Monday, January 14, 2013

Monday Gossip: The juggling five films edition!

So, I saw Alex Pandian yesterday. I wasn't sure if I wanted to write it up or not, since it's a very unsubstantial film, but I think I might try. If you're thinking about going, my short review is this: it's a pleasant enough time pass and Karthi is very charming.

Okay, let's see what the news outlets have spewed up today!

Here's a news story for the librarians and archivists out there: HUGE Bollywood photo archive purchased by the Delhi Art Gallery.

And a tip of my hat to my mother, who is also a librarian, for passing on this story… Kabir Bedi's Ashanti is being given a DVD release.

In some ways a continuation of Fleischer’s “Mandingo” (a major source of Quentin Tarantino’s current “Django Unchained”), in 1975, “Ashanti” projects the reality of human trafficking beyond the antebellum South and into a modern, technological world. But when technology fails (the traffickers have no trouble bringing down a helicopter sent in their pursuit), Caine’s doctor must leave modernity behind and place himself in the care of a desert nomad (the Bollywood star Kabir Bedi) who has also lost a wife to Sulieman.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this, it sounds really interesting!

There's a broken "bold" tag on this article on the top ten most successful tv stars working in films.

Not all TV actors get as lucky as Sushant Singh Rajput who has hit jackpot with Abhishek Kapoor’s Kai Po Che. Sushant, who became famous overnight with Zee TV’s Pavitra Rishta, had done TV prior to the show. But perhaps as luck would have it, he became popular as Manav from Pavitra Rishta. Now with his Bollywood entry, Sushant Singh is also doing Rajkumar Hirani’s Peekay with Aamir Khan and Anushka Sharma.

I'm really curious about this guy. His name has been popping up everywhere recently, so either he's just that amazing or he's a hyped commodity cast because he's somebody important's boyfriend. Only time will tell…

Swara Bhaskar (Tanu Weds Manu) has signed another film!! Congratulations, girl!

a) The world didn't need No Entry but, okay, it was 2005 and there were a lot of crap films being made but b) the world really doesn't need a Bengali remake of No Entry in 2013. What happened to "We're Treating Women With Respect Now."

Ali Zafar: action hero? Um... Akshay and Kat together again? (WE CAN ALL HOPE!) But it seems like just rumor for now.

Really, Times of India, that is going to be your headline for this interview with Sona? Sigh. Why do they pick the worst pull quotes?

I prefer this pull quote:

If you look at my future choices — Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai 2, Lootera, the Thuppakkiremake or Bullet Raja — you'll see one thing in common. When I sign a film, I ask myself one question. That is, whether I would like to see these films as an audience. If the answer is yes, I go ahead with my choice.

No wonder she pairs well with Akshay because I suspect that is one of his criteria, too. It's also nice to see an actress who clearly loves films. I bet it would be fun to go watch a masala film with Sona… and her papa.

An interview with Special Chabbis director Neeraj Pandey:

What are your thoughts on regional cinema?

You can take risk in vernacular medium — something mainstream films don’t allow you. That’s the beauty of regional cinema. You can never imagine telling such hard-hitting stories in the Hindi language.

Neil Nitin Mukesh REALLY wants us to know that he has work.

"I am juggling five films... I am sleeping between all this," he said, adding that he wants to ensure all his impending films release this year.

And because I must… but, seriously, ew. Paan Singh Tomar and Barfi tied for Best Picture at the Colors Screen Awards. I got so bored during PST that I turned it off about half an hour in and haven't regretted it since. We all know my thoughts about BARFi.

Do yourself a favor and skip the breathless coverage. Just read Get Filmy's write-up and be done with it.

And just to cleanse my palate from having to think about, ugh, Barfi. Please have this trailer for Veera starring Karnataka's badass auntie action hero: Malashree!

4 comments:

NaF said...

Sona actually picked up that quote from Salman, that's what Salman always says. Perhaps it's Akshay funda too, maybe that's why I always enjoy watching these performers onscreen. They always seem like they're having a blast.

I really don't understand what was so offensive about No Entry? It was one of the best written comedies of the last decade and definitely Anees Bazmee's best script.

odadune said...

I've seen Ramana; think it would be a good role for Akki, but it doesn't really offer much scope for romance. Spoilers below...




There's a female Stalker w/ an Urequited Crush who has maybe half an hour or forty minutes of screentime and never manages to get the hero interested in her. There's also the hero's Dead Flashback Wife with two songs and about 15 minutes of screentime.

Stuart Martin said...

I've heard good things about Amaya, I was already excited to see it for having Deepti and Farooq back together again. Now I have another reason to try to see it. Thanks!

seriousaboutserials said...

I'm looking forward to Sushant Singh Rajput's Bollywood debut but also feeling rather protective since I'm predisposed to most actors from the serial world! Luckily he's chosen a good first film though - that earthy, common man avatar is definitely his forte.
Sushant started out as the metaphorical Lakshman to Harshad Chopra's Ram in Ekta Kapoor's super hit series Kis Desh Mein Hai Mera Dil and later snagged the lead role in Ekta's next superhit serial Pavitra Rishta. For a while quite a few serials, including a majority of Ekta's previous shows, are situated in palatial settings and Pavitra Rishta came in around this time with a more down-to-earth aam aadmi vibe and a Marathi family backdrop. In Pavitra Rishta Sushant played Manav, a humble car mechanic, who falls in love with Archana, played by Ankita Lokhande.
Ankita and Sushant started dating during this show and are still dating. He left the show, I think maybe to do this movie, and so another actor stepped in to play his character Manav (equally successfully) while Ankita continued to play Archana. The show's been on air since 2009 - so if you hear a lot about Sushant it is because of how well liked his character and his jodi with Ankita was by a substantial number of the TV watching populace in India.
Whether he'll be able to win the hearts of cine-goers remains to be seen but I think he stands a fighting chance. If not though, I'm certain the tellyland will welcome him back warmly.


- @nakhrewali from Twitter

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl