Saturday, May 5, 2012

Saturday Gossip: The Imported Edition

Today in gossip... Dancers! I have a question for you. Also, Rajesh Khanna, Rajat Kapoor, Kailash Kher, people's drinking problmes... and some other odds and ends!


* A look at the marketing of Satyamev Jayate:

The weapons that have been deployed for this ‘ultimate war for eyeballs’ are commensurate with the magnitude of the task. The biggest eyeball magnet – Aamir Khan. Fresh new content – A reality show that is devoid of category clich├ęs like ‘doctoring’ and screechy hype. Scale – The show will be simulcast on the bouquet of Star channels, in multiple languages and DD, for the first time ever. Innovative marketing – the promos are being run in cinema halls. Following the Bollywood tradition of using an item number to create a buzz about a film, a song has been released to publicize the TV show.

* Miss Lovely has been picked up by Amsterdam-based Fortissimo... maybe it will make it to the US!

* Kailash Kher, I love you but shut up about Kolaveri Di.

"Kolaveri di for me is much-hyped and much-touted number, no thanks to the social media. The collapse of the movie led to the collapse of the song itself."

Did you even hear the rest of the soundtrack? It's by far the best film album to come this year so far and a real strong debut from an up and comer. Maybe "Kolaveri Di" was a viral hit but it's still a good song...

* Sid is remaking Vicky Donor. He's a good choice for lead, actually.

* Hiring Bebo for Heroine has put a serious dent in Madhur Bandar-car's pockets.

How will he afford his bananas and Bebo's outfits?!

* Vijay joins Akshay and Prabhudeva on the sets of Rowdy Rathore!

* Randeep Hooda "in character" by being drunk on set. Um... it's called acting?

To stay in character, I went on sets drunk, because I wanted a slur in my dialogue and unsteadiness in my gait. I realised that there is a thin line between being a party drinker and an alcoholic. There was a time when I was craving for a drink at 11 am.”

* Rajat Kapoor talks FATSO and it's pretty standard stuff.

I liked this little tag ending:

Do you still don’t own a cell phone?

That’s true.

Then how do you communicate?

It is very easy actually. Cell phones are devices for people who want to have affairs and to send dirty SMS’s to each other. If you don’t need it for that you just don’t need it.

HA HA HA!!! Stay cranky, Rajat!

* Isha Sharvani (remember her?) will be debuting in Malayalam film.

* Deepika Padukone to to a classical dance in Kochadaiyaan. Here's something for the classical dancers to answer: how do you rate her skills?

* And we'll end on a wistful note... Balki talks about Rajesh Khanna to writer Gayatri Jayaraman.

Some years ago, I was searching for Khanna’s cell phone number. I wanted to interview him for a series in which we were revisiting the living legends of Indian cinema. A friend in the industry, who had access, warned me against meeting Khanna. “If you must interview him, do it over the phone,” he said. Why, I asked. “You will not be able to bear meeting him, the state he is in” he said, kindly.

Akshay himself tweeted this with a very sweet message... is it any wonder he's my favorite hero?

And the making of...

The teaser for "Imported Kamariya." I'm not sure what I think of this yet. I get that it's supposed to be a parody but I think they wanted their cake and to eat it to, you know? They hired the exotic import as a "joke" but what makes it different from the "non-parody" songs? Wouldn't it have been more of a parody of Bollywood's love of exotic imports to get a dark girl who can really dance and put her in a blond wig? That would have been a lot cleverer if you ask me - the song could have had her come out in a Western-style dress and dance like an awkward white girl on the verse and then rip the dress off on the chorus to reveal a raunchy faux country belle item girl outfit and the crowd would go wild.

Or something. I'm just spitballin' here. Anyone else have thoughts?

5 comments:

Bombay Talkies said...

I'll say this about "Imported Kamariya"--the girl can dance. It's not that limp, boring, "sexy western" dancing we're so used to seeing from most of the white girls brought in. She's got spirit--I thought the number was pretty engaging.

Filmi Girl said...

Yeah, she's not bad! :) Definitely a step above whoever the girl RGV got was... that number was just embarrassing.

The song itself is fun - I was just thinking more of how they are trying to sell it as a "parody" but really it seems more like a straight "exotic" number to me.

Bombay Talkies said...

I'm guessing from the trailer that there's a bit of context to the number--correct me if I'm wrong but she looks like the girl we see cluelessly stumbling her way out of a private jet at one point in the trailer. I'm withholding judgement on whether they're having their cake and eating it too until I see the film (which I'm guessing won't be playing around here, same old story, same old song and dance).

the mafia kat said...

Deepika is a pretty talented dancer? I watched the beginning of "Dhoom Tana" again, and she definitely has the poise for some of the Bharatanatyam poses. And her "kathak spins" weren't bad. It just depends what the choreography is - is it real classical dance or the "classically infused," sexualized stuff from Dhoom Tana? (The article called her Dhoom Tana choreo "classical" so...) I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Archee ologist said...

What the media tells us about classical dances, can be quite misleading.

Before Fiza, we heard Hritik was set to do a tandav in the movie. I went to the movie just for that, and was sourly disappointed.

Good choreography can well cover half the ground. In Umrao Jaan, Aishwarya does a good job pretending she knows Kathak, even though she is not trained in it. I am told Sridevi did not train in any classical forms, although I would not have guessed it.

Poor Kareena looks very awkward even with non-classical dances (think, Agent Vinod). Do you remember the short segment where Preeti Jhangiani does 'Kathak' in Mohabbatein? Now that was aweful 'classical dancing'.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl