Anyways... let's move on to REAL Bollywood news!
* A story on Bollywood's growing popularity in Germany.
Germany was first properly introduced to Bollywood that same year when a private TV channel aired a hit Bollywood film, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham.
Nasim Khan, who also partners with a Bollywood distribution company, said it was a surprise hit. "More than two million people watched it."
The movie had a huge impact on German women.
* A filmi prostitution ring was busted in Bangalore. Sometime item girl Sana Khan was among those arrested. The write-ups on this have been predictably tactless - the one I linked to refers to a "victim" of the gang by which they mean one of the Johns who was promised a night with a big star, which the gang didn't deliver. This "victim" was so upset at being cheated like this that he went to the police.
Can you even imagine that conversation?
Policeman: So what seems to be the trouble?
"Victim": Well, I paid for Katrina Kaif but that kuta only gave me some small time girl! She wasn't a star at all! I did her but I want my money back.
Policeman: That is indeed a tragedy, sir. Please, come right this way to a holding cell.
"Victim": BUT I'M THE VICTIM HERE!
Hero, waiting in holding cell, having been picked up earlier for bashing eve teasers: *cracks knuckles*
* Multiplexes start a new pricing scheme.
* Priyadarshan blames the failure of Tezz on the editing.
Hurting under the impact of the failure of Tezz, Priyan says, "The producers took over the film from me after I shot it. It was edited by them. And the results were there for everyone to see. So many people including critics have told me that they couldn't follow the narration in Tezz because of the editing."
That's a nice face-saving theory, Priyan-sir but from what I've heard the editing is the only thing that makes the film watchable...
* Siddharth is heading back to Bollywood to remake Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi... to be set in the UK. So much for the minimal budget part of the film...
* Vivek Oberoi signs another film. This one with Sanjay Dutt. I can't help rooting for Vivek. Sure, he's a douchebag but I feel like he's my douchebag, you know?
* Madame Vidya Balan will be in Melbourne as the brand ambassador for the Indian Film Festival in June.
* Vikram Bhatt is releasing six minutes of Dangerous Ishq online on Sunday May 6th. Just the thing to recover from your Cinco De Mayo hangovers!
* Jannat 2 faces a copyright challenge.
* Read an interview with Rick Roy the highly entertaining costume director of Jannat 2.
"Emraan’s character is of a local gun dealer and things happen so his character transforms a bit. In the first half he is this fancy-free, cocky guy, so we gave him a lot of colourful clothes. He has this wannabe look. I bought a lot of Ed Hardy kind of shiny, printed tees and made colourful corduroy jackets. Eventually his character goes through a change – so from wannabe cool he became smart cool. But he had to still look very real."
* Javed Jaffrey!! He gives an interview:
"I am very glad that a film like Kahaani did a business of Rs 60 crore. The film did not require sex, violence or item girls to win the audience. It was a story well told. The Dirty Picture was a good film, but cashed in on overt sexuality, but Kahaani proved to be the game changer. It’s a film Bollywood should be proud of, yet it is not a Bollywood film."
Have I mentioned that I love Javed Jaffrey?
"I think the thrill to become someone you are not is exciting. Right from Salaam Namaste to Fire and from Dhamaal to 8 by 10 Tasveer, I have constantly tried explore the entire spectrum, often going back and forth. I like to play intense and very complex characters. See, there are certain things we all do, but these things never get portrayed in cinema. But if you observe carefully, these little quirks and idiosyncrasies make us who we are. They are part of our being. I like to observe these things and portray them on the big screen."
Why did Javed never get the recognition that Naseer or Nana have gotten? What happened?
* I'll end on a fun note... Katrina to battle Aamir mano-a-mano in Dhoom 3. Is he going to use a step stool?! (I joke, I joke! This is going to be BOSS!)