Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Chennai Express: First Look!

So... Rohit Shetty + Shahrukh Khan + Deepika Padukone.

This is either going to be amazingly entertaining or like nails on a blackboard. Much depends on Rohit Shetty's ability to wrangle King Khan and on pulling a comedic performance out of Dippy. Neither of those things are impossible but I suspect Rohit will have his work cut out for him in channeling Shahrukh's energy in a productive direction.

Things could travel swiftly into the intolerable category considering one of the USPs is "lots of romance." Because everybody loves romance between uncles and twenty-something girls.

(And by everybody I mean nobody except the uncles in question.)



6 comments:

Stuart Martin said...

My big concern, without knowing a thing about the film, is the title. Is this another cynical marketing push by brand SRK to sell himself to Southies? Did they not fall at his feet and start worshipping him after his totally Tamil performance in Ra.One?

OG said...

Hey FG,

I am offended, frustrated more by this poster as a SI.....
SRK has consistently done this; right from his OSO to his Ra. One.....

I can appreciate a joke but this is just taking it to a whole new level....shame on him!

Filmi Girl said...

You guys both make an excellent point - looking again, it's kind of disturbing to have the fair skinned SRK in a "pile" of darker skinned SI guys...

OG said...

Hey FG,

It is not about the "dark skin" but the whole way SIs/tamilians are portrayed in his films with the usual stereotypes......either as blundering idiots or vacant in the head way...

Filmi Girl said...

@OG I get you - and the visuals of these posters seem to hint that we'll be seeing exactly that.

Thanks for pointing it out! I don't think I've seen anybody else say anything about it...

Divya said...

As another SI, I am frustrated by this poster. The whole bunch of stereotypical SI guys in the background , the garish shirt and lungi are all reinforcing NI notions of how we look. I am dreading this movie, especially considering SRK's RA One record. I also expect a plethora of terrible "jokes" on SI accents.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl