Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thursday Gossip!

Are you in Auckland? Sonu Nigam will be performing on April 14th!

And some good news for me... WE ARE GETTING Kahaani this weekend!

Also, I should mention that I will be in New York City next week from Wednesday night through Saturday morning and would like to plan a little Bollywood happy hour or something - possibly Friday evening? Do drop me a line and let me know if you are in the city and would like to meet up! You can e-mail me at filmi.girl (at) gmail (dot) com!

Now on to news...



* First some sad news - Music Director Ravi Shankar Sharma has passed away.

* I haven't seen much on this story but it seems really important!! DNA gives a nice long explanation of what happened with the regional film boards not being able to block Bollywood films from their districts.

Post the CCI order, Jain said the holdback terms and conditions will now be decided by business partners like IPR owners (UTV, Eros, Reliance, etc) or television channels (Zee, Sony Star, etc). “I can certainly say that the order will significantly enhance business prospects in terms of monetising the new film content across platforms,” said Jain.

It means Eros International would have received a much higher valuation for selling satellite rights for its Shah Rukh Khan-starrer Ra.One if the CCI order was passed before its release in 2011, he said. Media reports had earlier said that the film’s satellite rights were sold for a whopping Rs40 crore, the highest amount paid till date.


In other words, this isn't just Bollywood steamrolling regional filmmakers, this is a massive power grab from corporations at the expense of smaller players.

* This is - at the very least - disordered eating talk. Sonam Kapoor talking about food is always really sad... she just seems hungry.

* Vidya Balan gives a smackdown to size zero.

“Size zero doesn't matter For me there has been no acceptable body type. Look at actors of yesteryears like Mumtaz, Rekhaji... everyone had their individual style. One should celebrate one's own self the way you are. And when you accept yourself, everyone accepts you.”

* Check out some ultra-lame stills from Yash Chopra's Soggy Time Travel Extravaganza: Party Like It's 1996 starring Raj Rahul Shahrukh Khan and his daughter Katrina Kaif.

* This interview with Goldie Behl is deliciously catty.

"I don't think the presence of stars in a film matters to audiences. If the storyline is interesting and the film is made well, the audiences forget about the stars," said Behl, whose last big budget directorial venture Drona (2008) failed to live up to expectations.

HA HA HA! Oh, author of this piece, I love you. Though Goldie does have a point, proved by his Drona which starred two big "names" but had nothing else working for it. To a certain extent, yes, audiences will turn out for a hero but that is mostly because they know that their favorite hero will deliver a certain quality of film. For example, I turn out for Salman Khan films these days not because it's Salman Khan but because I know that Salman Khan equals a certain kind of mass market entertainer. Hard core fans will, of course, turn out for anything but the majority of us use the heroes as a quick reference to the type of film being released.



Press conference for John Abraham's Vicky Donor and... it's about sperm donation?! WHAT?!



"Right Now Now" from Housefull 2 and notice who is NOT included in this picturization. Please let this mean that Shazahn "I'll Do Anything To Get Exposure" Padamsee is being Piggy Chopped out of the film.

I love all the other pairings - Asin and Akshay; Jackie and John; and Zarine and Riteish! Sajid Khan is making this film especially for me, right?



Lastly, I don't know what this is but I want it. The film appears to be titled Disco and stars a guy named Nikhil... but presumably not this guy which is what popped up when I searched for more information on the film. Though that Nikhil does seem like a fun time!

7 comments:

Jess said...

So many things in the post today have me laughing!

"Check out some ultra-lame stills from Yash Chopra's Soggy Time Travel Extravaganza: Party Like It's 1996 starring Raj Rahul Shahrukh Khan and his daughter Katrina Kaif."

Omg it is SO not right! I don't blame the ladies for signing up for this film. A chance to (kind of) work with Yashji, and an SRK love story means it will most likely do really well at the BO. But every thing I see of this film is just lamer and lamer. Your title would have been better than the one they picked "London Ishq" Really!?

"Please let this mean that Shazahn "I'll Do Anything To Get Exposure" Padamsee is being Piggy Chopped out of the film."

I am a Priyanka fan generally, but can piggy chopped be the official term for getting your scenes cut down? This needs to be a thing.

Sal said...

Doesn't Sonam have diabetes? I feel like the "food" talk comes from the place of really loving food but not being able to eat whatever she wants. I mean, she is a slim (and gorgeous) girl, but she does not look starved by any means.

Filmi Girl said...

@Jess Hee! Glad you enjoyed... I don't know why but I was feeling extra snarky this morning. ;)

@Sal I've heard that about Sonam having diabetes, too, but if you've seen pictures of her from before, she has lost quite a bit of weight and nobody can maintain a weight loss like that without a certain level of deprivation. Plus, just from other comments from her over the last couple of years, I think she, at the very least, has a very conflicted relationship with food.

I'm not saying she's starving herself to death but she has definitely spent the last five-six years constantly hungry.

Yunus Perveez said...

gotto say that doing that Right Now Dance move so close to each other looks really weird...Like an orgy in a mental asylum :-)

Also Isn't Asin looking a bit out of place?

Filmi Girl said...

@asim L!O!L! Agreed on the orgy-looking dance but I looooved it b/c I'm nasty like that. ;)

Re: Asin, I see what you mean. She doesn't feel like she's really interacting with the rest of the cast. We'll have to see how she does in the film itself.

maxqnz said...

April 14th? AAARGH! I will be in Auckland from the 6-9th. Typical! :)

thediva_1 said...

I'm hating the "London Ishq" title!
Yash Chopra who has come up with plenty of fantastic movie titles (Veer-Zaara) is naming his movie THAT?!
I still have faith in the content though. Especially, since SRK is going to be seen in his 90s avatar again...the only avatar of his that I actually like (memories!)

And YES, I'm getting Kahaani over here in MD too! Good to see that those smaller movies are getting good distribution...but it'll be the first "non-commercial" film I'll be watching in theaters. ;)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl