Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday Gossip!

Who has Olympic fever?! India! The WSJ looks at India at the Olympics.

Not all of India’s contributions to the Games are cheerful, however. “Bhopal – A Silent Picture” is an ongoing exhibition at the offices of Amnesty International that aims to draw attention to the Bhopal Gas Tragedy.

Well, then. Way to be a buzz kill, Amnesty International... with your concerns about "human rights" and "the dignity of human life." You're ruining the party! Real life cannot intrude on phallic mascots, Amitabh Bachchan, and puff pieces about how much Michael Phelps needs to eat everyday!


* The releases for this week...

There is Aamir Bashir's Harud.

First of all, Harud refuses us the luxurious otherness of a beauteous landscape in which we might comfortably immerse ourselves. Shot entirely in Srinagar, the film captures an everyday Kashmiri urbanity rarely seen on the Indian screen.

So, leave your brains at home? (Just kidding... I think this looks good, if very heavy.)

And... get ready to laugh... and the reviews of Kyaa Super Kool Hai Hum!

And as the makers rave about how the film is for people who can handle a generous dose of adult comedy, we think its main target audience is excited teenagers who simply pat themselves on their backs after deciphering the meaning of a double-meaning joke and celebrate adulthood far earlier than they are supposed to.

* I'm not sure what I think of this New York Times article about Aamir Khan as India's "TV conscience."

Some entertainment industry analysts trace the change to his relationship with Kiran Rao, an assistant director on “Lagaan” who became Mr. Khan’s second wife. Ms. Rao is known for eclectic interests and for making films that do not hew to the well-worn Bollywood formula.

Something just feels odd to me about crediting (blaming?) Kiran Rao for this.

They also have an interview with Aamir posted.

* Anupama Chopra talks to Imtiaz Ali, Karan Johar, and Homi Adajania.

Karan: It will be messy. There will be lies, there will be deceit. There will be lots of negative emotions that sometimes if you want to make it dark and deep then you should definitely go ahead and make it. But today you can’t pull off a love triangle that is like, ‘Oh I love you. I’m silent. I’m going to sacrifice and give you away at the wedding, at the altar’. It’s not going to work.

I’ve done it in “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.” It’s pretty much two love triangles actually- the Salman-Kajol-Shah Rukh in the second half and the Rani-Kajol-Shah Rukh in the first half.

And there’s death. I had to kill one to resolve one and I had to make Salman Khan give her away at the wedding for the other. Now I’m not sure that’s the situation that will replicate itself and make a convincing viewing today, I don’t think so.

* Shoma Chaudhury has a few issues with Cocktail.

Then, as if they haven’t reviled her enough, the filmmakers quite literally ram Veronica’s character over with a car. When she is resurrected from the hospital bed, the old Veronica is dead: in place is a new, presumably more socially acceptable, woman.

* The Vancouver Sun got the headline wrong. This should read: Douchebag Canadian Bro With Hideous Soul Patch Heads to Mumbai and Becomes Bollywood Photographer.

“Four months in, I [got] a cover shoot for GQ,” he says. “I said ‘Who is it?’ They said ‘Hrithik Roshan.’ I said ‘Great, super, Hrithik Roshan.’ So I told a friend I’m shooting this guy Hrithik Roshan and they’re like ‘Are you serious? He’s the top Bollywood star!’ I had to google him.”

* The Hindustan Times looks back on the Indian soldier in film.

By the 1990s the dark games played by bureaucrats and intelligence agencies provided more fodder than the patriotism of men in uniform. Bollywood doesn't like to ruffle feathers and prefers to keep things simple which is one of the reasons that it always stuck to popular perception while depicting history.

* First look of Midnight's Children.

* Anil Kapoor's Indian 24 is still happening.

* Saif to do a rom-com with Natalie Portman who is tied with Zooey Deschannel as my least favorite Hollywood rom-com heroine.

* Bebo will work until she's 90 and I will be the 92-year old in the audience watching her.

When asked if she fears that she will have to make place of other actress, Kareena said, "I haven't thought of it as yet. And obviously I wish and hope that. I think I will be like Zohra Sehgal who would be working till 90...so tough luck. I am not going to give my place to anyone."

(Also: Kareena to do a cameo in Dabangg 2!)

* Heroine poster controversy! Did they copy the poster from a Mariah Carey album cover? (Related: did anybody really except something original from Madhur Bhandarkar?)

* Arjun Rampal (who only recently learned how to act): kind of a douche.

I still wonder why (actresses get insecure), as they don't sit on edit table, or discuss budget, or are present in producer's meeting, or involved at scripting stage, they sit with hair and make-up done," Arjun said.

* Bollywood Life is left to ask the tough questions, as always. DID SAIF ALI KHAN PHONE ARJUN RAMPAL AFTER SEEING THE HEROINE PROMO?!!!!!!!!!!!!

So did he get any threatening calls from a certain somebody, he was asked? Obviously, ‘somebody’ would be Kareena’s fiance Saif Ali Khan. “Saif and I are like a band of bandits. We have respect for each other and he knows I am a gentleman, so no calls were made.’ was his sporting reply.

* The Times of India calls out Nargis Fakhri for being a big ol' phoney.

On Wednesday evening, Nargis and Uday Chopra were spotted together at a suburban theatre. The Rockstar actress did not seem to have any issues with the shutterbugs and posed happily for pictures...

On Thursday morning however, Nargis seemed to have changed her mind. She tweeted: I'm just wondering if paparazzi can cause an epileptic 2 have a seizure when they sneak up on people & start snapping pics.

If you'll allow me: R.O.F.L.!

* Launching Tiger Shroff feels like a food errand but Prakash Raj might get a paycheck out of it.

* Shahrukh and Kat for a Lux ad?

* Ranbir pleads guilty to smoking in public.

* Jiah Khan emerges from hiding!

"I go by scripts rather than genres. So far I've done drama, thriller and comedy, and I think it's a pretty good variation. If anything, I would like to attempt a classical love story or a period drama. I have been training in Kathak for the last 6 months and as my mother is from Lucknow I'd love to portray a character, which could exhibit not just the dancing skills, but also the adah that existed in the classical era."

The ball is in your court, Bollywood! I still don't understand why Jiah doesn't get more work. She's so talented!

* Happy New Year to start shooting in December and, honestly, the thought of this film just gives me a headache.

5 comments:

Bombay Talkies said...

Did you read the rest of that Bebo interview? Pinkvilla's got the whole thing--she basically says "yeah, men get paid more and have better roles and I don't think we should bother challenging that." I sort of expected more from her, to be honest.

eliza bennet said...

I don't anyone takes Bebo seriously when it comes to interviews.

Here is hoping that this is intentional marketing on Bebo's part.

Filmi Girl said...

@Eliza You read my mind! :D

Bebo knows what she's doing. I think we should watch her actions more than what comes out of her mouth. She's not interested in art or making political statements but she has a history of taking on characters who are capable and who have careers and who are (a lot of times) the actual protagonist of the film, or at least the person driving the plot.

But, of course, she would never say it like that for fear injuring male egos, who would then never want to work with her again. It serves her career to play the "I'm just a token babe" card. It's not admirable but... I don't think anybody is holding up Bebo as a role model for anything other than fashion advice. (And even that is questionable.) :P

Bombay Talkies said...

Fair points. But she's one of the few women in the industry who's in a place to be able to say something about the pay situation without it hurting her. I just thought she was pretty flippant about it.

Archee ologist said...

I have not read the interview, but I do not mind jumping right into the discussion. :)

Kareena Kapoor does have a strong position in the industry but is it because of her own stardom or is it because of the films she has done? All her major movies since Jab We Met (2007) have been either with the Khans or Devgan or Kumar. Compare this to a Rani Mukherjee or Vidya Balan or Aishwarya Rai (Rai's last film with a Khan was in 2002!) Surely, Kapoor knows better than to piss off the 100-crore league.

Regarding her selection of roles: remember the time when she was Poo in every film she did?

But wasnt she the one who was demanding equal pay a while back?? What happened??

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl