Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sunday Gossip!

Good morning!!! Rainy day here in Washington. So, I saw Vicky Donor last night and it's a solid middlebrow film with a lot of laughs and a good heart. I really wish that this was the kind of film that got sent around to international festivals instead of vapid big-hero flicks like Don 2 but what are you going to do... those are the films with money to burn.

Congratulations to John and the team! I'll be posting up my review later today.


* Sonu Niigaam has had to cancel his London show due to VISA problems.

* Does anybody really care about Poonam Pandey? We'll see if she can actually act or if she's all strip later this year in I Am 18. I kind of don't think she should be mentioned alongside Paoli Dam, who may be "bold" but she is an actress not somebody famous for offering to take her clothes off for the India National Cricket team.

* The Dirty Picture - not appropriate for television viewers?

* Arjun Kapoor gives an interview.

Is [your character] close to who Arjun is?

I've never been in a fight, not even while in college. But that's probably because I was rarely at college (laughs). No, seriously, I've never been beaten. Parma gets down and dirty. He lets his emotions show. I internalise things. My sorrows and joys are private.


* Vikram puts Karikalan on hold in order to build up the appropriate physique.

* Priyanka is excited about Teri Meri Kahaani.

"The movie will be a memorable one. The story takes us through a journey of eternal love between a couple who have vowed to love each other not only in this life but in every life to follow. Their love is so strong that even destiny wants to bring them together," Priyanka said.

Yeah. I'm only linking to this because I wanted an excuse to mention that I saw the trailer for Teri Meri Kahaani (again) on the big screen last night before Vicky Donor and something clicked in my head. Teri Meri Kahaani is yet another of those films for people who think Bollywood is really all about sparkles, romance, and dancing, with no actual meaning to any of it. On par with Hollywood romantic-comedies that treat romantic love out of all context like the center of the universe. In other words, occasionally amusing but generally just really vapid.

Romance is fine and good but the best commercial filmmakers have always understood that it must always be part of the masala - not the whole film. Too much sugar gives a stomach ache; too much of one flavor gives no stimulation to the palate.

Think about your favorite romances, then think of what other issues those films touched on.

Just off the top of my head, Band Baaja Baarat had a lot to say about things like "finding value in work" and "the appropriate role of romance in life."

Judging from the trailer, the "eternal love" between two privildged young adults romping around London (possibly facing some strawmen racists - because this is a Kunal Kohli film, after all) seems self-indulgent and narcissistic and utterly uninteresting from my vantage point. Are there even any parents involved? Friends?

Anyways.



Enjoy the Bollywood Barbie promoting Choc On! Suddenly, I am gripped by the urge to eat some chocolate...

5 comments:

S said...

Just out of curiosity, what other themes do you think Kuch Kuch Hota Hai or Dil To Pagal Hao touched on? I know you're not the biggest fan of these movies but they were very popular everywhere so I was wondering.

Filmi Girl said...

@S Yeah... they're more on the sugar shock "romantic love = everything" side of things. Hence my not liking them very much. But, that said, KKHH does dig into the idea that you can't always get what you want (even if everybody pretty does get what they want at the end) and there are some larger "life and death" issues in the film, too. DTPH is pretty much just fluff, though.

anitarama said...

Once again we think so differently. You mentioned BBB and all my mind said was "but that movie became so terrible!" with all the yelling and shouting and almost no romance when there should have been some etc. etc.

I think the greatest love stories from Bollywood do touch on other themes because love has interpersonal consequences (I'm thinking stuff like Bobby or Mughal-E-Azam or DDLJ or Silsila) but all in all the main priority is the romance. :)

S said...

Yes, the theme of not always getting what you want, accepting unrequited love is very relatable in KKHH. There was also a lot of focus on the larger family unit, rather than just the love-triangle.

As for DTPH, Madhuri's conflict was between pleasing her adoptive parents and following her heart and that's something which a lot of children face, in many different contexts.

Actually I think that's what made older romances so much more relatable. Since the conflict was usually external, the movies weren't completely focused on the romance. Now most external conflicts have been lessened (especially for the rich/upper middle class urban characters Bollywood focuses on) so filmmakers have shifted to using internal conflicts, which sometimes leads to a lot of privileged navel gazing.

Jess said...

For a second, that commercial seemed like it was trying to sell a Katrina/Katrina/Katrina romantic triangle. Why is she watching herself almost seduce her third self with chocolate? I don't get it.

As for Teri Meri Kahanni, I prefer romances where the couple has real struggles as opposed to "fate breaks them apart" which is what this looks like. Probably why I didn't like Mausam either. Two people being kept apart because of timing is the least interesting thing to me.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl