Tuesday, November 6, 2012

No News Today: VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

No gossip today because I have to go do my patriotic duty and vote.

I was trying to think of a political link to post about instead (poll of favorite actors turned politicians; list of politics themed songs...) but, as somebody who “inside the Beltway,” I find myself frustrated by a lot of what passes for politics in films. Hollywood AND Bollywood.

Usually, politics in film plays up the back-stabbing and greed and personal foibles of the politicians, as if there are no real world consequences of their legislation. Alas, this is generally how the (American) media covers politics, as well.

No wonder we’re all so frustrated.

Three of the better films with a political bent that I’ve seen out of the Indian film industries in the last few years are:


Kabul Express - I wish this film could been seen by more Americans. It puts a human face on the political posturing by the countries (and other interest groups) messing around in Afghanistan.

It’s not surprising that Kabir Khan was a photojournalist.

My review of the film is here.

Ko - Another film by a former photojournalist, KV Anand, Ko captures the necessity of the political narrative in a way that manages to be both cynical and hopeful. It’s a fantastic film.

My review is here; excuse the broken picture links. I’ll try to fix them tonight.

Shanghai - Here is a film that is all about the effects of politicians games on the people and bureaucrat trying to do their jobs. It’s not a perfect film nor is it as groundbreaking as the hype surrounding it but it is more realistic than a lot of what passes for politics in film...

My review is here.

4 comments:

Moimeme said...

No news post today? Oh, dear, and I was so eagerly looking forward to seeing what you would say on the ongoing YRF-ADF legal fight, especially because major developments happened while you were sleeping (hey, maybe you should title one of your news posts as "While I was Sleeping edition" :) )

To wit, first the Competition Commission of India refused to hear the case filed by Ajay Devgn Films against YRF, saying that the complainant (ADF) had not established that YRF are in a dominant position in the industry. Here's the link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/CCI-rejects-Ajay-Devgns-plea-against-Yash-Raj-Films/articleshow/17112819.cms

In response, ADF said (as tweeted by Taran Adarsh):


taran adarsh ‏@taran_adarsh

Ajay Devgn Films: "We are shocked by the rejection of our legitimate case by CCI. We have approached Appellate Tribunal against the order"

And the political connection of this news story is that many people in India were commenting (on TOI, HT) that the CCI would not rule against SRK, because of his close ties to the Congress party. Whether that's true or not, at least you have the political tie in. :)

I do appreciate your shout out to the three political films, though. BTW, did you ever see the original of "Shanghai", "Z"?

Medha said...

Hey Filmigirl,

I don't know if you've ever seen / written about it before, but what are your thoughts on Rang De Basanti? Personally, I think it's an amazing political movie and I've heard that it's started quite a few movements amoung the youth as well.

Filmi Girl said...

@moimeme :D I did read a little bit about it before I went out and WOW! What a mess!! I'm not sure what to think except I keep circling back to our theory about the "backroom" deal that went sour. I'll try to read some more tonight... who knows if we'll get the truth from either party.

@Medha I have seen it! :) I remember crying buckets at the end, too. Definitely one of the better political movies to come out recently, for sure. I'll have to watch it again to see how it holds up. I haven't seen it since it came out.

Moimeme said...

@FG - Ajay gave a very detailed and strong interview to Rediff, which was clearly given before the CCI decision was made, but which was published after their decision was announced. In it he says that YRF were "approached" through intermediaries (mostly distributors), though he didn't approach them directly himself, since he didn't have that kind of relationship with them.

Re RDB, I was so excited about it when it was announced, and so disappointed with it when it released. :( The ending really killed it, if you;ll pardon the pun. I thought Nayak, which released a few years before it, was much better, though it's pretty much run of the mill Shankar masala (but it was my first exposure to his brand of films, so it made a strong impression).

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl