Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday Gossip!

Thank you so much for the overwhelming response to my piece on Preity Zinta!! It's funny but I really didn't realize how much I missed her until I began writing it and then it made me happy to see that apparently I wasn't the only one...

NOW! Agent Vinod reviews are... pretty awful. Apparently it's all flash and no substance - kind of like Players. Raja Sen calls it overlong and under-conceived. I may regret this but I think I'm still going to try to go.

And now... an interview packed post! SO MANY ACTORS WITH SO MUCH TO SAY!



* My top story today... Lilette Dubey talks about my favorite scene from one of my favorite films! THE END OF PANKH!

It still sends shivers up my spine – the scene in director Sudipto Chattopadhyay's Pankh. It was the end of the film and what a surreal one at that. My character of the ambitious cold-blooded mother, who pushes her son into cross-dressed, gender-converted film acting finds her son in a swimming pool filled with blood. However, the catch is that it isn't very clear to the audience or to me whether my son is truly in a pool of blood or I'm imagining the whole thing. I had to cry as I swam through the cold, blood-red water.

* So what if the Toronto Film Festival is six months away? READ ABOUT IT NOW!

Though the final composition of Tiff's Mumbai package will take several months to emerge, among the Mumbai films that might be in the running are Anurag Kashyap's two-part Gangs of Wasseypur, Dibakar Banerjee's political thriller Shanghai and Reema Kagti's suspense drama Talaash, starring Aamir Khan.

So, who is paying for my ticket to Toronto?

* Read a lovely interview with Parambrata Chatterjee aka Officer Rana from Kahaani.

How did Kahaani happen to you?

After acting in Bengali films for eight-nine years, in 2009, I took a break and went to UK to do my Masters in Filmmaking. While touring the continent, I received an email from long time associate and filmmaker Arindam Sil. He wanted to know when I would be back in Kolkata. Later, I got a call on my European number. When I answered, there was a splurge of Bengali gallis from the other end. Shocked, I asked who it was. It was Sujoy Ghosh.


* Katrina Kaif talks to my favorite Steven Baker!

* Will we see a reunion of the Kat-Akshay jodi? I HOPE SO! Now I kind of want to watch Namastey London again.

* Some on set pics from Rowdy Rathore.

* Madhavan gives a chatty interview... but not to me. Maddy! You owe me an e-mail!

"If you take a careful look at the remakes that have been made in the recent past, the Tamil remakes in Hindi - be it Bodyguard or other films - the only reason why they worked here was because there has been a huge lack of testosterone in the Hindi film industry for the last 10 years. We've been happy making the Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge kind of love stories which the audience will see, but at the end of the day, it is a Hindi film audience, yaar. It needs a bloody hero who has a deep voice, who is a macho man with bulging muscles and who takes out a water pump and hits people."

* Ameesha Patel is still trying, bless her heart.

* Aamir picks up another small film to produce.

* Ugh. Priyanka Chopra is so fake. She claims not to read the newspaper because she's in it so often.

"I like to stay in my own bubble. It's my way to protect myself, because I happen to be in the newspaper more often than not," she added.

Do you know what the solution to that is, PC, darling? Don't tweet every brain fart, stop having your press team feed stories to The Times of India, and stay away from filmi parties. Also, your stories are only ever in the entertainment section - and it might be worth reading the rest of a newspaper from time to time.

* Related: Piggy is just dying to work with Saif Ali Khan. Oh, dear. Begging for Bebo's sloppy seconds now are we? It looks like Priyanka is not going down without a fight.

* Maybe you had better call up the Bandar-car, sweetie, because he needs a heroine and I sure as hell don't want to see Vidya working with him... although you had better call fast because Madhur is GOING TO TRIAL FOR RAPING THAT GIRL!

* Irrfan Khan has been accused of using the casting couch by an actress from Paan Singh Tomar and I'm actually inclined to believe the facts as she put them forward.

Mamta feels she has been exploited, “In anticipation of a meaty role in the film, as allegedly promised by Irrfan, I spent quality time with him on the outdoor shoot in Roorkee (near Delhi-Haridwar Highway). I was with the actor for almost 15 days, but shot only two scenes for the film."

But knowing what little I do of Irrfan, I can only assume that he assumed that they were both on the same page about his bullshit and that she didn't really expect him to pull any strings for her. Well, play with fire and sometimes you get burned.

* And now read an interview with my favorite bullshit peddler!

In July, Irrfan will be seen playing Dr Ratha in Marc Webb’s biggie The Amazing Spiderman. Does all the talk about the size of his role make him feel pressured? “No. Bahut saari films aati hai, kisi mein aapka role aacha hota hai, bada hota aur kabhi chota hota hai. How can you pre-empt (before the film opens)? I need to watch the film before making a comment on it. At least, I was told that it’s a pivotal role. Since Marc (Webb) is a superb director, I am sure he must have made an interesting film because the script is very good,” he says.

* Wow, even Kangana was talking to the press today.

Your thoughts on marriage? I personally do not believe in the institution of marriage. Love is sacred to me, so I don't want to bind the one I love in chains or feel the need to have legal rights on his mind, body or soul. Love means freedom. When two people are in love, they can live together without having to give the relationship a name.

You and me both, sister!

* Sonu Sood is such a dork. I love him!

Sonu Sood spoke about his preparation for the role. The actor said, "I have been reading stuff on Dawood. I have sat for hours to discuss my look. A lot of homework has gone into preparing for the role. We have done so much of research for the character and the script, to get the right look.”

Is there anything more appealing that a macho man sitting and doing homework? He's intellectual and can roundhouse kick your face! Line starts behind me, ladies.

* Jackie's son Tiger is finally making his debut this year with Aashiqui 2. Or not. I feel like I've been reading about Tiger making his debut for ages now. I wonder if the delay is because he's just really fugly, really entitled, or just a really bad actor... of course, none of those things stopped Mimoh Chakroborty so who knows... maybe he's just lazy.

* There is no heroine yet for the Zanjeer remake (please don't cast Dippy or Piggy) but the producers just classed it up with Prakash Raj as the villain.

* Newsflash: super-fair gori dancers are always in demand in Bollywood.

* Vikram has finished shooting for his Hindi film with Tabu. (I want to see this so bad!)

* Ranbir Kapoor is a smart boy and refuses to work with Subhash Ghai.

* Naseer and his son team up for a gangster film.

10 comments:

Moimeme said...

Hi, FG, I just read some member reviews of Agent Vinod at Satyamshot which say it's more of a tongue-in-cheek approach. They didn't use the word "spoof", but that's the sense I got. If so, that would explain the dismal desi reviews. Since you enjoyed films like Jaan-e-man, maybe you'll enjoy AV, too.

Jess said...

Reading Akshay Katrina might team up again got me way more excited than I thought it would.

Doesn't Taran Ardash know how ridiculous his reviews are? Or is that his thing? I can't help wondering if he talks the way he writes.

Parambrata Chatterjee is way cute. He needs to be in more things.

I think PC needs to take a career management class from Katrina.

Melanie said...

Haha!! You're so funny when you bash PC and Madhur!! Yayyy!!

Filmi Girl said...

@moimeme Really? From what I read, it's not a "spoof" as much as it's just tongue-in-cheek... and Indian critics are generally good with that sort of thing. I mean, they all loved Delhi Belly, right?

I'm still going to go but my expectations are pretty low at this point.

@Jess RIGHT?! I didn't realize how much I missed them together until I saw that.

And PC needs some direction - she seems like she is trying to do too much and all of it is kind of half-assed.

@Melanie LOL! Well, self-important people are my favorite targets. XD Madhur acts (and is treated like) he's some kind of feminist genius instead of a mediocre filmmaker and accused rapist. And PC acts like the Queen of BW just because she's cozying up to SRK and courting Hollywood... plus, her comments about "never" having had plastic surgery are too much! How can anybody take her seriously!?

CoffeeQueen said...

Yes, yes you are funny! So mean and yet so true!

"Is there anything more appealing that a macho man sitting and doing homework?"

Yes! Cleaning my house!!

I am waiting for your review before dragging my family to AV. I couldn't drag them to see BodyGuard and they regretted it. I have no desire to lose my pull now thanks to SAK.

I await your verdict.

Melanie said...

@Filmi Girl Yeah I totally agree about Madhur! He thinks he's a genius who gives women great roles but behind his crappy movies, he fires Ash for being pregnant and has a rape case filled against him...The guy is creepy...And I don't know why the industry hasn't realised that yet! What more do they need!!??
About PC, yes she thinks too high of herself (acting and popularity wise) but she's not alone in that case in my opinion...lol

In any case I support you in your bashing!! Yayyy!!

Filmi Girl said...

@CoffeeQueen I will do my best! :) You never know, sometimes these films with bad reviews end up being quite good... of course, sometimes they genuinely are terrible. LOL!

And I would love to watch Sonu Sood doing housework... Mmmm... I think that would be an excellent idea for a FILMFARE photo spread if anybody from the mag is reading this. ;)

@Melanie LOL! She isn't alone in that but she is certainly VERY LOUD about it. Ha ha ha!!!

Melanie said...

@Filmi Girl Haha! Yeah! I think Kareena is very good at that game too! She's always saying "I'm number 1! I'm number 1!" when she's obiously not... But anyway, at least she's a little better on the acting front.. maybe...XD

Jess said...

@filmigirl In the words of Ron Swanson PC needs to "Never half ass two things. Whole ass one thing."

rachael said...

Saw Agent Vinod already because I'm a dork - it might be the raging Saif fan within speaking, but I really loved it. My theater somehow managed to crop off the subtitles and couldn't figure out how to fix it, and it was still completely entertaining the whole way through. What I could gather of the dialogue made it seem pretty workmanlike anyway so maybe the theater's screwup was a blessing in disguise. The last 20 minutes or so sort of lost me, but overall it was splashy stupid filmi fun, with tons of eyecandy. I kept thinking of Ra.One when I watched it - this was what I expected from that movie, and what of course I didn't receive.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl