Monday, April 30, 2012

Farewell April... Monday Updates!

Happy Monday! Man, this year is just flying right by.

Okay, we have to start with some sad news today...


* The sad news - and rather goulish photos - actress Achala Sachdev has passed away. My sympathies to her family.

* Pyarelal remembers his partner Laxmikant and talks about his years since he passed away, including a jaunt to London.

Pyarelal taught the British musicians to play his music. "The London Philharmonic Orchestra got used to playing Western classical with an Indian folk touch and pan-Asian influences. I introduced new drums and wrote to a 2-4 beat when they are used to play on the 5-4. I also taught them to stop moving from side to side while playing!" smiles the composer, who adds that when musicians there came to know that he had composed songs and background music for 500 films, one of them exclaimed, "Then you must be at least 300 years old!"

(Apparently, some sheet music is available!)

* Amitabh Bachchan spins a yarn about Manmohan Desai introducing vanity vans.

* I thought this was kind of interesting - Syrians still watch Indian movies.

If they know you are from India, Syrians, old and young, will tell you a thing of two about Indian films and their favourite film stars. Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan are familiar names in Syria. And Aishwarya Rai is a byword for beauty and glamour. Nasreen, a 20-something pretty girl, is delighted when she is told she looks like Aishwarya Rai. 'I love Aishwarya. She is jameela (the Arabic word for beautiful). I enjoyed watching 'Devdas',' Nasreen told IANS in her stuttering English, flavoured with Arabic.

* Tezz did so poorly over the weekend that it was beat by The Avengers.

* My buddy Pitobash talks to media from his home state of Orissa!

OD: What is your view on current situation on Odia Film Industry?

PT: Film is the most expensive form of entertainment. Due to lack of resources and funding quality of Odia cinema has relatively downgraded in recent years. Odisha does not lack talent but we lack resources to experiment with new ideas. That is why our film makers would safely follow formula films so as to recover cost. Parallel cinema and art cinema have seen a decline. Government of Odisha should create awareness about Odia film at school levels. Government should provide funding and technical knowhow to aspiring film makers of the state. State government should invite private firms to build more multiplexes in the states.

* Salman Khan throws some support to Somy Ali's charity for victims of domestic abuse.

* Gabbar Singh on May 10th!

* Shootout at Wadala for January 2013.

* Cherry snapped on the sets of Zanjeer! And Salman Khan on the sets of Ek Tha Tiger! Looking handsome, boss!

* A biopic on Bhanwari Devi? I don't like any of the names they are throwing around to play her... this could be disastrous.

* Speaking of disastrous, Rakhi Sawant in the Bengali version of The Dirty Picture?

* I've been ignoring news of Veena Malik's Supermodel but there were two articles today that were kind of interesting. I guess the film is being shot in Fiji - two local actors hired to play her parents give quotes and a puff piece on Bollywood in Fiji.

* Housefull 2 to be remade in Tamil?

* Emraan Hashmi: From serial kisser to menage-a-trois.

* Ram Gopal Varma asks a rhetorical question:

"I haven't changed, I have the same sensibility as I did when I made Satya or Bhoot," Varma said in an interview. "I don't know why people have stopped liking it."

* Dibakar Banerjee talks Shanghai and hints at his next project.

What’s your next project?

My next one is without any social subtext.

Really? How is that possible?

(Laughs) It’s creeping in, as we write it. It’s a detective whodunit thriller set in Kolkata in the 1940s. It’s about good versus evil — good man and bad man and the epic struggle between them.

Sounds good to me!

Title song teaser for Gabbar Singh! I don't think it will be better than Osthe, though...

1 comment:

Carol said...

I wanted to, but I just can't feel excited about Zanjeer. I've never seen any of Ram Charam's movies, but Priyanka in Jaya's role is just too much. Jaya was all small, sweet and adorable in Zanjeer and it's hard imagining Piggy doing the same. Anyway, I hope they're doing a good movie.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl