Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sunday Gossip post!

Good morning!!! I've got an odd collection of things today...

* Interesting... new taxes for actors.

Performing artists in folk or classical art forms of music, dance, or theatre have, however, been kept out of this levy and will not be subjected to service tax. "All other activities by an artist in other art forms such as western music or dance, modern theatres, performance of actors in films or television serials would be taxable," the government paper said.

* An unbeatable team... VIKRAM AND SHANKAR are teaming up again! (Does this mean I should re-watch Anniyan again? Yes. Yes, it does.)

* Uday Chopra to remake Bunty aur Babli in Hollywood.

* Sanju-baba playing a villain again? I hope so! This switch to negative roles could be the boost his career needs at the moment.

* Legal trouble for Bol Bachchan.

* I haven't been posting all the Fiji press that I find but it's cute how excited they are to have Bollywood films shooting in their country... even if one does star Neil Nitin Mukesh.

* Reminiscences on Chetan Anand.

For Dev and Goldie, more than an older brother, Chetan Anand was a second father. For me he was a history teacher who went on to make cinematic history after he failed to clear the civil services exams. Had that not happened, I’d have probably been groomed on Bollywood box office trash and joined the stream of tabloid gossip instead of appreciating Hindi cinema for classics like the rebellious Neecha Nagar, the patriotic Haqueeqat and the poetic Heer-Ranjha.

* Ugh. Yet another piece on how the new spate of South Indian remakes are regressive story telling. As if I needed more inspiration for my 100 Crore Club series...

Commercial Bollywood has never been known for originality. The swing from blindly copying Hollywood hits to rehashing South Indian blockbusters is understandable. Tamil and Telugu hits are trademarked by loud dialogues, raw action, suggestive dances, and lyrics laden with double meaning, and they hark back to Bollywood of the eighties.

I think the only regressive thing in the discussion is this reading of the 100 Crore Club.

* A look back at The Emergency and the film industry.

It’s surprising that in spite of such incidents the Emergency never disturbed or inspired our filmmakers enough to make films that questioned it. Even the parallel cinema that was born during these years fell woefully short of depicting the plight of ordinary men and women during the Emergency. In spite of its constraints popular cinema tried putting in a joke here about the Emergency. For example in Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s Naram Garam (1981) Om Prakash, the pandit, is told to hurry on account of some emergency and he haplessly comments, “Phir se?”

* Another industry kid makes a debut - Pramod Chakravorty's grandson Prateek.

Last year, pooling together all his savings, he finally decided to take the plunge into filmmaking. "I feel my MBA degree certainly helped," he says. "Making a film is essentially project management, which is what an MBA teaches you to be good at."

He calls From Sydney... a family comedy, or a 'fam-com'. Admitting that it is a 'safe' venture, he says he is aiming for acceptability. "This industry has a short memory. I'm hoping to remind them of what the banner [Pramod Films] once stood for," he says.

Prateek certainly seems more grounded than a lot of these guys... and considering he put up his own money I wish him the best of luck!

* D-Pad, can you please stop with the self-analysis in the press? Keep some mystery, woman!

She told TOI over the phone, “Emotionally I’m very similar to the screen character in Cocktail. I’m a sensitive and emotional person, but I’ll never show it. I put on this tough exterior… Or at least I think I do….”

The trade press are not your psychoanalyst. This type of interview shows the creeping influence of Hollywood "reality" at work. You can read this kind of thing from Hollywood starlets all the time... and it's lose-lose-lose from where I'm sitting. Either she's being genuine and exposing herself to millions (only to complain later that the media is too intrusive) or she's lying to make herself seem "real" and will get called out on it later for being fake.

And all because she wants us to think her character in some stupid rom-com is "realistic..."

* Krrish 4.

* And another firang beauty to be launched. This time it's Maasha, being launched by Akki. I keep hoping that one of these girls will be as dedicated and charming as Katrina but so far...

I do like Amy Jackson quite a bit but I think the brown-face act she did for her Bollywood debut kind of killed her chances in Mumbai. We'll see if she can keep up the momentum down South.

* Oh ho! Parineeti Chopra is not playing opposite Ranbir in Besharm anymore. The role has gone to the more conventionally model-looking Pallavi Sharda from Love Breakups Zindagi. I wonder what the story is here...

* Interview with Pakistani television actor Ahsan Khan.

Does he ever regret leaving Lollywood for the small screen? “I switched to television when I lost all hope of film revival,” recalls the actor who ventured into films in the earlier part of the last decade. “That proved to be the right step for me because my career was going nowhere when I was associated with Lollywood. Despite working with the best directors in the trade, I failed to achieve the goals I had set for myself, and that’s where the switch to TV came in and helped me figure things out.”

* Do you have Rs. 500 and a whole pile of gumption? Why not sign up for Mr. Ladsaheb's acting classes!

Some of the skills he teaches seem to exist only in the Indian entertainment lexicon. For models, he purports to offer lessons in "how to model a chunari, or scarf", "how to pose with a biscuit" and "hair oil modelling".

EEGA! I can't wait for this one...

4 comments:

getfilmy said...

The drama element in most of the recent blockbusters also brings back the regressive formula. "Agneepath celebrated the done-to-death formulae of ma ka pyaar, behen ki izzat and bete ka badla. Singham toasted the larger-than-life upright cop, and Bodyguard was all about coy, silent love. Housefull 2 and Ready carried on with the formula of gaudy slapstick while Rowdy Rathore gave eighties violence and schmaltz a technically updated spin."

From the 100 Cr Club article, if they'd just taken the words "regressive" and "done-to-death" out of the equation, I'd say that sentence is a good summation of everything I love about Bollywood films!

getfilmy said...

Oops, sorry that comment got messed up - entire first para is the quote, and I mean to say "that paragraph is a good summation". Oy ve.

Jess said...

"I keep hoping that one of these girls will be as dedicated and charming as Katrina but so far..."

For real...and at least make them audition or something. Screen tests might help them find one with at least a little bit of on screen presence.

Stuart Martin said...

It's nice to see some positive press about Fiji and desis. I'm very biased against the country for its repressive treatment of them that's seen them go from being 51% of the population at the time for the first coup in 1987 to about 34% now.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl