Saturday, September 15, 2012

I have a low tolerance for mawkishness...

... and for stories about magical disabled people.

I can't say I've been surprised at the fawning reviews of Barfi but I have a feeling Raja Sen's review would come closest to my feelings on the topic, if I forced myself to see the film... which I won't do. To quote Mr. Raja Sen:

As Jhilmil, Priyanka Chopra, god bless her soul, does indeed try valiantly to play autistic, but -- trapped not just by the film's most flawed character and plotline -- makes that cardinal mistake expressed so unforgettably in Tropic Thunder: she goes full retard. She's not bad, even very effective in a couple of scenes, but her character belongs to a different film. (Ideally a shorter one, because it does drag this one down.)

Ah, finally, a note of sanity amidst the Taran Adarsh-led praise for PC's "autistic" performance. I haven't seen the film but I have been forced to sit through the trailer a handful of times in the theater and let me just say autism != coyly biting one's lip and secretly being in love Ranbir Kapoor.

I really wish Anurag Basu had taken some time to listen to Temple Grandin speak on the subject or read some Oliver Sacks because the autistic mind is fascinating... when not being used as a plot device.




5 comments:

Sal said...

You know that I am not the biggest fan of PC, but a) critics who don't always agree with Taran have reviewed both the film and PC's performance strongly and b) a friend who's had experience working with people on the autism spectrum told me that the performance rang true for her. Also, I think a lot of reviews emphasize that the film mostly avoids the mawkish and the overly sentimental, and is light on its feet.

(Laura) said...

HAHAHAHAHA. Ok, NOW I am totally seeing this. And probably going to hell.

Thelondongirl said...

did she say " go full retard"?? a universe of wrong lol

Thelondongirl said...

oh he said, my bad.

Maheshwari L said...

>>I have a low tolerance for mawkishness...
... and for stories about magical disabled people
oh u have no idea how glad I'm to have stumbled into this page...i was beginning to wonder if i were from some other planet for being the only one who wanted to walk out of Barfi.
A pseudomental patient, a not-so-single beauty and a happy-go-lucky simpleton - in a love(?!) triangle...and some people have had the audacity to call this "poetry"!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl