Saturday, June 30, 2012

On writing for money...

Friends! Sorry for no gossip this morning. We had a terrible storm here last night (15 people died in the area!) and were without Internet and phone service for most of the day. I had some time to think and let me be straight with you, dear friends about some things. Due to the nature of my employment I am unable to accept any kind of monetary payment for writing. The benefit of which it that you can trust that nothing I write is motivated by cash and I generally pay to see every film that I review. No freebies here, folks, just opinions!

Now, I recently had an offer to write some flashy columns for a - shall we say - well known Bollywood site. I won’t name names because I’m classy like that. I gave it some very serious thought and almost (almost) signed on but decided against it for a few reasons. Though it would have been great to get a broader platform for my writing, the fact that I wouldn’t own my own words anymore after publication left a bitter taste in my mouth. My words are all I get out of this. And though I was very tempted by the chance to throw a few stink bombs into the greater Bollywood conversation, in the end, my inner adult spoke up and reminded me that I really don’t have the time or energy to write diatribes on how much Neil Nitin Mukesh sucks monkey balls... for somebody else’s profit. I don’t care about money but I also don’t not care about the effects of money, you know?

But one thing that the offer did spur me on to do was think up column ideas and guess what? I have a lot of opinions about things. So, because you guys are so great I thought I would go ahead and write up a few things anyways. For YOU only. And, hey, if people google “Neil Nitin Mukesh sucks monkey balls” and they end up here - I’m not going to complain.

The other day I was listening to NPR (a sentence starter that one hears far too often around my house) and caught Joan Rivers talking with Terry Gross on Fresh Air. Joan, a living legend, had some advice for people trying to make it in show business - take every job because you don’t know what might be your big break. That was in the back of my mind as I mulled over this offer but, in the end, I’m not a struggling writer trying to make it. I’m content to sit back and do things on my own terms at my own pace.

Besides, Shobhaa Dé already exists. There don’t need to be two stink bomb throwing lady columnists around.

I'm working on a mini-project on the 100 crore club at the moment, so you'll have that to look forward to!

7 comments:

Stuart Martin said...

Does your paid work involve writing? It seems odd that a blanket ban on writing for money, regardless of topic, would be a condition of your employment. The upsides are obvious for your readers, but it's a bit harsh that you can't enjoy more tangible rewards from something you do so well.

Filmi Girl said...

Technically I could get paid for writing a book but not for articles or for giving speeches. I'm a librarian but more than that, I cannot say. :)

Archee ologist said...

If you took that job, you could still write this blog, couldnt you?

Archee ologist said...

If you took that job, you could still have written for this blog, couldnt you?
Just curious.

getfilmy said...

Gah! I am SO curious about who this devil is that wanted to employ you!!

Anyway, since you're already employed and doing well, there's totally no reason to compromise your freedom by writing for money. I'm sure you'll be writing books someday soon anyway ;)

Filmi Girl said...

@Archee Oh, sure! But I wouldn't have as much time to write what I want... I'm pretty busy and this would have taken a lot of time and for what benefit? More attention? I'd rather just write what I want here.

@Getfilmy ;) You know them well...

Chrism929 said...

Good for you! I've been in pretty much the same situation most of my life and totally understand the joy of being my own publisher. Blogging has made things very different for writers and (traditional attitudes about "professionalism" finally going out the door) if we're lucky enough not to HAVE to sell our stuff to go on doing it, some of us are much better off writing independently. As for having a wider platform with another publishing platform (one that, further, owns your work), that's just numbers; you already have a quality readership that "gets" you and I doubt that any Bollywood publication would give you more.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl