The auction includes a portrait of Bollywood superstar Salman Khan by Rashid Rana from his Ommatidia series of photomontages, estimated at Rs 7,50,000 to Rs. 10,00,000 (USD 15,000 to 20,000). Rana blurs the boundaries between advertising, painting, print making, photography and video. In this series, created in 2004, the artist comments on the social construction of celebrity and the role of fantasy. Salman Khan, the superstar of Indian cinema is idolized throughout South and West Asia as a paragon of masculinity and sexuality. This series of works, however, is not about the star. This portrait is composed of several thousand smaller images of ordinary Pakistani men, whose shared aspirations Rana believes uphold the entire industry.
And now on to the news!
* The rapes charges against the Bandar-car have been dismissed.
* Sonakshi on the annoying media "truism" that follows her around:
"I don't choose my roles based on what my character will wear. The roles that I have chosen till date, I have liked the characters and situations of the film. If I get to play a character who will wear western clothes and if I am comfortable, I will do it," Sonakshi told IANS in a group interview.
a) Why is the press determined to put her into the "desi" slot and b) why is that slot considered apart from other roles?
* You stay grown up, girl! She also smacks down charges of a feud with Farah Khan and says about Joker:
"I think success and failure are part of every profession, everyone goes through it. Joker was a risk that everyone took. It did not do well, audience did not accept it, it is ok. It happens," Sonakshi said.
* VIDYUT JAMWAL!!!!! His next film is Commando but, alas, it looks like it won't be released until March?
"The highlight of the film is that I have done the stunt scenes on my own. There are no stunt doubles in the film. So, basically it's the first official action movie with real stunt scenes. I have trained specially for the film."
I repeat: VIDYUT JAMWAL!!!!!!! Isn't it nice for once for somebody to say that the highlight of the film is their talent and not their bikini bod or "the story"?
* Oh, Reema Kagti... I love you. She is fighting a lonely battle against the "no smoking" tags that need to be inserted in films now.
The government should take some real action like ban smoking rather than making the filmmakers a soft target. As a filmmaker it is my job to reflect reality. And whether you like it or not, smoking is a reality that exists. A kid can buy a cigarette at any nook and corner. I am happy to suffer for my art but not due to third-party interference!
I definitely agree in principle but practically speaking it might be better to save the battles with the Censor Board for something bigger.
Point: I cannot wait for Talaash.
* Instead of continually trying to make it as a hero, Adhyayan Suman should team up with Jackky Bhagnani, Harman Baweja, Uday Chopra, Mimoh Chakroborty, and Neil Nitin Mukesh for the GREATEST REALITY SHOW OF ALL TIME in which they live in a house together in Los Angeles, mack on girls, and live out a half-assed Entourage for our entertainment.
Although I do enjoy stumbling across desperate promotional stories like this:
During one of the promotional shoots for the movie, Adhyayan's mother Alka Kapur who is a fashion designer styled an outfit for her son. According to a source close to him, this was a very proud moment for Adhyayan as he looked very handsome and the entire film unit felt that he had never looked like this before.
* Delightful quote from Salman Khan... to Arjun Kapoor.
* Salman Khan will not be changing his look for Sher Khan.
The Ishaqzaade actor confesses, "He still corrects the way I walk, the way I talk. I've been forced to make the transition. Salman hates me wearing chappals. He lambasts me every time he sees me in chappals. He constantly tells me - 'Don't walk like that; it's not a man's walk. Walk with a certain confidence; don't drag yourself. It is a lazy walk. Improve'. I guess it is a fat boy's walk!"
* NO! Priyanka Chopra cannot play Mary Kom!!! They need to get an actress from a Northeastern state to play Mary - we talk about this all the time for Hollywood movies... (Hello, Argo and Cloud Atlas.)
Why not somebody like Masochon Zimik from Chak De India?
The trailer for Vetriselvan, which looks fantastic.
And a solid track from Atif Aslam from upcoming Vivek Oberoi film Jayanta Bhai Ki Luv Story. It's been too long, Atif! TOO LONG! I love his voice so much.