Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tuesday Gossip!

Greetings, dear friends! I know people were interested in that Rajini article I (poorly) translated from Japan and I thought people would be curious to hear that currently there is a 1 yen promotion for tickets going on for Ra.One. Apparently, they are trying to rely on word-of-mouth to spread it around.

I would suggest to Shirish Kunder that he think about sending Joker over... I'd be happy to meet him in Tokyo for a big premiere!! (I'll even pay my own way, Shirish! Come on, it will be fun!)


* Profile of Rajesh Khanna: The Loneliest Superstar over at Open.

Since the onset of his undisclosed illness, brought to popular notice by his weak frame in a recent TV commercial for Havells fans in which he announces that nobody can take his fans away from him (he can rest assured of that), wellwishers have wondered whether all is okay with the Lord of Aashirwad, that ocean-front shrine in Mumbai that has been his home.

* Today was Esha Deol's sangeet.

* Rajini's Kochadaiyyan won't release over Diwali after all...

* A look at spending by advertisers on reality TV.

While there are channels burning deep holes in their pockets to keep alive these star-studded shows, at the same time there are others who have a different modus operandi. For instance, Zee TV has been running music and dance based reality shows for years now and their motto seems to be very simple – low cost of production- high returns on investment. Shows with kids as participants have done wonders for them. The recent Dance India Dance Little Masters opened at 5.8 TVR this year whereas KBC season 5 opened at bit lower at 5.52 TVR last year.

* Speaking of, Aamir says a few things that I had been thinking about Satyamev Jayate:

In fact, in a large number of issues… what is required is a change in attitude. For example, all of us are surrounded by this patriarchal kind of thinking. Now politicians can hardly change that. The feeling that people have… of not wanting a girl child… that is a feeling. So we are looking to provoke people to look inward, rather than outward.

I really don't want to beat a dead horse with this topic, since I think we've all said what we want on it - which is why I haven't bothered to post my half-written thoughts on just the theme Aamir is talking about - but it seems to me that a lot of the fighting amongst fans and anti-fans of the show comes from the clash between that inward/outward divide. And even from Aamir himself (unwisely) crossing that inward/outward divide.

Related: In Delhi, Aamir travels with Shanno the lady taxi driver from the domestic violence episode of the show.

* Arjun Kapoor talks about being a movie star.

But his most overwhelming experience was at Karan Johar’s 40th birthday bash. It was his first party since he became a movie actor, though not his first as a filmi denizen. “I am industry child and everyone’s always been very supportive… But the nice part (being at the party) is that they could all hug me at Karan’s party and say I did a good job to my face. It was really overwhelming, also ‘coz the time I took to reach from the entrance to the dance floor was two and half hours, because I met everyone and ended up talking a lot. That is the kind of adulation an actor looks for in the industry.”

* Where Prateik Babbar sees "gangster," I see Lenny Kravitz. Didn't we collectively decide that Prateik is over? How are his tweets still 'news'?

* Meanwhile, Prateik's erstwhile girlfriend Amy Jackson's British interview gets ripped apart by the Hindustan times.

Amy said: “Foreign girls are not easily accepted… It is racism. It used to upset me but I’ve learnt to get on with it.”

Reality check: Now there’s racism in Indian films? And all this while we were fooling ourselves thinking that our filmmakers welcome “foreign girls” like Jacqueline Fernandez, Nargis Fakhri, Bruna Abdullah and Giselli Monteiro. And, Amy... didn’t you just say (in another interview) that “not only the film industry, but also the (Indian) people are more accepting today?” Or was that lost in translation?

To be fair to poor Amy, those girls who are claimed as "accepted" aren't exactly starring opposite big name heroes, if you know what I mean.

* And get ready for yet another half-Indian half-European bikini beauty who is (surprise) going to appear in Ayan Mukerji's Ranbir-Dippy movie that I now have even less interest in seeing.

* John Abraham joins Farah Khan's Happy New Year.

* I forgot Anjana Sukhani was in Maximum! Her character is apparently based on Urmilla Matondkar. Please let there be a shout-out to her Rangeela dance...

There are two things guaranteed to get my attention: Riya Sen and a video with this many dislikes. It's always fun seeing these long-delayed films getting released... sort of a visit from a time machine. Like, remember when Sharman Joshi did this kind of thing instead of "serious" acting?

3 comments:

maxqnz said...

I linked to your "Indian Oprah" piece today in response to another "Aamir's a phony" article at the-nri.com - it surprises me how well-travelled, weel-educate people can hold such views.

On a completely different note, thanks for the link to the Esha sangeet photos. I was surprised to see that even at such an event, with a who's who of Bollywood present, still no sign of Dharmendra or the boys. I like to think positively, but surely not turning up for your daughter or sister's sangeet is a noteworthy departure from the norm?

Robespierre said...

Ooo how exciting! I'm moving to Japan for a couple years and I was way bummed at the prospect of not getting to watch any Bollywood in theaters. Maybe I'll be able to after all?

Filmi Girl said...

@Robespierre I think Eega is going to be screened in Japan later this year, so keep your fingers crossed that more will be on the way!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl