Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wednesday Gossip: And I knew it al long time ago edition!

The big story today... CONGRATULATIONS, AMERICA!

Here is a helpful list of all the tweets from Bollywood stars on Obama's re-election. My favorite (natch) is Maddy:

Obama wins... And I knew it al long time ago.

Heh. ILU, Maddy. Make more movies, okay?


* Here we go. Possibly the biggest inside-baseball story of the year: AJAY DEVGN VS YASH RAJ FILMS.

The story so far.

Ajay is taking his plea to an apellate tribunal and gives a testy interview to Rediff.

You have been very vocal about the issue while Yash Raj is trying to be ignorant about it and has not even commented on it.

As you said, they are "trying to be ignorant" about the entire episode. I have read their response. They have tried to fool you guys (the media) by saying that there are 10,500 screens across India.

I don't think the media is so ignorant or stupid that you can fool them. If there are 10,500 theatres and they have only booked 1,500 theatres, leaving a massive 8,000 chunk for me, why would I send them a notice?

Am I a fool to spend money, lose my reputation and go to the court? It doesn't make sense logically.

Oh, Ajay... have some hugs from Washington, DC. I'm on your team, buddy.

IF it's true that Yash Raj strong-armed single screen theaters into signing on for Jab Tak Hai Jaan as a condition for Ek Tha Tiger than it means two things: 1) YRF didn't trust SRK to bring in the business on his own and used Salman's popularity as a crutch and 2) Ajay Devgn has a valid complaint.

Unfair? Yes, but whether or not it's against the law is another question. The CCI says it's just "smart business" but conspiracy theorists are rumbling about SRK's Congress Party links.

* And just for the lulz, Business of Cinema asks if being anti-SRK is the new trend and speculates on a MASSIVE RIFT IN BOLLYWOOD.

* With all that in mind, here is a timely article: actors who have turned producer.

This emphasis on marketing is a departure from the Guru Dutts and Raj Kapoors, who simply invested their money, focused on making the film, and banked on their popularity to do the rest. Today's actors, conscious about their brand image, are more picky about the films they want to be associated with. Abraham, who in his pre-acting days planned advertising campaigns for The Times of India and other brands at ad agency Enterprise Nexus, says: "This job helped me understand not only audience segmentation but also the demographics of an audience. It helped me plan my maiden production."

The whole article is actually pretty interesting - definitely worth a look.

* The race to build a powerhouse global media empire out of Mumbai...

Over the past few years, consumers have been increasing spend on entertainment, thanks to disposable income and better quality of content. In 2011, consumers spent 58% on TV, 17% on print and 19% on films. Jha says the potential for growth in consumer spend on E&M in India still remains high, as indicated by the existing penetration levels vis-a-vis other countries. The average annual spend (per capita) is estimated at a low $6.6 in 2011 in India, compared to $22 in China and $65 in Brazil.

* Sonakshi Sinha, I LOVE YOU! Seriously. I want to hang out with her and bitch about things over cocktails.

"I am a regular 25 year old, happy playing roles that let me be like that. Being fit is a part of this industry and I am quite fit. I don’t fall sick, collapse on sets and faint. I can work for long hours.”

HO SNAP!

* Subhash Ghai calls in all of his favors and signs Mithun Chakraborty to his upcoming film.

* Dippy finds performing the Garba for Sanjay Leela Bhansali really difficult - has the shadow of Aishwarya hanging over her.

Says our source, “For her Gujju Juliet’s role Deepika had to work from scratch. From her speech to her dancing she has gone through a complete revamp. But now when she’s been told to do ‘another Dholi taro’ Deepika is not enjoying the pressure of having to live up to a reference point.”

Good luck with that, Dippy...

2 comments:

Moimeme said...

That Business of Cinema article is utterly bizarre and reads as if it's been copied from a fan site. There have been many such articles in the past few days on fan based sites which have dragged in Salman's name for reasons that I can't comprehend. It was announced more than four months ago that he would make a cameo appearance in a song for SOS. But now, in view of Ajay's appeal, it's being said that Salman is doing the song to show his enmity with SRK. Wow. As I said, I'm just surprised to see such "news", couched in such banal writing, at a site like Business of Cinema.

Filmi Girl said...

@moimeme Right? I clicked on it out of curiosity but had laugh as I read through it!! It's the kind of thing you usually read on KoiMoi or something.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl