Monday, December 31, 2012

Filmi Girl's Top Ten Films She Didn't Get to See in 2012!

One of the difficult things in following Indian films it that only a few get distributed here in America and fewer still get English subtitles. I am very grateful that my local theater has begun screening Tamil films and even more grateful that the Tamil film industry has begun subtitling them!

Between the lack of distribution and my limited amount of time to watch films, it's only understandable that some fall through the cracks. Here are the ten I wanted to see in 2012 but never got the chance.


10. Kalpana (Kannada)

All I really needed to know was: HORROR FILM STARRING UPENDRA. It’s a remake of Kanchana but since I haven’t seen that one, I think it’s okay to start with Upendra’s version.

9. Gangs of Wasseypur (Hindi)

I was unsure about this one because I have a limited tolerance for a) Anurag Kashyap indulging himself and b) "film festival" movies but the performances from Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Manoj Bajpai are supposed to be fantastic.

8. Drama (Kannada)

Any romantic-comedy film from Yograj Bhat is worth a look and his film this year was Drama!

7. Gabbar Singh (Telugu)

After the disappointing Dabangg 2, I’m kind of over Dabangg and so this has dropped on my list but I still want to see the Telugu remake.

6. English Vinglish (Hindi)

I know a lot of people were really excited about this film but it didn’t seem worth it to see it in the theater - it seemed more like a DVD watch. But by all accounts, Sridevi is fantastic and the film is very sweet.

5. Dhoni (Tamil)

This film popped up on my radar because of Prakash Raaj, who wrote and directed it. It seems like a sweet middle-class film... and is probably another great DVD watch.

4. Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu (Telugu)

I’m a big fan of director Puri Jagannath so I really wanted to see this. Power Star Pawan giving (according to reviews) badass punch dialogues? Yes, please.

3. Katari Veera Surasundarangi (Kannada)

Upendra. Superhit. Gangland revenge and, also, Ramya. And heaven. AND it’s in 3D? Why don’t films like this come to America?

2. Aiyyaa (Hindi)

By all accounts, I’ll probably really like this film. I already love the picturizations. And Rani. I think Aiyyaa is well on its way to becoming a cult classic.

1. Pizza (Tamil)

This low-budget sleeper hit written and directed by Karthik Subbaraj came out of nowhere but was one of the most talked about of the year. I don’t want to know too much about the plot for fear of spoiling myself for any twists but I do know that it’s a horror film about a pizza delivery boy. And I hope it’s released with subtitles soon!

2 comments:

Dr. Dang said...

Both 'gangs of wasseypur' and 'English vinglish' are excellent. Wach them when you get a chance.

aham said...

FG, Drama is currently playing in select cities in US, so check out the timings and location if you are interested, it has become a huge hit and a lot of people have liked it, and as far as Katari veera Surasundarangi goes, I havent seen it but from what I heard people loved the 3D part the most along with Upendra's witty dialogues(written by him),and assuming you are a fan of Uppi or at least a semi fan I suggest you watch Upendra the movie asap, its been a long time since you have seen 'A' its time to watch work of a true genius if you loved 'A' you will worship Upendra, and also it would be great to read your review on it, so its my request that you watch it asap, I hope you will.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl