Monday, April 16, 2012

Monday Gossip...

You may have noticed there was no post yesterday! Sorry, guys! I caught a late-late show of Cabin in the Woods and didn't get home until way past my bedtime so I was a little too sleepy to dig through the daily rags yesterday morning.

Now! There is some really awful news and some silly news today... prepare yourselves.



* Gruesome story to begin with today - small time actress Minakshi Thapa, who was to make her debut in Heroine, has been brutally murdered.

* The Indian Express has the full scoop on the Arun Tikka murder case.

* Pardon me while I laugh forever at the first line of this piece.

The US seems to be losing its lure for Bollywood with "racial profiling" and visa problems apparently forcing directors and producers to look for locales elsewhere.

Right... that's why we just had Ek Main aur Ek Tu shot here. Besides, America has never been as popular for shooting as the UK so it's not like there are hordes of directors crossing out "Chicago" from their film scripts and penciling in "London." The VISA issues didn't start this weekend when Shahrukh was pulled aside for secondary questioning.

Also, considering the press hysteria every time an actor even mentions a certain "H****wood" we can assume the America-mania isn't going away any time soon.

* John Abraham tries to speak reason amidst the hysteria but I doubt anybody is listening.

"I have been in that detention space, where the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) was called in because I had Afghanistan mentioned in my passport, as I had shot there for two months for my film Kabul Express. There wasn't much hue and cry about this as I never wanted to use the incident as a media peg for the film."

John is one of the few actors I'd actually like to just chill with. He seems like a cool guy.

* Tusshar Kapoor has devised his own torture for audiences - read it here, though perhaps you might want to make sure you're not eating first.

* Even a broken clock is right twice a day - Anil Kapoor has this to say.

"People are tired now with so many promotions. The film should be good. There are so many films that are promoted on a large scale, but do not live up to the expectations," the 52-year-old said.

Word.

* Bebo is doing a cameo in Rowdy Rathore and Dabangg 2!

* Shahid to star in Imtiaz Ali's remake of South Korean film My Girlfriend is an Agent. No word on what "exotic import" Imtiaz will be introducing into the Bollywood ecosphere. He is responsible for more invasive species than anybody else... Giselle is still kicking around, you know. She's doing items now.

* And Imtiaz's other import (he really should have his license revoked) Nargis Fahkri is going to be torturing audiences again with Khiladi 786. Well... if we could all suffer through Twinkle in International Khiladi...

* Oh, dear. Akshay, I thought we talked about this - you weren't supposed to work with Priyadarshan anymore! Is anybody else nervous about this remake of The Arab, The Camel and P Madhavan Nair?

* Also, Akshay Kumar: businessman.

* There are a lot of interesting Bollywood documentaries these days... I just wish we had access to them here. Arjun Ramapl is making a documentary on Ashok Mehta.

* Not even actors are immune from the weight police. Guess what? Arjun Kapoor used to be chunky! Wow! What news!

* Raghubir Yadav says character actors aren't paid well, which is not surprising but kind of sad.

* Rajini's Kochadaiyaan for September. Book your tickets early for this one, folks. I remember just barely getting into a screening opening weekend of Enthiran. It was a packed house for an 11am Sunday morning show.

(The superstar is also having to bail out his daughter after 3 flopped. I'm still really sad about that; 3 is my favorite film of the year so far.)

* Emraan Hashmi planning a world tour. I would TOTALLY go to this.

* Is Ajay Devgn five years old? His behavior in this Kangana affair is so childish. I don't envy Kajol one bit.

* I'm surprised this took so long: Masti sequel.

ETA: Zarine Khan speaks about the media harassing her about her weight.



Another song promo for Ishaqzaade! Gauher Khan! Lovely to see you again, my dear.

The real star of this is that dancer in the maroon shirt! He is milking this for all it's worth!



Catch up with Remo D'Souza who is directing my most anticipated film in production right now - ABCD.



Trailer for Gabbar Singh - looks good but I don't know if it can beat the enthusiasm of Osthe....



... for example the theme doesn't have nearly the same giddy lift of "Osthe Maamey."

9 comments:

Melanie said...

OMG is there a malediction on Heroine or what?? That's awful.... Condolences to the family...

Moimeme said...

Re Arjun Kapoor, if you'd seen photos of him a few years ago, you'd see that he was severely overweight. Considering his age at the time (about 19) it struck me as a severe health issue. There were reports at the time that Salman, concerned about his health, got him into a strict exercise regimen to get him into shape. It has taken a good three or four years for him to get to his new look, which frankly amazes me. However his film career pans out, I'm glad he got himself into healthy shape.

Too bad you missed yesterday's blog post. You might have put up these links on the SRK airport drama, which provide a few more plausible reasons and sheds better light on the whole episode. I hope you check them out some time:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120414/jsp/nation/story_15373449.jsp#.T4uPbJV5mSM

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120415/jsp/nation/story_15375772.jsp#.T4uQp5V5mSM

And further speculation from the Times of India:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-04-15/india/31344930_1_bollywood-interpol-red-corner-notice

Bombay Talkies said...

Arjun apparently weighed 140 kilos, or over 300 pounds. That's a hell of a lot for a teenager, and more than just "chunky". He looks great now, but more importantly he looks healthy. I saw some of the pictures of him before he got in shape and he just looked unhappy and terribly unfit. It's no way to live life. Good for him for working hard and pulling it together.

The "weight police" applies to people critiquing someone for five or ten extra pounds, someone who's healthy and fit at their weight and doesn't need to lose any. Arjun was not just a couple of pounds overweight. He was clinically obese.

I'm glad his dedication to losing weight and getting fit is getting some headlines. India is quickly becoming one of the most diabetic countries in the world, which obesity plays a large role in. He's a great role model for other young people. Don't knock it.

Filmi Girl said...

@moimeme Thanks - I saw some of the "fan" speculation regarding why he keeps getting stopped. It certainly seems plausible enough... I know some outlets were like, "Obviously this is the real SRK so why are they stopping him" but you can't just wave away security procedures like that in the US.

And (also @bombay talkies) re: Arjun Kapoor. Okay, you guys make a good point that he was clinically obese before and needed to lose weight to be healthy. :) Mea culpa!

My reaction was coming from the tone of the articles themselves which treated Arjun's weight like they treated Sonakshi's and Sonam's (who were perfectly normal-sized) when clearly his weight problem must have been very severe. I should have looked at this more carefully. My apologies! (Hmm... another good post topic?)

Bombay Talkies said...

Hardly your fault if the picture they used in that article is anything to go by--it's hard to tell what a person's weight is by their face alone. There are full size versions of that photo that give a better idea of the kind of weight he was carrying.

Regardless, he looks really fit now--all the better for those fun dance moves! (And yay for Gauher! That reminds me I need to finish watching The Khan Sisters--it's strangely addicting!)

Filmi Girl said...

@bombaytalkies :)

Is "The Khan Sisters" on youtube? I'm curious about that one, I admit. I keep waiting for a Real Housewives of Bombay starring Gauri (natch!)

Arjun looks very healthy and fit now - not emaciated like poor Jackky Bhagnani. And I'm convinced Sonam is battling an eating disorder with the way she talks about herself and food.

thediva_1 said...

This khan sisters show is very interesting...it's like Keeping up with the Kardashians, but Indian.
Watch it! You'll love it, if you are entertained by whining girls (like me).

And this heroine death is extremely shocking. What a tragedy and what sick, sick people! Who would do that?!

Filmi Girl said...

@thediva_1 I'll look for it! I am entertained by whining rich girls. ;)

Isn't that death shocking?! I was horrified. It's awful what people will do...

Bombay Talkies said...

Khan Sisters is on Youtube...I think under the UTV Bindass channel.

ETA: Here's the first episode. They're pretty funny--enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnBezWPK85Y

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl