Thursday, April 26, 2012

Thursday Gossip

So, I had a small amount of pushback on my criticism of that god-awful Smash song - saying that a) Bollywood is far from culturally sensitive so why should the West be worried about it and b) this song could possibly lead people to watching "real" Bollywood songs. I'm willing to concede the latter point for sure - it's one of the reasons I don't trash Bride and Prejudice like a lot of people do. But to the former... I think this is different from what Bollywood does. That Smash song was being presented as representing Bollywood, which the West seems to feel is a catch-all for Indian culture in general. It was exoticizing orientalist bullshit, conflating all the brown people from Morocco to Bangladesh into one bizarre mishmash of cultural misunderstanding. Sure, Bollywood has it's own stereotypes of evil whiteys and what have you but that is completely different from what is going on in that Smash song. The evil whitey having some historical basis, first of all. And secondly, these days at least, with so many films taking place overseas, Western culture isn't a mysterious unknown to be represented by people in red coats and powdered wigs.

Basically, that Smash song just revealed that Americans in general have an almost complete ignorance of what people are like outside of their borders. And that is very different from any cultural insensitivity towards the West in Bollywood film.

Or something. It's early here.


* Everybody's favorite filmi grandmother Zohra Sehgal turns 100! Happy Birthday!

* Ek Tha Tiger and Dhoom 3 to be promoted at Cannes. Oh ho ho! I wonder what they'll be presenting... trailers?

* Dibakar Banerjee talks about Shanghai.

When asked about Shanghai, Dibakar said, to fulfil the middle-class dream of living in a developed city, many poor communities and even villages are uprooted to make way for swanky shopping malls, special economic zones and flyovers. "This kind of development has become a debated issue which has been discussed in the film. Politicians promise us that we will become China or a Western market economy overnight," the director said.

* Meet the woman behind Vidya Bagchi.

* Aamir Khan's television show is already setting records.

Aamir Khan’s anchor fee by itself ensures that the new show on the Rupert Murdoch-owned Star Plus is setting records in India’s television industry. Each episode of Satyamev Jayate, expected to be about ordinary people and to start airing on 6 May, will cost more than Rs. 4 crore to produce. (On an average, a 30-minute episode of a prime-time Hindi soap costs Rs. 8-9 lakh. A reality show could cost between Rs. 35 lakh and Rs. 2 crore an episode, depending on the stars hosting the show.)

The whole piece is pretty interesting, actually. I'm looking forward to this, so I hope they put it up online!

* Farhan Akhtar's Excel Entertainment is also looking to get some TV action.

* Mallika item is back in Tezz - which is going to have 3 endings. Wow. This movie is going to be a disaster, unless my flop-o-meter is seriously broken.

* Ankur Pathak from Rediff takes the time to ask Sameera Reddy some interesting questions.

What went wrong post-Musafir? Was it lack of offers from the mainstream that made you shift to the South?

I don't know if things went right or wrong, but Bollywood is corrupted with a lot of politics. And to be frank, I don't know how to play that game. I have never been a part of the rat race, and that is out of choice. I have followed my heart and done things with dignity without being aggressive about it. I think that is how I protect myself.


I really like Sameera Reddy and I'm glad to see that she's come to terms with her lack of a Bollywood career. Sameera, you keep turning in good performances in interesting films (Red Alert!!!) and we'll keep watching. Leave the bikini girl roles to the girls with no talent. Girls like Shazahn Padamsee are a dime a dozen (probably literally) but actresses like Sameera Reddy's are rare.

* Sunny Leone is doing an item in Zanjeer. Didn't we know this already?

* Abhay Deol and Sonam Kapoor leave Aisha behind and agree to work together again.

* Casting info for 3 Mistakes.

* First look of Arjun Rampal's policeman avatar in Prakash Jha's new film.

* Why does this sound like bullshit? Ranbir Kapoor and the yet to debut Alia Bhatt in an Abhinav Kashyap film? Well, if it's real and if it's Ranbir, I probably won't miss it. I trust his taste in projects.

* My main man Akshay Kumar is going vegetarian to fully get into Oh My God.

The source added, "Normally his mother keeps away from his Bollywood matters. But when Akshay told her about the film and his character, she requested him to stick to greens only. Being a doting son, this was one request Akshay was more than happy to accede to."

* Initial word on Despite the Gods is that it feels more like a DVD extra. Maybe you have to have seen the film to appreciate? (I'm in luck then!)

* Of course Naseer and Ratna Patak's son is pretentious little shit. (And I mean that in the best possible way.)

My character in "M Cream" is very interesting. I felt that I am the only guy who could do it. He's very cynical and hates the double standards of these so-called intellectual people in Delhi, who go about this cause and that cause and do nothing about it - basically the upper-class fake people. He kinda sees through all of that. He's also a struggling writer, stuck in the capitalist system, rebelling against society.

Hee! I love young people. I can only hope his performances are as entertaining as his interviews. I salute you, Imaad Shah!



Trailer for Bips' Singularity!

3 comments:

Bombay Talkies said...

Whoever edited that Singularity trailer needs to be fired. That was awful.

Thelondongirl said...

watched the trailer = " Eh? what just happened?"

Carol said...

Oh, so Shanghai will be directed by Dibakar Banerjee. That makes me very apprehensive...I felt like was being punched through each second of LSD. That's not a bad thing, it's just very painful. He's a powerful director.

" stuck in the capitalist system, rebelling against society"

Naive little boy.

Whoever edited that Singularity trailer needs to be fired. [2]

It seems to be so boring. Let's wait and see.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl