Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday Gossip! The "Chalk-a-Block" edition!

Hello, lovelies! Ready for another week? READY FOR 2013?!

I'm really hoping I get to start my movie-year off with a bang this weekend... and by that I mean I hope Alex Pandian will be screening at my local cinema.

But I won't know until Thursday... and onto news!


This is what gets me pumped up for a film:

The scene required Arshad to climb the top of the human pyramid while singing and dancing in a thick cloud of gulal and amber. The actor admitted that it wasn't very easy even though the number had a festive mood.

"This was one of the most complicated scenes ever shot by me. I was required to jump off a human pyramid made of 400 people. And it was not a straight jump but a diagonal one so a lot of technical dynamics were used for the same," says the 44-year-old.

Here is another way to get me pumped up for a film:

...stars actors Ranveer Singh, Ali Zafar and Parineeti Chopra.

It's time for Dabboo Ratnani's annual calendar! The theme this year - Sears Portrait Studio Photographer!

Much better to get Lata Mangeshkar's calendar with its classic beauties.

Salman Khan talks movies.

"Till the time action is not backed by emotion, it doesn't work. In my films, there is action, but there is a lot of romance and emotion as well. In 'Dabangg 2', relationship between husband-wife and father-son are shown. But as all the action scenes are put in the promo, it looks like an action film...but actually it is not," he said.

Bitter neighbors India and China try a little cultural exchange

This month two Indian musicals will begin touring China: Taj Express and The Merchants of Bollywood. Both shows feature Bollywood-related themes. "Bollywood is really helping us go out into the world … our costumes, energy and expression need a stage," said Shruti Merchant, producer of Taj Express.

"China and India have many similarities, with both having a long history and rich cultural heritage, but now in India only the Bollywood culture is well known to the world," said Shruti. "I want to show Chinese audiences a diverse Indian culture through singing and dancing," she told the Global Times.

Here's more on the plays.

Although I don't have an opinion on Leander Paes one way or the other, it's annoying to read about how his acting debut was slammed by critics when the press are the ones who push all these famous non-actors into acting to begin with!! How often do you see an interview with an athlete asking them about Bollywood - and then when they give in, they get blasted for not being actors.

Well… no duh!

Whoa, whoa, whoa… the script is not ready for the Kishore Kumar biopic because Anurag "needs an editor" Basu is putting the "finishing touches" on it.

Unless this is a different film from the one I've been hearing about, I'm pretty sure the script was finished which means that AB probably went in and threw a bunch of pages out of order to make it more "edgy" and "non-linear."

Is all forgiven between Aishwarya and UTV after the Heroine debacle?

Dancer Maryam seems to have a good head on her shoulders.

"There are a lot of differences between the fashion and film industries here. In Sweden, everyone is given the same amount of respect, irrespective of whether they are a leading actor or a set assistant. Also, a lot of hard work and patience are required to make it in this industry. It’s not all song and dance which you see on screen."

Does anybody really care what Imran Khan - the actor not any of the other ones - has to say?

Is directing also on your agenda?

Certainly, at some point in the future. That was what I had always wanted to do. Right now, I am discovering myself as an actor. I think, for a long time, I didn't see myself as one. But with Vishal Bhardwaj's film Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola, I have properly seen myself as an actor for the first time. And that's my focus now.

Says Imran after how many years in the industry? I bet statements like that are salt in the wounds of every struggler who suffers audition after audition only to see the role of Imran Khan's Best Friend in Some Rom-Com go to the producer's nephew instead.

Sudhir Mishra wants to work with Saif and Aamir. Saif is no problem but Aamir isn't going to work with anybody who makes a film like Inkaar. He's just not.

Remo D'Souza is copyrighting the dances in ABCD.

Ameesha Patel sends her Facebook pictures over to the offices of Mid-Day along with a few statements by a "close friend."

Ameesha is currently back to Mumbai and has already reported to her chalk-a-block schedule. She will be busy with her work which will include outside films, endorsements along with her own home production film.

Alia Bhatt is playing a Tamil girl in 2 States.

Varun is doing a film with his father - the article hints that there is some bad feeling between him and Dharma. I wonder if Varun wasn't getting offered big enough roles? I have a feeling Sid would take anything and Alia wants to work her way up but Varun seems like he wants to be a big hero immediately. Not that there is anything wrong with that! I'm all for a big ego-ed hero if he has something to back that ego up with and Varun is quite the charmer.

And how about a couple of ad films!

Ali Zafar…

Parineeti Chopra!

And a trailer for Bala's upcoming Paradesi!

If Bala is doing it, I want to see it. Basically. According to Wikipedia, anyways, the film is going to be about workers on a tea plantation pre-Independence.

4 comments:

Pri said...

Oh FG, "Sears Portrait Studio Photographer", LOL!

I am also looking forward to Shaad Ali's next with Ranveer, Ali Zafar, and Parineeti. I liked Saathiya and B&B, JBJ not so much.

Raye S. said...

"Sears Portrait Studio Photographer", lol! Agreed.

I was looking forward to it, and given some of the amazing shots he has done it had inspired me in my work (not that I am in anyway a pro photographer, but still).
But I guess we win some and we loose some....given the toys he has and pick of people he has to shoot one would think a more creative product would occur...just not on his game this year.

odadune said...

Sad thing is, there's a whole series of "outtakes" of Dabboo posing with the calendar celebs that are much more professional-looking and visually interesting than the Sears Roebuck closeups.

One example here: http://www.pinkvilla.com/files/imagecache/ContentPreview/dabb%20(5).jpg

All I can figure is that "Dabboo and Friends" was the original theme that got nixed by someone in charge, and the Sears Roebuck closeups were the slapdash replacement?

Sal said...

Um, those are just screenshots from the "making-of" video, I'm pretty sure. I mean, I'm not saying his pictures are masterpieces, but those aren't what will be going into the calendar.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl