Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thursday Gossip!

First some serious and very sad news: I know we've all kind of been waiting for the other shoe to drop with Rajesh Khanna. His condition is deteriorating.

The other above-the-cut news is that Sunidhi Chauhan will be performing in Auckland on the 23rd. She puts on a good show so it's worth checking out for sure.


* AAMIR KHAN IN CHICAGO FOR DHOOM 3!!!

* Sad news for me: Billa 2 has been pushed back at least a week but possibly longer because of a clash with the Censor Board. Which means I'll be seeing Karthik's Saguni this weekend.

* Rohit Shetty on filmmaking.

"I got a script from one of my writers and I thought that it would be a nice sequel to ‘Golmaal'. We shot it in 68 days. There were no hassles, it got released during Diwali and was one of the biggest grossers again. But things changed for me after ‘Golmaal Returns'. We saw ‘Golmaal Returns' and thought God has blessed us because it's a horrendous film. It didn't have emotions, we were making fun of ‘Tashan' and ‘Saawariya' and there were four girls (heroines) and doing all kinds of kiddish stuff, and people liked it. But I told myself that I would not make a film like that again. I told myself that people have loved you and they have saved you, but be careful. Our writing changed after that film."

And, indeed, though G2 is funny, Golmaal 3 is the better film.

* This is a bit rich coming from the man who made the poorly reviewed collection of stereotypical film clips.

"We were never Bollywood. We have lost our identity. We are the Hindi film industry and I have a lot of pride in that because great masters here have made great movies. "It always angers me when I am called 'Bollywood'." Says Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, maker of Bollywood: The Greatest Love Story Ever Told. Apparently the title is "ironic."

* Oh, Bollywood Life... stay trashy and judgemental. The leader for this article on how Gurinder Chadha is making a film on Partition with Naseer and might ask Saif Ali Khan to be in it emphasizes something completely irrelevant:

She’ll soon begin filming a movie on India’s partition, to be shot in Delhi and Jodhpur, and is keen to rope in Bollywood star Saif Ali Khan as Jawaharlal Nehru in it. Chadha, who has lost 25 kg, has already spoken to Naseeruddin Shah to play Muhammad Ali Jinnah in the film — and he’s game.

Emphasis not added by me.

Buried in the article is the part where the "central figure" of the film is going to be a white guy like "Colin Firth or Michael Fassbender." Because sadly, it's so much easier to sell a film globally with a white guy at the center.

* Kangana and Madhuri will have a dance number in Dedh Ishqiya.

* Katrina says no more item numbers.

* Sonakshi Sinha: class act. Asked to respond to Bebo's tone-deaf quote about fat not being sexy:

“I don’t believe in things what I read. She hasn’t said anything like this to me. Personally I like Kareena. She is a wonderful women and always will be."

And an a fun interview with Shotgun Junior.

Akshay's rowdy act has certainly worked, but between the two of you, who's rowdier in real life?

I think he's rowdier than me, in fact, he treated me like a boy-buddy on the sets. He punched me and pushed me around. All the lady-like charm went down the drain when the cameras were off. I became one of the guys. I was even called 'bhaisaab'!

Okay, I love when I get treated like this by guys. It's so much fun to be part of the gang! (Just like Bebo in Golmaal 3!) How much fun does the Rowdy Rathore set sound?! (To be fair, we also know that if our Khiladi tried anything with Shotgun Junior, Shotgun Senior would have his hide.)

* Connections don't help in Bollywood, says Prem Chopra's son-in-law.

* PREM CHOPRA! Images from a party he threw for his son-in-law.

* Ranveer Singh is excited to work with Bebo. To be fair, who wouldn't be?

When asked about romancing a senior actress, the actor was unperturbed about the gap between him and Bebo.”Kareena doesn’t look anywhere the age that she is. She looks much younger than many young girls around. So that thought hasn’t even crossed my mind. I’m just looking forward to having great time working with her,” he added.

Nice job with the got'cha question, Ranveer!

And clearly we have here the most important story of the day - Neil Nitin Mukesh clinging to fame almost as hard as Ameesha Patel.

And from the bastion of politically correct entertainment that is South Korea, enjoy idol group 4minute's parody version of a Bollywood video.

7 comments:

maxqnz said...

"Emphasis not added by me." that was simultaneously sad and stupefying. I mean, including it in the first place was an insulting non sequitur, but bolding it? That is quite literally something I cannot beging to grasp. What sort of person thinks such thing is not only relevant, but of special noteworthy importance?

OG said...

Hey FG,

Saguni looks like it is full on comedy...... and Karthi is good at thet genre! Does the release have subs in your area?

and FG, have you seen Karthi's film Paiya? I think it is a film which you will like!

Moimeme said...

@FG: Regarding the substance of that story on Gurinder Chaddha, I don't think it's a case of "a white guy in a central role helps to sell the movie." Even from the historical point of view, the partition of India was pretty much orchestrated by Lord Mountbatten, who was serving as the Viceroy to India. He was very much a pivotal player in the whole episode, so it makes perfect sense to get someone like Colin Firth to play that role. And, we should not forget that Gurinder is a British filmmaker. It's not surprising if her film focuses on the British point of view, and, even if it doesn't, I would find it refreshing and interesting to have a film on the Indian partition that focuses on the political machinations that led up to it, rather than on the human tragedy only. Certainly it makes more sense to have a famous British actor in a story about partition, than to have a famous American (white) actor forced into a film about Gandhi (Martin Sheen in Richard Attenborough's film that was, incidentally, funded by the Indian government), not to mention having a British actor play the central role.

Filmi Girl said...

@maxqnz I know! I mean, okay - maybe that's an appropriate caption to a red carpet photo or something but totally unnecessary here.

@OG Oh, great!! I'm not sure - usually the digital projections do have subtitles. I might try to call ahead. I haven't seen Paiya! I do like comedy, though. :D

@Moimeme Ah... but, see, I think you could do a movie that follows the political machinations and not have it be about a white guy. White actors would certainly be necessary and it's always nice to see Firth and Fassbender on screen but it just feels off to me somehow. Like: here is a film about Indian history by a British-Indian director and it stars... Colin Firth as a great man doing great things to people.

Couldn't there be a film from an Indian character's perspective watching the events unfold out of his/her control? A metaphor of sorts for the population in general... it wouldn't need to be a two-hankie weepie about evil white guys.

Just my two cents. :)

I'll be interested to see the final product regardless. I like Gurinder Chaddha.

Moimeme said...

@FG But I think there have been plenty of films about people helplessly watching events spiral out of control. I think it would be interesting to have a film focus on how it all came about at the political level. Of course, at this point it's all my fantasy. :) The final film could be nothing like this.

If there's going to be a film about the Indian point of view, it should be made by Indians. But unfortunately it won't be, because, more than anything else, the Congress party and the Sonia Gandhi family won't allow any treatment of Nehru on film that's anything but 100% laudatory. I don't know if you know about an earlier proposed film about Lady Mountbatten, which also included Nehru and would have dealt with their affair, which is pretty well acknowledged by everyone. In fact, there is (or was) a major debate among Indian historical circles about Nehru being "distracted" by his affair with Lady Mountbatten and thus not negotiating aggressively enough on India's behalf at the time of Independence. Some people (not necessarily historians) even speculate that it might have been a deliberate ploy on Mountbatten's behalf to "distract" Nehru in this way. So you see this is a very important and interesting story to be told on film. But it was squashed before it ever began by Sonia Gandhi, despite the fact it was all about people who were long dead, and thus could not be libeled in a legal sense. Looking at the fate of many other politically oriented films produced in India, I won't hold my breath for anything meaningful coming out soon. So I'd rather have Gurinder's version, whatever it is, than nothing. But I would definitely expect it to be told from a British POV.

Moimeme said...

@FG -- Sorry, I forgot to say the main thing. How can you have a film about the political machinations and *not* have it be about the white guy, when the white guy was the one in charge? I don't understand this. It certainly makes a lot more sense than have a film about Steve Biko (South Africa) be about a white guy.

Filmi Girl said...

@moimeme I was thinking you could have the film be about the white guy and the machinations but have the main characters be Indian. Like the white guy and his machinations would be in the story but he wouldn't be the main character. Kind of like how Urumi was about Vasco da Gamma but he wasn't the main character.

But we can agree that Gurinder's version will be worth watching regardless. :D

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl