* Best Actor: Ranbir Kapoor for Barfi!
Barf. But by all accounts, it was a great performance. I'm REALLY surprised this didn't go to SRK, though. I can't but think that all other things being the same, a few years ago, that if SRK in JTHJ vs. Ranbir in anything, SRK would have won.
King Khan is on the decline... and now he's doing the South Indian Minstrel Show in Chennai Express.
* Best Actress: Vidya Balan for Kahaani
"Oh, that's nice," says Filmi Girl.
* Best Film: Barfi!
REALLY?! REALLY?!!!!! Sigh. This is like when Crash won the Oscar. Feel-good middle-brow tripe. (I feel like Pessimisissimo's review was fair.)
* Best Director: Sujoy Ghosh for Kahaani
You've come a long way since Aladin, brother, but I always believed in you! Congratulations!
* Best Dialogue: Anurag Kashyap, Akhilesh Jaiswal, Sachin K Ladia, Zeishan Qadri for Gangs of Wasseypur
I haven't seen it but I'm sure AK did his usual job.
* Best Screenplay: Sanjay Chouhan & Tigmanshu Dhulia for Paan Singh Tomar
No. I couldn't get more than half an hour through this film before turning it off in boredom.
* Best Story: Juhi Chaturvedi for Vicky Donor
* Best Supporting Actor (Male): Annu Kapoor for Vicky Donor
Not my choice but it's always nice to see a veteran actor felicitated. Also, I enjoy using the word "felicitated."
* Best Supporting Actor (Female): Anushka Sharma for Jab Tak Hai Jaan
Not my choice but by all accounts she was the best part of the film - a thankless role done well is always worth awarding.
* Best Music Director: Pritam for Barfi!
Meh. I was unimpressed with all the nominees this year. For my money, the best soundtrack of 2012 was for 3 by Anirudh Ravichander. I feel like people in Bollywood have forgotten how to write anything other than disco songs or sappy montage songs. Picking from just Hindi films, I would have given it to Agneepath.
* Best Lyrics: Gulzar for "Challa" from Jab Tak Hai Jaan
Best Playback (Male): Ayushmann Khurrana for "Paani Da Rang" from Vicky Donor
Just no. N.O. NO! What is this with praising actors for singing as if the mere fact that they can carry a tune is praiseworthy? This represents nothing more than the slow creep of the Western obsession with the appearance of "authentic" over rewarding actual talent. I have like half an essay written on this subject, actually. How we in the West fetishize "doing the arts," at the expense of other things. So, we'll always reward the actor who "really" sings (see also: Les Miz) no matter how mediocre they are.
* Best Playback (Female): Shalmali Kholgade for "Pareshaan" from Ishaqzaade
It's nice to see some new blood here!
* RD Burman Award For Upcoming Talent In Music: Neeti Mohan for "Jiya Re" from Jab Tak Hain Jaan
Is she really an upcoming talent or is this a "We Need To Give JTHJ Something" Award?
* Lifetime Achievement Award: Yash Chopra
* Sony Trendsetter Of The Year: Barfi!
The "Thank You For Showing Up" Award! I guess Filmfare wanted to MAKE SURE that Priyanka and Ranbir showed up? We all know the REAL trendsetter this year was Nawazuddin Siddiqui but guys like him don't get awards.
* Best Debut (Male): Ayushmann Khurrana for Vicky Donor
What is the hard on that Bollywood had for Ayushmann and Vicky Donor this year? This should have gone to Varun Dhawan or a tie for him and Sid Malhotra. Varun popped off the screen in Student of the Year while Ayushmann was perfectly fine but he's far more Imran Khan than Three Khan material, if you know what I mean.
* Best Debut (Female): Ileana D'Cruz for Barfi!
It always seems silly to reward these South Indian veteran actors with "debut" awards but... I suppose this wouldn't have gone to Kanika Tiwari anyways.
* Best Debut (Director): Gauri Shinde for English Vinglish
I have to say that I was REALLY proud of Bollywood for all the women directors getting felicitated this year. Especially when you compared to Hollywood...
* Best Action: Sham Kaushal for Gangs Of Wasseypur
I haven't seen it but for those who have, was it better than Ek Tha Tiger?
* Best Cinematography: Setu for Kahaani
* Best Editing: Namrata Rao for Kahaani
* Best Sound Design: Sanjay Maurya & Allwin Rego for Kahaani
* Best Costume Design: Manoshi Nath & Rushi Sharma for Shanghai
"Oh, that's nice," says Filmi Girl.
* Best Production Design: Rajat Podar for Barfi!
* Best Background Score: Pritam for Barfi!
* Best Choreography: Bosco-Caesar for "Aunty Ji" from Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu
ARE YOU BARFI-ING KIDDING ME?!
^^ THIS?! CHOREOGRAPHY?! Bebo "stirring the pot" and Imran doing the Pappu Shuffle? Maybe an award for Quick Cutting To Disguise Hero's Lack Of Dancing Ability.
Farah Khan deserved a prize for this song... FANTASTIC bit of work.
But we all know what these awards shows are really about.. CELEBRITY SPOTTING!
FLAWLESS NAWAZUDDIN SIDDIQUI! He deserves all the awards.
Look at this man! *air kisses his cheeks* Ayushu-who, now?
Lovely, lovely Vidya Balan!
And the talented Shahana Goswami!
Ah... Dippy, sweetie, I think somebody forgot to give you the rest of your dress.
EEP! The creature from the Blue Lagoon! Something about the red lips with that mermaid dress is really unsettling.
Stepford Wife in Training. Remember to blink, Dia, honey.
Waiter! Bring me a glass of... oh, it's just Jackky and not somebody useful.
A true Meeting of the Douches.
All hail Urmila: QUEEN OF THE FAG HAGS! She'd give Kathy Griffin a run for her money. Maybe Urmila needs to go into stand up comedy?