Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Disco Song



*dances* I have a feeling this is going to be super fun on the big screen! I love Alia's red dress. I WANT ONE! (Is Karan going to give us a shopping guide?)

I'll be the first person to admit that I was really wary of Student of the Year when I first heard about it.

Unlike a lot of you, I was never a huge fan of Karan Johar's films. Don't get me wrong - I liked Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham but I didn't love them. And I don't think I could tell you exactly why. Is it the fetishization of Shahrukh (a running theme through all of KJo's work)? Or maybe it's just the depiction of romantic love as the most important thing in the universe (besides a nice wardrobe)?


Whatever the case may be, I surprised myself by really loving the promos for Student of the Year. The film feels like a good high school movie, which is one of my all time favorite genres. At that age, in that contained environment, the smallest problems can magnify into something huge. And though "coming of age" is a theme that has been done and done again, there are always a new group of teens to whom it will feel brand new because they haven't come of age yet.

It's OUR time!

That's why I love a good high school film. It can give even us old timers a burst of that young energy. And as somebody who happily paid to see Prom and High School Musical 3 in the theater let me say this: setting the film in an "imaginary" high school is just genius. I haven't seen it done quite like this before and I cannot wait for this film to release.

A big tip of the hat to Mr. Karan Johar!


2 comments:

Melanie said...

Surprisingly I like the song, it's very catchy! I don't know about the movie yet but I agree with you about Johar... I didn't like KKHH (please don't kill me people!) and liked to a certain extent K3G so this film is a welcome change

Sal said...

We agree about stuff! Yay! Haha, I love this too. I have to say, I miss your gossip posts, FG. Your take on Bollywood goings-on often differ from mine, but the kind of intelligent analysis of a crazy industry you bring to your posts is pretty rare.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl