Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thursday Gossip!

First of all, I think people misunderstood that Firstpost article from yesterday... my understanding wasn't that the author thought Bollywood was stupid but that she was pointing out how Westerners (especially) see most Indian films through the "Bollywood is sooooo campy" filter. Anyways. It doesn't matter today.

If you are in Australia, you can watch Anil Kapoor in a documentary on slavery in India.

And if you are in Mumbai, don't forget to check out Kashish Film Festival for films about community that is too often cruelly stereotyped and marginalized.

Last thing before the news - this isn't a film but I have a feeling other people would be interested, too. I know there are some mafia buffs out there (myself included). The title: "Dongri to Dubai: Six Decades of the Mumbai Mafia" by S. Hussain Zaidi. Unfortunately Flipkart doesn't ship overseas, as far as I know, but maybe we can all find some copies on eBay or something.

* Rani Mukherji to play boxer Mary Kom? (Um... yes, please!)

* Some memories of a different time in Bollywood from Dalip Tahil.

The interesting thing here is not how I was cast in the film or how Aamir was making his debut in a love story – it is how the film was stuck at the distribution level. Nasir Saheb had three shows a day for distributors at Ketnav in Bandra, Mumbai for a month. Whoever saw the film absolutely loved it, but no one bought it. The lead actor, Aamir was new, Juhi Chawla was one film old (Sultanat with Karan Kapoor) and the director, Mansoor, was new. In those days, the reaction was predictable. “Ladka naya hai, music director Anand-Milind naye hai, director naya hai – kaise chalegi picture.” In fact when we were shooting in Mount Abu, I was the only one signing autographs! I was the star on the sets of QSQT!

* Cocktail doesn't seem bad... just tired. How long is Saif going to pull this Hum Tum act? If a 30ish scoundrel can be rogueishly attractive, a 40ish one just kind of looks like a douche. (Am I right or what?)

"In a way to have Saif and Deepika was a safe bet. Deepika has grown as an actor and Saif is amazing in this genre. The film is for people aged between 12 and 50. It is about friendship, love, romance and has something for all kinds of audience. It is a love story," said producer Dinesh Vijan.

He should check with the producers of Aarakshan about that "safe bet" business. Also, apparently, people over 50 aren't allowed in the theater.

* This is classic Akshay interview material right here.

Ask Akki how he is managing to multitask on the half-a-dozen films he has already signed, and he laughs saying, “First of all, I take my mother’s blessings every morning. And secondly, you can’t imagine how annoyed I get when I don’t have any work to do.”

(He's also timing his new and improved Nargis-free Khiladi 786 to avoid Son of Sardar and Raj/Rahul in London.)

* There was some other cutesy point to this story but all I got out of it was that Kalki Koechlin is paired opposite Aditya Roy Kapur in Ranbir-Dippy starrer Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani. I thought we had gotten rid of that guy. I guess if Aftab Shivdasani and Zayed Khan can keep turning up like bad pennies, so can Aditya.

* The very excellent Urumi is getting a Tamil release.

* Ishkq in Paris on September 21st.

* Bol Bachchan sounds more and more like the first Abhishek movie I'll like since, well, Dostana.

Elaborating further on the characters, Rohit says that Ajay's pehelwan speaks incorrect English very proudly, while Abhishek plays a raw, earthy guy. He has many shades to his character, including an emotional angle. While you laugh at his antics - he lies a lot to get out of tricky situations - you also end up sympathizing with him.

* Religious tensions over the depictions of Buddhism in Ajintha.

Trailer for From Mohammed to Maya about the transgender journey. I want to give Maya a hug - this seems like an intense film.

And the Eega songs are up on youtube!

6 comments:

eliza bennet said...

"Rohit says that Ajay's pehelwan speaks incorrect English very proudly"
If it is anything like Anil Kapoor in Tashan then at least I'm in for a good time.

Good old Abhi is just not the brooding action star they are trying to make him to be. His best role is the lovable scoundrel with a heart of gold.

This doesn't mean I don't like to watch him in action but it is only because I love him.

Jess said...

Aww I think Aditya is cute!

Bol Bachchan could be a lot of fun, I'm pretty iffy on both Abhishek and Ajay in general, but it sounds good so far-and I like Asin, even if they haven't said anything about what she's doing in the film.

Sal said...

I feel the same way about Salman playing a "rowdy" in his mid-forties and Akshay doing the goofy casanova act well into middle age as you do about Saif. Different strokes, I suppose :).

Filmi Girl said...

@Sal Touche, my friend!! :D

I guess the distinction to me is that those Akshay/Salman movies aren't really supposed to be "realistic" per se...

maxqnz said...

Th reason I think so many read that article differently to you was the author's disdainful approach. I thought Get Filmy summed it up well when she said "


Bullshit. 1.2 billion people (give or take a few) aren’t wrong. As Get Filmy put it "Basically she's mad that unlike her, people like Devdas more than Peepli Live. And she took it out on "the Americans". How childish."

I share the author's view of Devdas, and may actually dislike it more than she does, but her article condemns "The West" (a mythological monolith) for liking a film that was hugely popular in India As you said about Indian cinema generally "Bullshit. 1.2 billion people (give or take a few) aren’t wrong" and yet the author was implying as much by using that one film to say that those who liked it so much were wrong to do so. It was a sneeringly condescending article, full of the self-righteousness of the critic, I thought, despite the fact that I agree with her personal opinion about that one film.

Filmi Girl said...

@maxqnz Ah! I don't like "Devdas" all that much either, to be honest...

Maybe it's because I agree that Westerns often like BW films for (what I think are) the wrong reasons?

I get kind of uncomfortable seeing people laughing at things that aren't supposed to be funny - like that movie The Room. It just seems mean to me and I hate it.

And I completely agreed with her take down of Saltz and some of the other Western critics who write (poorly) on Indian films.

To Devdas specifically, it does seem kind of bogus to put it on a Ten Best of the decade list when there have been so many other, better films that made a greater impact. Choosing Devdas is choosing to represent Indian films with contentless razzle-dazzle melodrama and I can't have been the only one to question exactly how many Indian films they reviewed to pick it.

3 Idiots would have been a better Bollywood choice - and it's one that I don't even particularly care for. :P

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl