Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tuesday Gossip!

Good morning!!! Let's get to our news!


* I don't know why I find this so cute but... Jackie-uncle doesn't know how the Internet works and wants to sue "somebody" over the video of him cursing going viral.

Jackie grievance pertains to  the sneaking and underhand way the video was out. “Why after so many years? It’s mischievous and uncalled-for. Friends have advised me to sue. I don’t know how internet crimes are dealt with. I’m going to consult my lawyers as soon as I return to Mumbai.”

Oh, Jackie Shroff! How about you just make sure I get a DVD of your Tamil language gangster film instead. Mmkay? Much better use of your time, unless you plan on having your lawyer send a cease-and-desist notice to everybody on Twitter who RT'ed it.

* Aamir's son Junaid will be assisting Raj Kumar Hirani on his new film. The article makes it sound like it was Junaid's idea and that he loves but I wonder if he doesn't just love his dad and want to please him.

* Shekhar Kapur still has Paani in the works!

* Saif-Bebo wedding postponed to December.

* O ho ho! And now SLB is bitter that Bebo signed a film with Karan Johar after walking out of Ram Leela.

Shouldn't he really be mad at himself for not accommodating Miss Thing's wedding? At an event to promote Bela Saigal’s debut film, Shirin Farhad...co-produced by Bhansali and Eros, the producer-filmmaker was conspicuous by his absence. More so because, KJo was one of the star guests. And if insiders are to be believed, Bhansali’s decision to stay away from the event may have something to do with a heroine one lost, and the other gained recently, Kareena Kapoor.

OR is this story all bullshit and SLB was never supposed to come anyways...

But a friend of the filmmaker attributed the absence to the music recording of his next, Ram Leela. “If you notice, Bhansali attends only the launch and first look events for his films. He never comes for the other promotions,” added the friend.

And lo the Mumbai Mirror spins a press conference into a dramatic article.

* Karan Johar doesn't want to make epic love stories - just love stories.

* On the one hand, I'm happy that Saif and Dippy had a hit and that Cocktail wasn't as dire as it seemed from the trailers. I may rag on people but it's always nice to see a film succeed. BUT, on the other hand, old Saifu has taken exactly all the wrong lessons away from this experience. Namely, that he is still "young and happening" when, in fact, almost everybody felt he was too old for the role and that the real USP was the two girls and their friendship.

"Saif took up serious roles like KURBAAN and AARAKSHAN but not many stepped in theatres. Then he invested so much in AGENT VINOD and tried to get into a cool espionage thriller setting. On the other hand it was all fun-n-frolic in COCKTAIL and the film has turned out to be the biggest opener ever for Saif. This clearly explains that Saif has a certain set image and he should benefit out of that," a veteran filmmaker adds.

* Akshay Kumar's look in Once Upon A Time in Mumbaai 2 as discussed by Milan Luthria:

"We will start look tests once Akshay is free from his other commitments. His look will be close to Pacino’s (in Scarface). We are also using Mr Bachchan’s wardrobe from the ’70s and ’80s as inspiration. We will present him in a never-before-seen avatar, which is very old world, yet classy,” says Milan, adding that they will begin shooting around August-September.

* Here's an interesting little news item for those of us who like Southscope - it seems publisher Allu Sirish is moving into acting.

I always wanted to act, but never as a hero/lead actor. I had several offers, but I did not want to jump at it. Over the last two years, I became confident that I could carry the burden of the entire movie on my shoulders. This is a huge responsibility. I should live up to the expectations, yet create a distinct identity of my own.

This is SUCH a cheezy publicity stunt but... I bet it made a lot of regular people happy to stumble across three random aliens. The filmi types seem annoyed but there is one shot in there ~:40 of some regular people having fun and getting their picture taken with them.

And will MTV's Coke Studio India season 2 be better than season 1? We can only wait and find out. Check it out here.

9 comments:

eliza bennet said...

"but I wonder if he doesn't just love his dad and want to please him."

Why would you wonder that?

Filmi Girl said...

@eliza Sometimes teenagers hate their parents or resent them... I don't think it's implausible that Junaid might be resentful of his father in some ways but also really crave his attention. My "wondering" was on Junaid's motives for taking this internship - whether he really loves movies or whether he is doing this to please his father.

Robespierre said...

I'm with you on the Saif thing - I think his midlife crisis is hilarious, but I wish Agent Vinod, flawed as it was, was the successful one. I really enjoyed Cocktail, but as a Saif fan I can't say I'm excited for the string of lukewarm "young" love romcoms that are sure to follow.


I also performed the highly scientific experiment of casually asking my non-Bollywood initiated friends after watching Cocktail how old they thought he was - the consensus was "um...45?"

Filmi Girl said...

@robespierre Right? It's like Saif doesn't understand that he wasn't the selling point of that film and it would have equally (if not more) successful with an up-and-comer like Ranveer or Arjun or even rom-com reliable Imran.

You know, I wonder if it won't be Saif that breaks off this wedding. If his mid-life crisis has him looking at younger and younger heroines...

getfilmy said...

FG,

Totally unrelated, but are you doing the Three Idiots post? I'm totally looking forward to that!

Also, that MM story about Bhansali & KJo, I was so looking forward to a legit catfight. Tsk HATE it when they pretend there's a controversy and it turns out to be a benign press conference.... ;)

And you know my thoughts on Saif Uncle.

Filmi Girl said...

@getfilmy I am! Working hard... despite appearances to the contrary, my longer posts take some time to think out and write. :)

Robespierre said...

Well, in my own sad case, Saifu uncle was indeed the main draw - but you're totally right.

The most infuriating thing about Bollywood to me is the slavish insistence on younger heroines - if we're going to pretend SRK and Saif (and even Aamir!) are 20-somethings, why are Kajol and Juhi immediately sidelined once they get a little past 30?

eliza bennet said...

Thanks filmigirl, maybe I take things at face value. I thought he saw his father working hard and being so passionate about cinema and that his efforts are rewarded both financially and audience appreciation that he'll not hesitate to get into the same field. That's what I would do.

As for Saifu, he lost me on that side of botox in Love Aaj Kaal (I would have loved it despite Deepika if only it starred someone else other than Saif uncle - someone else= not Vivek Oberoi)

paminthegarden.com said...

I love Jackie Shroff, so when I read your post I went to youtube and watched the video. It's adorable and I was laughing so hard, and I don't even speak Hindi. I was going to look for a copy of the video that had subtitles so I know exactly what he says, and then realized that it's funnier just watching him. Thanks for posting this bit of news that made my morning happier, since I also love cursing so much.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl