Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thursday News Post!

Good morning, friends! I hope all is well!

I have three things to say.

1. I'm kind of over the Gangs of Wasseypur promotions. There's even a "Shit Wasseypuris Say" video up on youtube. Really? You have to push the film this hard? These pre-packaged "viral" videos are always so stupid.

2. I'm working on translating some of the Japanese coverage of Rajini's Enthiran. It's pretty interesting to see the cross-cultural references at work. I should hopefully have something to post tonight where a journalist talks to two mega-Rajini Japanese fans.

3. I refuse to pay to see Ferrari Ki Sawaari and have zero interest in the film. So, I'm not sure what I'll be reviewing for the weekend. Could dig into a big pile of DVDs I have maybe... watch something a bit older. Oh wait a minute... it looks like Jodi Breakers is up on youtube! Anybody interested in a new edition of Box Office Poison?

ETA: 3b. If you're in Chicago, New York, or New Jersey - you can see Patang!! Definitely your best bet. I really enjoyed this one.

Are you in Shanghai? The Shanghai International Film Festival is getting three Indian films - Ek Main aur Ekk Tu, Dhobi Ghat, and the poorly reviewed shoddily put together Bollywood: The Greatest Love Story Ever Told. Are people in Shanghai going to care about any of these?

And are you in Vancouver? You can pay to see Sharmila Tagore and have cocktails with her.

Last item above the cut - I was properly chastised for skipping this item yesterday. Ghazal legend Mehdi Hassan has passed away.


* Let's start out with Anuvab Pal on receiving a letter from one Mr. Mimoh Chakraborty and what happened next.

I thought Twitter would be a good place to check. I looked up Mimoh Chakraborty. It said he was watching The Descendants.  Understandably, I was in no position to ask him anything. Where would I begin?

* Expectations for Ferrari Ki Sawaari are modest.

* Feature on Billa 2.

Billa 2', unlike 'Don 2', is a prequel to the first film. It shows how David Billa, a refugee from the neighboring island country of Sri Lanka gets transformed into Billa, the dreaded underworld don. Ajith looks smashing as usual in 'Billa 2'. To spice things up is a host of ladies, including former Miss India World Parvathy Omanakuttan.

* This is what I think is so odd about the "Imported Kamariya" song. Can we really call it a parody if Scarlett is now touring around doing stage shows and functions?

* Abhay Deol and Genelia D'Souza's Rock the Shaadi is still on.

* Akshay Kumar likes Sonakshi's figure. (ME, TOO, AKSHAY!)

"Sonakshi is a wonderful actress who has her own style of acting. She has an absolutely different figure - a typical, Indian figure and not size zero. Khaate peete gharane ki lagti hain. I am a pure Punjabi. I like heroines who are hari bhari. Chusa hua aam na lagey," he reveals, asking us how we are going to translate 'chusa hua aam' into English. "Will it be sucked out mangoes?" he questioned us with a giggle.

Also: This just in. Akshay is adorbs.

* Read an interview with Ms. Farah Khan!

How did Happy New Year happen?

It's destiny I guess. I had written the film for him. It was a very organic thing. I didn't patch up with Shah Rukh because I wanted to do a film with him. Our relationship is not professional. Its not about "oh if we work together we'll be friends." It's beyond that.

* And a three-fer from the ToI: Emraan Hashmi.

Yet, when other actors win sweepstakes at the B-O, he feels a sting of jealousy, doesn't he? "Yes, I do,'' he says. Adding, "I think it's not just important for you to succeed, but it's important for others to fail too. It sounds shocking, but most of us in the industry think this way, but don't speak our minds. When someone fails, you think you are ruling. That's how every profession works, doesn't it?"

* Shriya Saran is doing an item in Zilla Ghaziabad. I like Shirya well enough but I don't recall her as an amazing dancer...

* Murli Sharma is such a great actor. I'd love to read an article on him with that's not stupid. The important point here is he's in an upcoming film called Zindagi 50-50.

Oh, Ritiesh... you're so much better than this. And what's with the Austin Powers theme? Also, why have I stumbled across not one but TWO references to Austin Powers in my news search today? What is up with that?

Sukhwinder Singh singing one of those songs that plays while people strut around in slo-mo and shoot guns. I wasn't going to post this but... it's Sukhwinder Singh. I miss him.

3 comments:

Goldilocksprime said...

You should take a look at her dancing in Chatrapathi. The storyline isn't much, as far as the heroine role (more ass kicking than emoting)but both she and Prabhas look like they're having a blast when dancing.

ANd i don't know how much you've seen her in but also try Mallanna. She pretty much steals the show from Vikram

Filmi Girl said...

@Goldilocksprime :) I've seen both those, actually... heh. I mostly just remember Mumaith's item from Chatrapathi. And she annoyed me so much in Mallanna!!! The dances I remember from that are Vikram as pizza boy and Vikram in drag. Plus Mumaith's BLAZING hot item. LOL! I should give it a rewatch, actually. Maybe I'll like her better.

Goldilocksprime said...

I love Mumaith Khan and look forward to her bits in any movie although her item in Mallanna seemed kind of strange to me -- sordid rather than sexy. And I keep waiting for someone to give her an actual role. Maybe someone has and I just haven't found it yet.

I found Shreya's Mallanna character annoying rather than her acting, particularly in the first half, and I assumed it was supposed to be that way. All of Mallanna was more or less over the top to me but it's just too easy to like a movie with a rooster as a superhero.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl