Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thursday Gossip: The helping that "other film" get good publicity edition!

GOOD MORNING!! I got up extra early for an extra special interview with Talaash director Reema Kagti. I hope to have it up by the weekend.


* Let's start with some sad news - Pakistan's parody king Sikandar Sanam has passed away. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

* The BJP airs its grievances:

"I came to know about the attack on Hindu beliefs in two recent movies - 'Oh my God' and 'Student of the Year'. In the latter, there are references to Radha not knowing how to dance and being invited to the dance floor to learn dancing. Why is it that the attack in films is only on Hindu beliefs and on names like Sita, Radha and Kaushalya," she asked.

And apparently India won't buy dairy products from the US because of how we treat our cows? Is that true?

(Rajinikanth doesn't seem to care what they think and rumor has it he's considering a remake of OMG. OOOO! This link has an adorable photo of a young Akki and Aishwarya Dhuanush!)

* We have a SRK-Katrina Lux ad to look forward to.

* Words of wisdom from the lovely Kat:

One of the biggest stars in the country, Katrina Kaif, is not on Twitter. While chatting with her fans on YouTube, one fan asked her why. “The reason I wouldn’t or so far haven’t is because I think people take it too seriously. So if you can’t really write on which is meant to be a platform express exactly what you feel without having to be guarded or have it dissected, then I don’t think it makes sense."

* Salman's Dabangg 2 trailer will be launched on November 9th on Bigg Boss.

* Ajay Devgn continues to rage against the machine.

How has the industry reaction been so far?

(Smiles) Well, mera bhala ho yaa naa ho par kam se kam industry people are calling up to say that hamara bhala toh ho jaayega. They (Yash Raj Films) are talking about being fair and all, par jo baatein ho rahi hain uske hisaab se toh sabko pata hai, that it is all rubbish. If you talk about fair, then I will give you a simple example. Main to yahi bol raha hoon that I don't want any compensation or their release to be stopped. I am not asking for any damages. I am being fair.

* And rage some more...

Many of your recent movies are what are defined as mass entertainers, and while they do make money, one can't help but notice the contrast between the sort of movie you made as a director - You, Me And Hum - and the sort that you regularly are appearing in as a lead actor.

See, to make that sort of a film you have to hear a fabulous script, like, for instance, a Zakhm. Not too many people bring you a script like that anymore. A script where you think, well, I don't know what this will earn, but it will give me satisfaction, it'll give me a reputation, it'll give me awards. And the second thing is that finally, it's a business, and you have to do films that will recover money. Right now I'm doing that, till I get a script like that.

* Some reporter gets him to snap during a promotional interview for Son of Sardaar:

"Why do you want me to talk about JTHJ? I would really not want to comment on it. In fact, I feel my film SOS is helping some other film to get good publicity, so I would rather limit myself in talking about anything related to the other film."

* But the real tragedy of the Ajay Devgn-Yash Raj fight... KAJOL MIGHT NOT GET INVITED TO THE JTHJ PREMIERE.

* Really? We're dragging this old weight loss bullshit again to fill screen space? I know a story that could be reduced to "size zero."

* Javed Jaaferi is supporting documentaries.

"Documentaries can also be made in an interesting manner. Michael Moore is a famous documentary filmmaker and he has also seen commercial success. His documentaries also earned money and the point he wanted to make was always bang on," the 48-year-old said here Wednesday at the announcement of first ever REX - Ideas for Action.

* Interview with Ayushmann Khurrana.

"Bollywood is going though a golden era currently as every kind of cinema is working today. If films like English Vinglish, Paan Singh Tomar and Vicky Donor are working well, then there are films like Dabangg and Rowdy Rathore, which are equally doing good," he said.

"This is the era when the Indian film industry is looking beyond nepotism. It's open to outsiders also. So if you have certain talent and if you get the right opportunity, then nobody can stop you. I am born in the brighter time," he added.

* Ekta Kapoor teams up with Bejoy Nambiar for a co-production.

* Chetan Bhagat, current King of Scripts, is excited about Kick.

"I am very happy that neither Salman nor Sajid want this film to be a quickie remake affair. If they wanted, they could have played safe. However, we are paying homage to the original while also bringing it to a level which justifies Salman's presence in the film."

I'll definitely be curious to see how this turns out...

* Will there be a sequel to Phas Gaye Re Obama? The first film was okay... I loved Neha Dhupia's character. I'm not sure if it warrants a sequel, though.

* A fire causes trouble for the cast of Yamla Pagla Deewana 2.

3 comments:

Bastard Keith said...

This Ajay Devgn business is getting a little out of control. As far as I can tell, he's upset that he's losing screens to THE prestige project of the season, a film from a bigger star (you will not find money-burning duds like Aakrosh, Toonpur Ka Superhero, Tezz or Rascals on SRK's recent resume) and a cherished, dead director. A team that had wielded some of the most popular and acclaimed Hindi cinema of the last few decades.

The forced "Ek The Tiger - Jab Tak Hai Jaan" twofer deal was bunk. Loads of screens that showed ETT will not be showing JTHJ. This matters because it was, after all, the crux of the complaint, that YRF was using the success of the former to strongarm exhibitors into showing the latter.

I think that both movies look great and I can't wait to see them. But Ajay Devgn is upset that his goofball Southie remake isn't getting first pick of screens against what has, by virtue of a number of factors both good and tragic, become an historic film event. And that was never going to happen.

Like I said: I wanna see 'em both. But the histrionics are getting to be a little much here.

Filmi Girl said...

@bastard keith I definitely want to see both, as well. And I also empathize with Ajay feeling like his home production is getting overshadowed by the relentless juggernaut of SRK-YRF promotions but... I agree that his histronics are out of proportion to the alleged crime and aren't doing him any favors. Unless there really is something that we don't know about (my backroom deal gone sour theory), I have a feeling Ajay's crusade may end up hurting him in the end.

Ajay is an interesting character. In his heart, you know that he wants to be making serious, sober, Important (capital I) cinema but his fame and success rest on the goofy masala films. In a way, I can't help but wonder if his doing something like a Rascals is a subconsciously passive-aggressive move against the audience on his part. (i.e. Oh, you like crap? I can make crap!)

Or maybe he just wanted to burn some money and hang out with Sanju and the girl(s) he's banging by some resort pool in Thailand.

Dr. Dang said...

I actually liked aakrosh

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl