Monday, June 18, 2012

Monday Gossip Post!

Sorry for missing a news post yesterday. I may or may not have still been sleeping off the effects of Saturday night. Hee hee!

Okay! Let's do it to it!

* Ferrari Ki Sawaari does okay at the multiplexes this weekend or it did crappy and was beaten by Rowdy Rathore depending on who you ask.

* Is 2012 the year of small budget films? Some say yes but others...

Trade Analyst Amod Mehra summed it up, saying: "This year, some films have done exceptionally well and some have not, but so far the collections at the box office have been satisfactory."

Then came a rider: "No big films like a Salman Khan or a Shah Rukh Khan or an Aamir Khan film has released yet. The real picture is yet to come in the second half of the year."

O RLY? We're waiting for the Khans? Because I have a one-two roundhouse kick from the Khiladi right here, buddy!

* I thought the way this story was framed was interesting.

Sonu [Sood] says an increasing crime rate has influenced filmmakers to use real life incidents in scripts. “People are running short of subjects. They don’t have thousands of ideas, so they hunt for topics that happen around us,” says Sonu.

I've never heard anybody describe those 'realistic' films as coming from a lack of creativity before.

* Speaking of reality, I never thought that was Nikhil Advani's strong point but he's joining the bandwagon with a film on Dawood Ibrahim.

Initial plans were to cast Arshad Warsi as Dawood Ibrahim in the film but this idea was dropped because of the actor’s blithe image. Nikhil apparently fears viewers will shout, ‘Oye, Circuit’ while watching Arshad play Dawood! 

Instead, the media will just be shouting: Oye! Chandni Chowk to China!

* And another dose of realism from the guy who brought you the painfully dull Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal.

I have resigned from Bollywood, now I can make the films I want to,” says director Vivek Agnihotri.

And what films are those?

He adds that, after Hate Story, producers have been calling in large numbers but he is only interested in social commentaries about “a morally corrupt society living in quiet desperation”.

Ha ha ha! I imagine Vivek dressed in black and having his mother deliver his meals to his room. "I'm making serious films here, mother. I don't have time to go greet auntie."

* Here is the clueless celebrity interview of the day. Our sour grapes hero today is Shahid Kapoor who, at a press conference for Teri Meri Kahaani said:

Films like Dabangg, Bodyguard and The Dirty Picture have grossed more than 100 crores, which has become a milestone now for other films to cross. "They are all massy films which are very basic in their understanding and high on entertainment. But if we run only to achieve those figures then we will restrict ourselves as actors.

Because Teri Meri Kahaani is the epitome of meaningful cinema? (Excuse me while I laugh forever about this.) Oh, Sasha... we know it's just sour grapes. If you had membership to the 100 crore club, I know you'd be singing a different tune.

* And swiftly becoming one of my favorite interviewees... Nawazuddin Siddiqui.

"Earlier, people took me for one scene or so but now filmmakers have started taking me more seriously. Also, my responsibility towards my audience has increased. I have to now live up to the expectations and not take up films for the greed of money," Nawazuddin said.

* Kalki Koechlin is another smart cookie.

[U]nfortunately, a lot of things like that have happened in India. The outlet is outside, the recognition is outside, and then it comes back to India. Then we start believing in the value of something. Even our own... everything is made in India, sold in Monsoon in London, brought back with double tax, and then we buy it. It's actually made in Lokhandwala (in Mumbai), and we can buy it for 100 bucks, but we want to buy it at 2,000 bucks because it's validated by being bahar ka.

* The FULL trailer for Ek Tha Tiger will be out at the end of the month.

* Also, Sher Khan to be more expensive than Ra.One? I have to say... I loved Veer so much that if Salman and Sohail want to throw piles of money at another dream project, I'm going to be the first person in line at the theater to watch it. (Especially with Salim helping the boys out with scripting.)

* The bigger question here is why is Uday Chopra back slinking around Bombay perving on young starlets instead of off in LA "running" Yash Raj America? Does this mean Dhoom 3 is well and truly started?

* Slideshow of images from the first episode of Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa season 5.

* Apparently Student of the Retirement Home Year is slowing coming along. Farah Khan is currently shooting the choreography.

* It's nice to see Balki supporting his wife. Gauri Shinde is directing English Vinglish.

Director R Balki, who is producing his wife Gauri Shinde’s directorial debut, English Vinglish, has taken on an interesting role on the sets of the film. “I just serve her coffee and tea,” he says, jokingly, before adding, “And I get free publicity.”

* Sonakshi to do an item in Akshay's Oh My God.

* I would be pleased to see Amala Paul enter Bollywood. She's a real pistol!

* Ameesha Patel: Clinging to stardom with all her might.

The making of Rowdy Rathore!

I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet so let me know how it is!

No comments:

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl