Thursday, November 29, 2012

Mon... no Wednes... no THURSDAY GOSSIP! Back from Brazil Edition!

Good morning! YES! I'm back from Brazil! I had a fantastic time and although technically I probably shouldn't start blogging again until Monday (because I should be studying for the JLPT which is on Sunday) I couldn't resist! I missed everybody!!
And a big congratulations to my friend Eric and his new wife Erika!!






Sao Paulo!



Brasilia!

Also, I had to talk about Priyanka Chopra getting cast as Mary Kom in the biopic. SERIOUSLY?! Even putting aside my dislike of Priyanka, it just seems really shamefully "Hollywood-like" to cast a tall, slim, typical North Indian beauty queen as Mary Kom - short, buff, and from the Northeast. We rarely see actresses with the distinctive Northeastern features in Bollywood and it looks like even Mary's are going to be erased. Who knows... maybe they'll just set the biopic entirely in Delhi or something.

It's really disappointing to see the "new" "realistic" Bollywood following in the homogenizing footsteps of Hollywood.

Masochon Zimik, anybody? She played a girl from Mary Kom's home state of Manipur in Chak De India.



A quick hunt on Google reveals plenty of gorgeous Manipuri actresses (like Bala here) who would probably love to play the role of one of their state's most famous women.

Maybe I'm just being idealistic but I believe there is more beauty in the diversity of the human race in shape and size and feature than in some arbitrary standard set by a corporate board in Bombay or New York.

Anyways. Let's just hope they don't slant her eyes like Deepika Padukone wanted to for Chandni Chowk to China.

WELCOME BACK TO ME! DID YOU MISS ME?!


* Sad news first - Manisha Koirala's troubles just keep growing. She has been diagnosed with cancer. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Manisha.

* But Pran is doing okay. Please stay healthy, sir!!

* Shiney Ahuja: Still a douchebag.

Shiney said he was framed in a "frivolous" case and the worst possible damage had been done to him. He said he was suffering "individually, psychologically, emotionally, socially and professionally" because of the case.

If you don't like it, then don't go around sexually assaulting women, ass. I don't think the girl who was assaulted or her family found the case very frivolous.

* Rajesh Khanna's family drama continues.

* The Peshawar Club.

Mohammad Yaqoob, a 90-year-old resident of Dhakki, remembers Raj Kapoor fondly.

"He was my buddy back in the 1920s. He was a year younger than me. We used to play a game of sticks called gulli-danda. We went to the same school," he recalls.


* Did anybody else follow the progress of Tamil film Pizza? It was a surprise hit and Bejoy Nambiar has bought the remake rights.

* Trailer for Bhaag Milkha Bhaag to release with Talaash. Maybe Farhan will invite me to see it at his new private screening theater.

* IMAX is excited about India.

India has some specific challenges unique to it and one of them is that the 90 percent of movies seen by the public is Bollywood centric. So we realised that in order to succeed in India, we need to have a balance of Hollywood films and local content. 

Now, we had a dilemma, because you cant really afford it always. We take a movie and convert it into IMAX print, which costs us around $1-1.5 million to do that. So unlessyou have enough theatres open, the economics really don't work.

So we wait to get to the point where we can have the mix of Hollywood and local content. Again to use China as an example, we did first film in China three years ago and this year we are doing five.

* Irrfan Khan joins the cast of Gunday.

* Sunny Leone to do an item for Sunny Deol.

* John Abraham is the sexiest man alive.

* Um... hello? I like John but his day is over. It's all about Vidyut Jamwal, who will be walking the ramp in a towel. Yes, please.

* Four words to strike fear into the stoutest heart: Bigg Boss Horror Comedy.

* Salman's gloriously Sallu-style recounting of the Dabangg kerfuffle.

Salman Khan said that he even called Abhinav later, "I did a lot. I told him - 'I don't know who has tutored you to refuse the sequel. Meri baat mano, do the film.' I called him twice. Then his brother (Anurag) gave some weird interviews and went on Twitter and all that stuff happened."

All that stuff happened.

Did I mention I love Bhai?

* There's no point to this story except an enjoyable bit of filmi hyperbole. Is Rana using Neil Nitin Mukesh's publicist?

* Is Ameesha Patel a bimbette. "Yes" is winning the poll by a mile.

* Ranbir Kapoor to start the Kishore Kumar biopic.

* Rekha to play Sharman Joshi's granny in an upcoming film.



I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!














































































7 comments:

Divya said...

Welcome Back FG!!, Yes we did miss you :).

Are you all set for Talaash tomorrow? Will you be watching Jab Tak Hai Jaan. Eagerly awaiting an opinion from you :)

Moimeme said...

Welcome back, Filmi Girl! And yes, I did miss you. :)

As grateful as I am to see you back to blogging again, I have to ask -- were you maybe just a wee bit jet lagged when you wrote this post? You read the interview of Salman where he makes a specific and lengthy point of hating to be called "bhai" and "Sallu", and you go ahead and use both terms to praise him? Ahem. :)

Moimeme said...

OK, on following your link for the Salman interview I see that you've chosen that shining example of cut and paste (sometimes out of context) site, One India, and didn't, in fact read the whole interview. So here you go:

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/index.aspx?page=article&sectid=30&contentid=201211292012112903002741320791e91&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

You'll find even more interesting comments on the brothers Kashyap, as well as his views on Chulbul, Sallu, and bhai. :)

Raghunath Gb said...

Hi,

I am surprised.I had always imagined you as a NRI settled in US. But you look like a American..Or the photos cheating me?

Thanks,
Raghunath GB

Filmi Girl said...

@moimeme As they say in Brazil... obrigado! :) Yes, usually I'll look for the "leadnig daily" if the article references one but yesterday I was lazy. ;))) I'll read the full interview like a good girl and see what Salman (sir?) has to say.

@Raghunath GB I am American, as you can see. I never want to confuse anybody so I make sure you can see my picture on FB and twitter. All the best! :)

Moimeme said...

@FG -- No, no, just Salman. To quote the man himself, "My parents gave me a fabulous name, so use it." (or something like that - so, not an exact quote).

Never ever call him Salman Sir - I abominate that particular form of address -- for everyone, not just him. (On my last trip to India, I had to spend the first two weeks convincing everyone I really, really did not want to be called Moimeme Madam. :) )

Raghunath Gb said...

Hi Filmigirl,

Art & entertainment has no boundries and nationalities.Its nice to see people like you who prove that.

Thanks,
Raghunath GB

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl