Thursday, July 5, 2012

Thursday News Post

While I enjoyed my day off, it's hard to back to work today... yesterday felt like the weekend but really it was Wednesday. Sigh. Now today is my second "Monday" of the week.

At least we're getting TWO films I want to see this weekend! Bol Bachchan and what I think is the Tamil dub of Eega! I'm not sure on subtitles but I guess I will find out...

And onto NEWS!


* The media coverage of the Laila Khan story has been really awful and not a little insensitive. After trumpeting that she was alive in Dubai (as claimed by a suspect), they are now reporting that she was shot dead outside of Mumbai (as claimed by another suspect.)

* Huge auction of Bollywood memorabilia at the end of the month at the Cinefan Film Festival in New Delhi.

* Interview with Sharmila Tagore in preparation for an appearance in Vancouver.

Tagore points out conditions have also improved for Indian actresses. Not only do they have more points of entry into the industry because of television shows and advertisements, she says, but they also have more control over their careers.

"Earlier, all the [actresses] were pretty exploited by the producers, directors, their mentors," said Tagore. "Now, that kind of exploitative situation is much less. The girls get to keep whatever they earn."

I thought this was a revealing little quote... I wonder how many actresses had all their money taken by "managers." If I remember correctly, Subhash Ghai was notorious for that kind of thing.

* I love Rakesh Roshan. He knows how to make films that I want to see.

“Given our monetary restrictions, we’ve done whatever we could do with the action scenes. But our forte is the drama. So, we have based all the action in emotions.”

And this is how you do it! Don't compete on money, compete where it matters! Hollywood has bags of cash but Rakesh has something better - Hrithik and his ability to emote to the last row in the theater.

Rakesh knows that he needs to use the tools he has - you don't hammer a nail with a screwdriver.

* Another filmmaker who understands this is Rohit Shetty.

"I would personally not run down any cinema just because I am not capable of making it. Anurag Kashyap makes a certain kind of cinema; I make a different kind. But when we meet, we are friendly. Just the other day, we were chatting for half an hour outside my office, and Anurag paid me a huge compliment when he said, 'Yaar Rohit, my mother likes your films.'"

* And a short piece from Tehelka on the Bol Bachchan promotions.

* Rediff counts down the biggest flops of the year. The rumoured off-screen romance of Shahid and Priyanka did not interest audiences enough to go watch them on the big screen.

Um... somehow I don't think that was the problem. It certainly didn't help that NOBODY CARED but it wasn't the issue...

* Once again, Bollywood Life buries the lead on the story... Prateik Babbar is moving to television.

* SRK to buy into a football team.

* British comedy fans will be interested to know that Karl Pilkington and Warwick Davis shot cameos in a Bhojpuri film as part of a television documentary called The Short Way Round.

* Open Magazine picks up Outsider in Bollywood with an interview with music director Mike McCleary.

* Randeep Hooda has done a cameo in Cocktail. Isn't this the kind of thing that usually goes to Zayed Khan?

* Ekta Kapoor's e-mail gets hacked by a spammer.

An insider reveal that Ekta came to know that her email was hacked when she started receiving phone calls from her friends. They said that they received email from her where they have been asked to pay Rs 11,000 if they wished to get audition for her shows. On hearing this, she was shocked.

Really, hacker? You hack Ekta Kapoor's e-mail and instead of snooping around and selling juicy bits to the Mumbai Mirror for us to devour, you pull some lame Nigerian scam? For shame!

* And the quote of the day goes to... SALMAN KHAN! Talking about Hollywood...

“All my friends who have gone to America, they don’t even want to come back for a holiday, wonder why. I am an actor, those guys were the ‘sensible’ ones, educated – engineers, doctors, scientists. These guys went there and made a lot of money, respect,” he said.

“Me, I am giving Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, all these guys a chance. Otherwise…poor guys,” the 46-year-old said here in a humourous way.

Sallu-bhai's speech...

Ritiesh and Tusshar in a rustic item for Super Kool - I'm tired of typing out the full title.

3 comments:

getfilmy said...

OMG, Sallu grilling the reporters in the beginning - EPIC.

And that stuff about everything in the USA being the "opposite" (light switch, driving, etc), SO true. My dad complains about it EVERY time he visits. :p

So curious what the reporter asked at 4:24ish.

thediva_1 said...

Salman BURNT SRK in this speech. Not only did he do the famous "My name is Khan" mockery, but best of all, did a total rehash of the Hollywood supremacist rant that SRK always does. They do everything right, they even look better! lol
<3 Go SALMAN!
another one of the many reasons I love him.

veracious said...

Ahaha, I love Salman sometimes. Okay, often times.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl