saying "I got raped at work today". Perhaps they are all men, but I wouldn't be surprised if even female office workers in India would say this. I find that people use a lot of English words without really thinking about their meanings. I obviously don't agree with him that this makes the usage OK. However, I do agree with his larger point that jokes that were once acceptable (and may become so again) are viewed in a very different light once something like this happens.

Moimeme said...

Perhaps "I was really raped at work" is used in the same sense as "I was really f***ed at work" that is used in the U.S., and which really means the same thing. At least the remark does acknowledge that being raped is not a good thing to happen.

Stuart Martin said...

Is Bhardwaj saying that Meerut, with a metro population of around 3.5 million, is a small town?

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl