Monday, June 25, 2012

Monday Gossip!

So, my friends, we start another week... what will it bring us?

It will bring you, at least, my Saguni review. I'm sorry I didn't have it up yesterday but we had a belated Father's Day BBQ for my papa and I spent the day eating too much and catching up with my family. And it was such a nice day, no? They let me be in charge of grilling the corn and the sweet potatoes... and I didn't do too badly!

Okay! Let's see what the Internet has churned up for us today...


* Neither Teri Meri Kahaani nor Gangs of Wasseypur seem set to join the 100 crore club. Anecdotally, there were A LOT more people in my local theater for Saguni then there were for TMK.

* Gangs of Wasseypur has been facing (what seems to me) like a backlash from at least one camp of film fanboys. Success and attention do change people and I can't help but feel that the Anurag Kashyap who made No Smoking to a critical drubbing is the one I prefer. I'm not so fond of the Anurag Kashyap who gets piles of praise in the press and then says things like this:

"People say that we do not make enough good movies. But, I want to ask, who endorses such cinema when they do get made? Audience do not understand the pains we filmmakers take to bring a good story to screen but it is very easy to complain," Anurag said.

Sigh. Because blaming the audience is the best way to make sure we do go see your films. Later, he also pulls out the old "in the West, they love these real films" when, no, in fact the audience for Big Momma's House 5 will always be bigger than for the latest "gritty" drama.

* This is a twitter story but since it keeps getting picked up by various media, here it is. Shahrukh Khan plays us a tune we've heard before: Oh, I just got lucky.

"Twenty uninterrupted years of serving. Not enough talent or looks or game plan. Thank you all. I guess I got lucky, lucky to be working all the time."

You KNOW he doesn't believe this.

* My Akshay gives one of his patented blunt interviews.

You have avoided falling into campism in this industry...


That’s because, I don’t need any camp! …I have a house to live in, very comfortably too, why would I seek camps elsewhere? (Laughs).

* Put some faces to the names of some of the women writers in Bollywood today!

* And then read an interview with a women music director - Sneha Khanwalkar.

After Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!, mainstream [Bollywood] was only offering me Punjabi-centric soundtracks. I made a conscious effort to first work with directors whose work I’m already interested in, and to understand if I would fit there. [I thought] let’s do the tougher things first. I wasn’t in a hurry to sign a lot of films and I don’t have too many liabilities. I also wanted to travel a bit. After I went to Punjab and Harayana [for Oye Lucky!] I realised I didn’t know shit about India. All my experiences were just assumptions based on what I’d heard from other people. I really hated that.

* Wait, what? New biography on Aamir Khan has been released. Looks to be a fairly uncontroversial take and will probably be available in America soon enough.

And Just an FYI - for those who were interested in Dongri to Dubai: Six Decades of the Mumbai Mafia, there are a couple copies on Amazon and check out Mafia Queens of Mumbai (if you share my obsession with lady gangsters.)

* Is Saahil Prem now Shahrukh Khan's new protege?

If sources are to be believed, SRK saw a few glimpses of the film, said to be India’s first ever dance flick, and decided to lend his support to the newcomer and also produce the film under his banner, Red Chillies.

After a google image search, all I can say is that he needs a haircut.

* Pito clarifies what happened with the promotions of Shanghai.

When asked what exactly had happened, he said, “I was at home and few of the reporters called me and asked why I wasn’t there for the music launch. I guess they must have thought that I had few differences with the director and they will get a story out of it. It wasn't like that as I wasn't even aware of the music launch. But yah, that’s how I came to know about the music launch. I was never invited, neither I was ever informed about it.”

1 comment:

Mo Pitz said...

Read the article on women screenwriters and I am very disappointed in Urmi Juvekar: On being asked whether writers are given due credit in Bollywood, Urmi poses, “As long as we are getting paid, there shouldn’t be any issue. Anyway, do you care to know who the editor or the cinematographer of the film is? Nahi na? Then why bother with credit for writers only?”

If we keep hearing "Script is king! Script is king!" but not crediting writers, what's the point? Don't buy into it, Urmi! Get your credit!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl