Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday Newsss Post!

The Indian Film Festival in New York has kicked off! How did I not know they were screening Bubble Gum?! I'm dying to see that one; it looks so cute! Do go if you get a chance - I think they are also screening Chittagong, which is supposed to be miles better than the Abhishek film on the same topic.

And an announcement - I'll be on vacation from Saturday to Saturday and I'm not sure what my Internet situation is going to be like. Hopefully nothing terribly exciting will happen in B-town while I'm gone but... I'll be back in time to bring you plenty of excitement over ROWDY RATHORE!
* More Cannes drama: Producer Sheetal Talwar has a meltdown.

Talwar thinks the India Party is a symptom of the sickness that has seeped into the Indian participation at foreign festivals, particularly Cannes. "Every year I come here and I see the Indian government's money being wasted by the so-called Indian Pavilion. What does this Pavilion achieve every year at Cannes? According to me, zilch. Every year members of the Indian film industry travel business class to Cannes, party with one another and go back without making any difference to global cinema."

* I don't even know what to say about this.

This cloying sentimentalism is not of universal nature, cannot be communicated in translation, and is highly culture-specific. Its characters—brother, neighbour, boss, uncle, tawaif (courtesan), Parsi, priest, servant, God—are invested with peculiar behavioural attributes that are not explained because the audience already knows them. The foreign movie that uses the Indian setting—Slumdog Millionaire—does not work here because the actors are off-character. A raped heroine is unacceptable to the audience.

Just imagine me shaking my head in confusion.

* Ayushmann Khurrana talks about his next move.

"I am a huge Bollywood fan and I would love to do commercial cinema. I will do everything, like dancing around trees and saving the girl. But having said that, I would also love to do the kind of cinema that 'Vicky Donor' has created."

* Rana Dagabatti is pretty full of himself for a guy who just starred in the biggest flop of the year.

"The one thing you get when you're from a filmi family is knowledge. I come from a family of actors, directors and producers, and I had this knowledge bank at home. But the disadvantage here is, you're never spared either. Failure is not an option for star-kids."

Right... tell me another one. Star kids fail themselves into other careers as TV hosts, producers, directors, and third string heroes all the time.

* Vidya Balan will be endorsing Aliva crackers. I kind of can't wait to see these ads.

* NO! As soon as I get rid of Nargis, back comes Lara Dutta. She'll have a role (hopefully not a large one) in Bejoy Nambiar's David. With any luck, all her scenes will be with Neil Nitin Mukesh and I can just fast forward through them to get to Vikram and Tabu, who are real actors not just boldfaced names.

* Vivek Oberoi is lending his star power to Rajasthan Fashion Week. (The picture is really adorable.) I know he's a jackass but I can't help it. I like the guy. (Also, images from Kismat Love Paisa Dilli with Mallika Sherawat. This is either going to be amazing or awful.)

* Invites to Karan Johar's Birthday aka Bollywood's Prom are in high demand. (Just ask Karan!) But do you know who is NOT invited...?

Says Johar: “RGV is neither a friend nor a professional associate, so he is not invited to my party.”

HOOOOO SNAP, SON! YOU JUST GOT BURNNNNNED! *cue Leslie Gore*

I may not be overly fond of Karan Johar's movies but I do enjoy reading about him in the press - especially when the press calls him Bollywood's Most Eligible Bachelor. Sure, media, and following him in that category are Tusshar Kapoor and Sharman Joshi. They're sooo~ eligible, na?

(Related: Famous Twitter Wars!)

New video from Tigerstyle! I love these guys... really talented.

5 comments:

Sal said...

Pretty sure Sharman Joshi is married with kids, FG.

Filmi Girl said...

@Sal Even Elton John was married to a woman at one point... ;)

eliza bennet said...

"Vivek Oberoi is lending his star power"

I don't think he has any (star power that is)

Even I heard of the rumours of Sharman's sexual preference (and I'm really looking for a good Bollywood gossip site ever since bollywoodbasket is no more)

the mafia kat said...

That first still from Kismat Love Paisa Dilli makes me cringe. Not because of Vivek -- he's channeling some Saathiya level charm -- but because of the awful outfit they put Mallika in. Like, she can still be hot without putting her in an a tacky pseudo schoolgirl miniskirt. Ugh.

The cute maxi dress stills - where she looks normal and not bizarrely made up - give me hope.

Sal said...

If Sharman is gay, I'm calling dibs.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl