Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday Gossip! YES! I'm BACK!

Oh my god, you guys! HUGE catch-up post today!

Yes, I'm back from New York City and I had a blast! Kisses to everybody I met up with in the city!


I picked up a copy of Sanjay Dutt's Rocky in Jackson Heights and had a very funny experience while purchasing it.

So, there I am, a white girl browsing the shelves. First of all, the guys working there kept trying to sell me on romantic comedies and Shahrukh films. I kept saying, "No, no... I just want to look around." Finally, they leave me alone and go back to gossiping at the counter. After some tough decision making, I picked up Rocky and brought it up to purchase.

Now, there was this auntie browsing around in the oldies with me. When she saw what I was buying she was like, "What is that? Is it good?"

The clerk and I were both like, "It's Rocky but not the new one. The new one is bad and stars Zayed Khan."

He says to me, "It's Sanjay Dutt's first movie, right?"

"Yes," I said. "It was his first film - back when he was cute!"

The auntie thinks for a minute and says, "I'll take one, too."

Now comes the awkward part because he had already told me that the price was $8... aka the "white price." And the auntie is all, "Yeah. I'm not paying that. I'll pay $2."

*tumbleweeds*

It was so funny you guys!!! At this point in my Bollywood career, I know I'm always getting the "white price" and I'm okay with that. But the look of "Oh, shit - now what do we do" on those guys' faces really cracked me up.

I paid my $8 and got out of there to avoid the awkward finale to the scene but now I kind of wish I had stayed to see what they would do if I had been like, "$2? That sounds like a good price, auntie! I'll pay it, too."


* Happy birthday to Shashi Kapoor, who turns 74 years old!

* Check out the Ghanta Award "winners"!

My fave:

Worst Film: Ra. One

* First the Bollywood corporates smash the regional distribution networks and now they have convinced the government to give them a tax holiday.

"Despite the change in titles from Dada Saheb Phalke's Raja Harishchandra to Ra.One in recent times, the industry has played a pivotal role in unifying our country in the wake of her considerable diversity. To add to this spirit of celebration, I propose to exempt the industry from service tax on copyrights relating to recording of cinematographic films," [Finance Minister] Pranab Mukherjee announced.

Money talks and the corporates have A LOT of it. Business of Cinema lays out the impact of this ruling.

* National Award winning, had a film sent to the Oscars filmmaker Ashvin Kumar, whose film The Forest has been waiting for release, has something to say.

"There is very, very good space for content-based cinema here, we just need to train our country. Today everybody is running after the star but what about content-based cinema? Filmmaker like Anurag Kashyap had to wait for years to release Gulaal and now me. I had to wait for four years. Despite content-based cinema doing well at the box-office, distribution system is ruined in Bollywood in such a way that they are only interested in one kind of film," he added.

The kind of film that deserves a tax break and wide-open access to every market in the country?

* Mid-day spills some dirt on what's happening at the Censor Board.

Contrary to the previous norm of officials not interacting with producers and directors, our source reveals, "For RA.One, Pankaja entered the venue with Shah Rukh Khan. And in the middle of the screening, stepped out to call her daughter, asking her to come there. Later, they clicked pictures with Shah Rukh. Earlier this year, Agneepath was given a U/A rating instead of A despite all the gore and violence."

And another article in the Mumbai Mirror.

* Shahrukh Khan and Farah Khan are joining forces in Happy New Year! And just an FYI for Filmi Girl readers, I've heard that the script is penned by the same woman who wrote Game, aka the absolute worst film viewing experience I've ever had.

* I'm actually really looking forward to Aamir Khan's television show - even more so now that Sukhwinder Singh is doing a song.

* Abhay Deol shares his thoughts on stardom at the India Today Conclave on Can You Be a Superstar Without Being an Actor?.

Unfortunately here, it is better to be a star than an actor. There is no point in being very artistic when you are a star. You can at least work on your acting when you are a star," he added.

Which is something Nawazuddin Siddiqui has discovered post-Kahaani.

"I didn't realise the character of Khan will get such a heartwarming response. Now that this has happened, I will only go forward. I am playing the lead in upcoming films like Moonsoon Shootout, Dekh Indian Circus, Patang, Miss Lovely and I want to continue doing lead roles. I don't want to play supporting characters anymore," Siddiqui told PTI.

But before that he'll be playing (awesome, I'm assuming) characters in Talaash and Gangs of Wasseypur.

* Read a profile on Tigermanshu Dhulia.

Dhulia, 44, was born and raised in Allahabad. In the ’80s, it was the cultural capital of the Hindi belt, with high-minded progressives and a Nehruvian sense of elite. Dhulia’s father was a judge in the Allahabad High Court and a secretary of the Students’ Federation of India, student wing of the CPM, and his mother a professor of Sanskrit. The youngest of three brothers — one joined the navy, one is a judge in the Uttarakhand High Court — he is the only one to have betrayed the family tradition. “Whatever I am today is because of those dinner table conversations,” he says.

* A famous Bollywood shooting site is now a heritage site... click through for pictures!

* An FIR has been filed against Genelia D'Souza claiming she was involved in a scam.

* Ranbir Kapoor for Bombay Velvet! EEEE!

* Zarine Khan for Partner 2.

* Shabana Azmi playing a corrupt politician in Vishal Bhardwaj's next.

* Mumaith Khan heads back to Bollywood for an item song!

* John Abraham will also be seen shaking his money maker in an item song!

* Kajal Agarwal wants you, big stars, to know she doesn't need your crappy Bollywood roles.

"By God's grace I have a successful career down south. I don't need to do Hindi films unless they're worth my while. If I've offended anyone it is unintentional."

So... we won't be seeing her in Rascals 2.

* For those of you who find her attractive... Deepika Padukone in her natural habitat, the glossy pages of a high fashion shoot in Architectural Digest.

* Malaika Arora Khan to release a fitness DVD. I wonder how many men will buy it just to watch Maliaka exercising... (And just in response to some criticism I received, no, I don't think every actress should be fat but there is a big difference between working out to be healthy and working out 8 hours a day to force your natural shape into an Abbas-Mustan approved bikini body. Some people are naturally slim and some aren't - there should be room for both in the industry.)

* Ekta Kapoor is heading to Kollywood... and is producing Junior B's next film.

* Dhoom 3 postponed again for Aamir to take time to prepare.

* Talaash release moves to November, opening room for other films earlier in the year.

* The Bandar-car and Bhansali....? I'm kind of curious what they would produce together.

* Abhishek Kapoor to direct the Hindi Magadheera?

* Milan Luthria signs on to direct a family entertainer for T-Series.

* According to the Bangalore Mirror, Pooja Gandhi's alleged nude scene in Dandupalya is reviving interest in another film on the Dandupalya gang.



Trailer for Ishaqzaade which looks like a lot of fun!



Song trailer for Do U Know Housefull 2 which calls back to one of my faves... "Churake Dil Mera" and "Mujhse Shaadi Karoge"! Do you even know how much I can't wait for this movie?



Trailer for Vikram Bhatt's Hate Story, which looks LOLTASTIC!



I know ABCD sounds bogus, you guys - 3D dance film? BUT FREAKING PRABHU DEVA IS IN IT! I WILL SEE THIS AT ANY PRICE!



Jannat 2 teaser! I never saw the first one but I remember liking the soundtrack... most importantly about this teaser, though, is that Emraan Hashmi has his "hair" situation under control and it's looking much better than his last few outings.

4 comments:

lvrplfc4l said...

Props to whoever at Netflix had Movies of Shashi Kapoor as a category on my home page today.
Nice to see Sonam Kapoor show up in person to pick up her Ghanta Award and have a laugh over it. Not my favorite actress but I like someone who can have a laugh at themself.

Divya said...

Hi Filmi. The Ishqzaade trailer seems very Tollywood in a good way. I hope it does well for Parineeti's sake. She seems very charming and interesting. Is Arjun Kapoor a star son? Did you notice in the HouseFull2 song how the girls seem almost incidental to Akshay and John's bromance. :)

Sal said...

The Ishaqzaade trailer looks fantastic! Am totally loving Parineeti Chopra - that girl has more presence than many of the top actresses combined. Also, I loved that Sonam picked up her Ghanta award - not too many Bollywood actors have a sense of humor about themselves, but she seems to.

rachael said...

Not sure how to feel about a Bollywood retread of Magadheera. I can't really imagine how it could be an improvement.

But on the positive side, Ishaqzaade looks great!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl