I'm typing from my reluctantly purchased, brand new one right now but I had many drafts and recordings that were just gone. I needed a few days to mourn.
Anyways. All is more or less back to normal and I am the proud owner of an external hard drive so this won't happen again if I can help it!
Thankfully there was nothing new at the box office, so I didn't really miss anything (I think.)
* We'll start with a sober note: Randhir Kapoor had been admitted to the hospital for breathing problems but is now stable.
* Happy Birthday to John Abraham who turns 40!
* It's time for some end of the year lists!
International Business Times gives the Top Grossers of 2012.
10. "Oh My God", which was produced on a budget of ₹20 crore, rounded off the list by doing a business of ₹81 crore in India. The film starring Akshay Kumar, Paresh Rawal and Mithun Chakraborty drew wide critical acclaim.
Times of India's Top Songs of 2012.
Rani and Prithviraj rocked the song and the lyrics itself were sensational, served in a typical South Indian style. Dreamum Wakeupum is one of the chartbusters of 2012.
The Times of India's Hottest Scenes of 2012.
Emraan Hashmi and hot scenes go hand-in-hand in Bollywood and now it seems Emraan has become a pro at it. Jannat 2 is a Bollywood crime thriller film and the sequel to the 2008 Hit movie, Jannat. The films songs became an instant hit with the masses like any other Emraan Film. The bold scenes between Emraan and Esha were extremely hot and saved the film upto an extent.
NDTV's Top Newsmakers of 2012.
At the same time, SRK was banned for five years from Mumbai's Wankhede Stadium as the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) alleged that SRK abused and misbehaved with security personnel and its officials after a match between his team Kolkata Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians. SRK had said that he was provoked when his children were “physically manhandled in the name of security”.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!!! Kangana Ranaut to play a science teacher who moonlights as a detective in a Nancy Drew-inspired movie. Did they raid my subconscious for this? Must… see it…. now… If Kangs has even a little to work with, she can make the dumbest material seem fresh and compelling. (See also: her role in Fashion.)
* I know we're all cynical about stars but sometimes… they just warm the heart - like Aamir Khan taking the time to meet a fan who cycled all the way from Ranchi to meet him. He didn't have to do this, you know?
One of my favorite lines in Khiladi 786 (which you should see if you like shouty comedies) is when the Khiladi's Punjabi family shows in Mumbai and immediately asks where Dharmendra's house is. Because obviously that is where they are staying.
* Sonam Kapoor is on an interview spree for some reason.
Though the 25-year-old got a chance to play diverse roles in a career span of five years, Sonam feels none of them was even close to her real life personality.
"I am too complicated a character to be incorporated in a film. I don't think anyone would be able to write such a complicated character like me," she said.
Alas, Sonam doing interviews does nothing to improve her public image. Sometimes, dear, it's better to be seen and not heard.
* Speaking of… ESHA DEOL hopes KATRINA lives up to the Dhoom name. Always good for a laugh, that Esha…
* When is Imtiaz Ali going to stop hiring bimbos. He's announced the cast for Highway and while Alia Bhatt is a refreshing choice, he can't quite quit his addiction to models and she'll be opposite Randeep Hooda.
Being produced jointly by Imtiaz Ali and Sajid Nadiadwala, Highway is said to be a love story about two extremely opposite people who come together.
And, apparently, he also can't quite quit that story of two extremely opposite people who come together.
* Vishal Bhardwaj is going to choreograph a special song for Emraan Hashmi in Ek Thi Daayan.
And VB's Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola gets an A certificate which he's not happy about but I assumed it was a film for grown-ups!! Why else would the trailer have Anushka Sharma making cracks about swimming nude?! Am I getting too prude or am I missing something here?
* I think this was rumored but Sonakshi and Shahid for Namak. Can he handle her? This will be an interesting pairing! I hope it works! I like them both.
* Bollywood has been hiring Hollywood talent.
The gritty cinematography for Don 2, Delhi Belly and Rock On!! was the handiwork of Englishman Jason West. "I asked Jason to come down to India for an ad shoot after I saw his work in Cannes a few years ago," says Abhinay Deo, director of Delhi Belly. Likewise Vikram Bhatt collaborated with foreign technicians to perfect the 3D presentation in Haunted.
* Shotgun Sinha had a party and the Bachchans came!
* Bebo's marriage has not affected her price tag.
* Catch up with 86-year old costume designer Bhanu Athaiya.
Ques: What do you have to say about the government's apathy towards you?
Bhanu Athaiya: That's their fault, not mine. I did my job and in an ideal world, I would have been decorated with a Padma award at least. I'm not bitter about it anymore and I somehow have a feeling that I had something more to give to the world than the other way round.
* Fashion at the Big Star Awards.
* Preity Zinta's failed comeback won't happen until 2013.
* Check out Sanjay Dutt's styling for Zanjeer.
Go back to the gender politics of the 1980s with Inkaar!
Check out Neil Nitin Mukesh attempting to punch above his weight class in David. How is it that this trailer looks awful but the Tamil one looks amazing? Are we in for a Raavan/Raavanan split?
Jackky Bhagnani's daddy buys him another chance to become a hero with Rangrezz. If this movie can get past my dislike of Jackky's smug, over-privliged face, it might actually be a fun timepass film.