Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunday Gossip - Slow News Day edition...

It's kind of a slow news day so if you'll indulge my continued mocking of Bollywood's favorite charity case by linking to a zing from this actually very fair review of Tezz:

Zayed Khan must be a proud man for all the Parkour stunts that have been credited to him, thanks to the stunt double.

Aw... snap!


* I didn't this! Parineeti Chopra ended up in Bollywood because she couldn't find a job with her management degree.

* This is a terrible idea - Muqaddar Ka Sikandar remake. This was such a film of its time...

* I had a little fun at Sanjay's expense yesterday but, to be fair, part of the silliness was the fault of the journalists "writing" those lazy articles. Here is what a more thoughtful writer can do with the same Sanjay interview:

About his last role as Kancha Cheena in the remake of Agneepath, Sanjay says, “It was such a difficult decision to accept the role of Kancha. I have played a bad guy before, but this guy was something else. He was ruthless and eccentric. It took me months to convince myself and I tip my hat to director Karan Malhotra who portrayed Kancha as the hero of the film. Even Hrithik, who is such a successful star of today, had no airs about him and went with the director's flow.”

* See, a slow news day means I go digging and find gems like this. Is Gautham Menon going to try to take his next film international?! That's the conclusion Behindwoods gets from Vijay's character's name.

The ace director has a theory. Yohan is one of the most used names in the world. He believes that, with this title he will have a wider reach for his film. From what we understand, he is probably trying to take this film international. The film is expected to go on floor from May.

I'm not the only one digging today, it seems.

* Will Vikram's next film light the box office on fire? It seems our Chiyyan Vikram needs a hit!

Prod Vikram about the theme of Thaandavam and he tells us that it is a complete action entertainer with Jagapathi Babu and him playing cops. We understand that Vikram has worked out differently on his looks this time to ensure that it will not remind the viewers of his looks from any of his previous films. The film boasts of two heroines — Anushka and Amy Jackson — but we are informed that that the plot isn’t a triangular tale of love.

Sounds like that would do it... I'll be in line for tickets!

* This was kind of interesting... Kannada films competing for the banner theaters.

The industry has this unique tradition of releasing films in one ‘main theatre’. This theatre has to be one of the many in the Gandhinagar area, preferably on Kempe Gowda road. There are examples of producers waiting for weeks, if not months, to release their films if they do not get a ‘slot’ in Gandhinagar though they have managed to book 100 other theatres across the state.

Bips, Helen, and Mithun on Dance India Dance doing Jodi Breakers promotions... just because. My favorite moment is about 7:33 when you can see Helen just busting a gut in the background. She seems like SUCH a wonderful lady!

7 comments:

Medha said...

Hey FilmiGirl,

Since today was a slow news day, I figured I'd ask a semi-random question: have you ever heard of Penn Masala? They're a South Asian fusion a cappella group based in UPenn and their specialty is mixing Hindi and English music. And in my opinion, they're really amazing.

Just seems like something you might be interested in.

the mafia kat said...

Going off of Medha, I think you'd enjoy the entire South Asian a cappella circuit. Penn Masala happens to be the first group, so they enjoy lots of popularity. (Incredibly talented when you listen to their CDs, but I definitely did not think they were that good live. Also, the boys have pretty big egos.. speaking from the experience of bringing them to a conference.) Other good groups include Maize Mirchi (University of Michigan), NY Masti (bunch of badass ladies), Chai Town (UIUC), Stanford Raagapella, Berkeley Dil Se.

OG said...

Hey FG,

I recently came across this Marathi film trailer "Pune 52" and found it really interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmcQkSbarZs

Have you seen this? The Marathi film industry does produce gems from what little I have seen of them.

Medha said...

the mafia kat,

If I could have some advice really quick - I was considering inviting Penn Masala to an event I'll be hosting next year on my college campus, but your comment made me question that decision. I've seen them in concert, where I was actually blown away by how good they sounded live, and I absolutely love their CDs / music, which I personally think are better than the other South Asian a capella groups I've tried. And they're very popular here. But point being, based on your experience, should I or shouldn't I?

Filmi Girl said...

@medha and mafiakat Hi!! *waves* I have heard of Penn Masala and heard a few tracks - they are very talented, indeed! I don't doubt about the big egos though, lol!!

I'm going to have to check a few of those other ones out... :) Mafiakat, do you have any recommendations for good tracks from those other groups?

@OG I hadn't seen that but 1) SUBTITLES and 2) you're right it does look good! Maybe this will be one that actually gets an online release with English subtitles... :) I love detective movies. LOL! Mysteries are just too much fun. I wish there were more good ones...

Thanks for sharing!

the mafia kat said...

@FilmiGirl - Yes! Here are my recs:

NY Masti
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6dPPFT1YJ0
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=uumiqPgo9mE

Chai Town (UIUC)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzzsNO8-lII

Maize Mirchi
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjiVyATLL5k
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf-1RmIvi-g

Berkeley Dil Se
- http://youtu.be/e8Eh6sjylSE?t=4m9s

Stanford Raagapella
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=OLIFEjVA4hA

Filmi Girl said...

@the mafia kat Thanks so much!! I will definitely check those out later today. :D

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl