Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wednesday Gossip!

Sorry for the mini-meltdown yesterday, guys!! I was having a really bad day and... that resulted. The dangers of daily blogging, I suppose... I'm feeling much better today. (And I'm still right that the song was bullshit but let's just leave it - I've wasted too much energy on that crap song. If Hollywood wants to be dumb, they can do it without help from me.)

Now, we're back to our regularly scheduled programming! Although you'll forgive me if I didn't have time to link to the epic story of somebody actually hiring Koena Mitra to launch their new plastic surgery clinic. The headline is enough, I think.

Okay! Let's hit it!

* Anurag Kashyap's Gangs of Wasseypur to hit the London Indian Film Festival in June.

* It was inevitable - Meenakshi Thapur's death inspires a film.

“This incident has brought into focus the whole get-rich-quick generation that has taken over Mumbai. Every migrant in Mumbai wants to own a car in the first six months of his stay in Mumbai. In two years he wants to own flat. Shortcuts have become a way of life in the metropolis,” added [director Prawaal Raman].

* Rajesh Khanna is going to star in a new ad campaign.

In the ad, he goes down memory lane, remembering how his fans used to follow him everywhere when he was a superstar. Balki, also the chairman and chief creative officer of Lowe Lintas, said Rajesh Khanna was an apt choice as he still commands a lot of respect.

* I bet all those actors who show up at the opening of an envelope are jealous that Aamir gets as much press for maybe agreeing to show up at an awards ceremony for half an hour as they do for spending hours hosting the events.

And enjoy a cute slideshow of Salman Khan and Rani Mukherjee outclassing some Z-listers while playing cricket for Aamir's son's charity cricket match. And I have to say that Junaid seems like a really good kid with a good head on his shoulders - as expected from Aamir's son. Here is a nice interview with him from a couple months ago. * Poonam Pandey (big surprise) was exaggerating news of her debut.

* Does Rakhi Sawant completely understand the appeal of the original Dirty Picture?

“Vidya Balan hasn’t done anything in The Dirty Picture. I will do better and hotter scenes in the Bengali remake. “I am pretty excited to do bold scenes, bed scenes and the movie will also have long smooches ever. Main sabse zyaada kam kapde pehenungi,” added Rakhi.

Actually... yes, but she's missing the part where it got mainstream acceptance because of the parts where the "bold scenes" were covered in moralizing...

* Cherry wraps the first schedule of Zanjeer.

* Fun article about a French academic who went to India and became a professional dancer.

He admits that he occasionally encounters workshop audiences slightly surprised that he is, in fact, a Frenchman, a cultural anthropologist who has adopted his subject as his own culture. But he likens his synthesis into Indian dance to a traveling painter: “When he travels or lives somewhere else, his painting will change. My body has learned how to move in India.”

* Some updates on the Tere Bin Laden sequel. Ali Zafar will be making a cameo! No word on the reanimated corpse of Bin Laden...

* "Ehhh~" Ranjeet to hit (on) our screens in Shootout at Wadala.

* It's Chitrangda Singh opposite Amitabh and Rishi in Mehrunissa. Not a bad choice... not a bad choice at all. If I remember correctly, they are getting younger actors to play opposite her in the "youth" scenes and then she will "age up" in the scenes with Amit and Rishi.

* Karan Johar signs another young talent to direct a film called Gippy about a fourteen year old girl. I'm curious!

* Punjabi rapper Yo! Yo! Honey Singh makes bank.

* Somebody give the model a cookie - Nargis can speak Hindi now. Big fucking deal.

* And, again, to emphasize a point: the New York Times does a better job with their India coverage than the Wall Street Journal - a neat piece on Penn Masala.

If you didn't check the comments from... I think it was Monday's post, The Mafia Kat posted a great list of song recommendations from other college singing groups.

This cracked me up - Anil Kapoor, Tusshar Kapoor, and Sonu Sood at the gym. Why have Sonu at the gym with his shirt on, though, is kind of beyond me.

Song promo from the extended shampoo commercial that is Teri Meri Kahaani... this movie looks so boring, I can't even.

6 comments:

the mafia kat said...

I'm a little anxious about The Dirty Picture remake. I just know it probably won't appeal to Bengalis no matter how many hot scenes you add.. Well, I'm speaking as a Bengali-American whose parents and relatives detest raunchy scenes in movies.

the mafia kat said...

Argh, I just read the story about the Frenchman. "Chuyen began his Indian dance education modestly, first studying forms like Kathak, Bharata Natyam and Chhau Mayurbhani."

What does that mean? There is nothing "modest" or easy about Indian classical dance. That's what irks me so much about its portrayal. It takes decades to develop as an accomplished classical dancer -- and none of that gross, Bollywood-ized versions you see on Dance India Dance. There is such an awful tendency for people to call these sexed-up, hip-shaking interpretations as "classical." Urghals;kdjfaslkjfd

/ end rant

Also, India Ink by NYT is great. It fills the hole Sepia Mutiny left when it closed.

Filmi Girl said...

I'm with you on worrying about the Dirty Picture remake with Rakhi. It seems like they don't understand the message the film had at all... casting Rakhi Sawant proves that. :P

And, yes, I'm quite enjoying the coverage from the NYT. A good mix of interviews and other pieces! Now if only they would stop letting Rachel Saltz "review" Bollywood films... ;)

Re: Classical dance, I think it takes training not only to dance but also to appreciate the dance, you know? I think many people writing about it probably have no idea how to describe classical dancing or even what it looks like. I know I am certainly not qualified to talk about it, so I generally just tweet the links at my classic dancer friend and let her decide. ;)

thediva_1 said...

Hope you're feeling better now!

But btw, I loved all your posts about the Smash incident. Loved that you said everything that came to your mind, with no inhibitions.

I adore all your posts on the Bwood-Hwood topic :)

Bombay Talkies said...

Good for the NYTimes...they're only about fifteen years late to the party re: Penn Masala.

Bombay Talkies said...

Mafia Kat--the term "starting modestly" means "to start slowly." It doesn't mean that the dance forms are modest. It means that he began small.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl