* Another sad day for Bollywood - Jaspal Bhatti has passed away. You may not know his name but I'm sure you know his face from movies like Fanaa.
My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
* An interesting piece on the growth of the South Asian community in Central Massachusetts. Is anybody living there?
Watanabe says he doesn’t know of any Indian Americans who have been elected to the state Legislature, although some have served in Massachusetts as city councilors and selectmen. The reasons for the lack of representation, he said, have more to do with the state’s political structure than any immigrant group.
“You could ask this about almost any group except white or males in Massachusetts,” he said. “It’s nothing particular to South Asians. It has to do with a lot of things, including the power of incumbency in the state.”
* It looks like Vishal Bhardwaj really kicked Imran Khan's ass during preparations for Matru Ki Biljee Ka Mandola. (No dance lessons, though, judging by the trailer... heh.)
* Is the tide turning for gay characters in Bollywood? Pooja Bhatt tweeted something on it, which was apparently worth making an entire article out of but with Rishi Kapoor's mainstream and sympathetic portrayal of a gay man... maybe we are seeing a tide change.
Tweeted Pooja Bhatt on the social networking site, “Maybe someday we will portray gay people in Hindi films with the dignity they deserve. Tired of seeing them only used to evoke laughter.”
* I hope this biopic on boxer Mary Kom gets made.
Kom is a poor farmer’s daughter from Manipur in India’s remote north-east, a region most Indians know nothing about. When people from the north-eastern states emigrate to other parts of the country for work, they often face -discrimination. “I hope the film will bridge the gap between the north-east and the rest of India, and will bring them closer together,” says Kom. “I also hope it shows the gender bias that women sometimes suffer in boxing.”
* Subhash Ghai signs the Deols.
* Jackky Bhagnani's nth relaunch has a new gimmick - bananas.
Confirming this, Vashu states that he came up with this concept since bananas play a pivotal role in the film, since Jackky and his dad turn banana vendors for some portions of the film. Being the common man's fruit, Vashu decided to give cine viewers a special treat with the bananas.
* Ishkq in Paris delayed again.
* Emraan Hashmi is bored by the media's obsession with minutia of celebrity's lives.
Dharma just posted Sid's intro song from Student of the Year!!! EEEE! If you had any doubts about how fun this movie was, just take a look. Haters TO THE LEFT!