Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday Gossip: The Young and Talented Edition!

Well, the verdict is in and - surprisingly - the critics (and audiences) seem to mostly agree with me on Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola in that Imran Khan totally sucks and the film is overly whimsical. Also, as this review points out, the film seems to be based on Brecht's play Mr. Puntila And His Man Matti, though nobody is mentioning it. The linked review also says this:

Khan delivers a flat, insipid performance.

Best man for the job, eh, VB?


After reading the reviews for Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola, the first question Anupama Chopra asks Imran Khan is particularly funny.

Anupama Chopra: What is the most exciting thing about being young, talented and working in Bollywood?

Imran Khan: I think it is a very exciting time right now. From writer, directors to producers there are so many new people coming in who want to push the envelope and are excited to try new things.

Oh, so it was a hypothetical question! (ZING!)

A roundup of the Bollywood Razzies, which, as always, annoy me with their lack of distinction between good quality mass cinema and bad quality mass cinema.

Case in point:

Both Sajid Khan's "Housefull 2" and Ashwni Dhir's "Son of Sardaar" are slapstick comedies, relying on over-the-top acting and toilet humour to woo audiences.

Probably the best thing I've read today is this interview with Prem Chopra, who is a delight.

Well, my parents lived in Chandigarh where i went to visit them after i became a star. I had gone for a walk with my father. There were some other people who were moving gradually in our direction but the moment they saw me, they started shouting, "Hide your wives, Prem Chopra is coming!"

And then the BEST NEWS I've gotten all day: Arshad Warsi + Madhavan in a film directed by Ken Ghosh. Now maybe Chance Pe Dance wasn't the greatest film ever but I thought it was quite well done for what it was, so I'm looking forward to this!

And there is no way I'm sitting through an hour of Priyanka Chopra talking to the Wall Street Journal about her cross over success but it's over here if anybody is interested. I was amused by the use of clips from Drona in the opening montage introducing her, however.

KJo completes his big announcement with the title of his co-production with Anurag Kashyap - Hasee Toh Phasee

Kartik Tiwari (Pyaar Ka Punchnama) talks about the differences between star kids and strivers:

Everyone in the industry works hard including star kids. But for an outsider, there is no godfather who will take you in spite of the flops!

Big B mends relations with Nana Patekar in your heartwarming story of the day.

Murder 3 is based on Spanish film La Cara Oculta

For anybody interested in hate-reading Bebo's new style book, Pinkvilla has an excerpt over here.

But I trusted Yash Raj and when Adi Chopra said I needed to wear a bikini, I didn't argue. I was always a confident girl, never too worried about how I looked, but this was new for me too. I couldn't wait to see the reactions, dying to know if all my hard work had paid off.

(Needs more pictures. I wish Bollywood celebs released those glossy photo books like celebs in East Asia do…)

Snoop Dogg touches down in Mumbai for his first India tour and the Hollywood Reporter celebrates by posting an extremely filmi write-up, including transcribing inane tweets.

And, finally, presented without comment.

Song promo from Special Chabbis...

Prabhas doesn't seem as up-for-it as he usually does... still, this looks fun!

2 comments:

OG said...

hey FG,

did you watch the trailer of Kadal? It looks promising.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddbF1PtUlo

-OG

Stuart Martin said...

I liked the whimsy of MKBKM and thought that was where it was strongest. It was the non-whimsical bits that I thought didn't work. Perhaps no one else commented on the similarities to the Brecht piece because they had not seen it. The review to which you link does say the skeletons of both stories are identical, and provides no details of what that means. It could mean Barfi! Style plagiarism, or a more creative reinterpretation or anything in between.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl